1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 35 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a KA-BAR Becker BK5 Magnum Camp

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a KA-BAR Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, August 31 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 34 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

Kitchen knife with outdoor look/feel. Go or no go?

Discussion in 'Kitchen Cutlery & Tools' started by MP Morgan, Apr 7, 2019.

1. Hairy Clipper

Hairy Clipper Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 28, 2009
    It doesn't really make any difference what you call it, it looks like something I have had in my head for a few decades and have never found for sale anywhere. If the blade were in the area of 4½ to 4¾ or so (longer not shorter) I think it would catch on with those of us with large frames and hands to go with it.

2. cbach8tw

cbach8tw Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006
    Like the shape, looks more like a camp kitchen knife, will do the job but master of none. Keep the the belly and and have a good point, keep the knuckles off the cutting board. I saw a chef style knife made by Hardedgd Knives, Kelley Ward, that could be a good camp kitchen knife. I just liked the overall shape to it. Just my two cents. Either 4 to 4.5 inch blade, or extend it to a 6 inch blade.

3. cbach8tw

Jan 9, 2006
    Something like this. Hope ok to borrow his pic, just for the overall shape.

4. cbach8tw

Jan 9, 2006
    This is the smaller paring knife I got from him, I thought it would be a good outdoor knife, but it was in the kitchen knife for sale section. Do you see the overall shape I am referring to? Just an idea. Thanks for letting me share my two cents.:D

5. snapshot2017

snapshot2017

Jan 28, 2017
    If one is out camping in the wild any knife is better then having none when cutting your food, but at home in your kitchen it's a better idea to use a good Chef Knife.

6. FerenZs

FerenZs

Jul 5, 2019
    Great and beautiful kitchen knives! When you have well-built kitchen appliances and tools, you always can cook everything ...

Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
  7. marchone

marchone Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 13, 2013
    That looks great. A full flat grind is more useful with less splitting things.

This is the most versatile bushcraft knife I've come across. Its blade shape is as good for kitchen prep as any Wusthof and and is thick enough to cut wood with ease. It's made from M390 heat treated to 60-61 HRC.

[​IMG]

cbach8tw likes this.
  8. Drynochmorfin

Drynochmorfin

May 28, 2019
    I really appreciate when the knife is light and handy - like the one I bought at McDonald Paper (https://mcdonaldpaper.com/kitchen) - Dexter Russell cleaver that I just love to hold when cooking - it looks and feels perfect. The beechwood handle is comfortable and safe enough to use by a pro cook.