Kitchen knife with outdoor look/feel. Go or no go?

It doesn't really make any difference what you call it, it looks like something I have had in my head for a few decades and have never found for sale anywhere. If the blade were in the area of 4½ to 4¾ or so (longer not shorter) I think it would catch on with those of us with large frames and hands to go with it.

Like the shape, looks more like a camp kitchen knife, will do the job but master of none. Keep the the belly and and have a good point, keep the knuckles off the cutting board. I saw a chef style knife made by Hardedgd Knives, Kelley Ward, that could be a good camp kitchen knife. I just liked the overall shape to it. Just my two cents. Either 4 to 4.5 inch blade, or extend it to a 6 inch blade.

Hello All,

Steel: 1/8 inch thick AEB-L hardened to Rc 61-62
Blade Length: 5.5 inches from the knife tip to the end of the cutting edge
Overall Length: 10 inches
Handle: Hybrid: Stabilized Pinecone cast in red and blue Alumilite resin
Sheath: Simple Kydex pouch

Price: withdrawn: Shipped in US
I prefer PayPal and my account is kelley_ward@keysight.com (note there are two "e"s in kelley) but I take other forms of payment.

1P8szl.jpg

RwZv6g.jpg

ObN7RI.jpg

Something like this. Hope ok to borrow his pic, just for the overall shape.

Hello All,
I've been off the forums for quite a while for personal reason and thought it about time to put my work back up.

This knife I set up as a kitchen parring knife but after finishing it looks like a nice little bird and trout knife as well (without the lanyard hole)

Steel: AEB-L 3/32" thick and hardened to ~61Rc
Blade Length: 3.75" from tip to scale
Overall Length: 7.825"
Handle: Black paper Micarta
Sheath: Black Kydex. The two grommeted holes are spaced at 1" centers to fit a mini Tek-Loc if desired for carrying as a bird and trout knife.

Price: SOLD $85 delivered in US
Paypal account is (kelley_ward@keysight.com) [note: there are 2 "e"s in kelley]

mc5Tds.jpg

WMNpdc.jpg

jcr8AO.jpg

This is the smaller paring knife I got from him, I thought it would be a good outdoor knife, but it was in the kitchen knife for sale section. Do you see the overall shape I am referring to? Just an idea. Thanks for letting me share my two cents.:D

If one is out camping in the wild any knife is better then having none when cutting your food, but at home in your kitchen it's a better idea to use a good Chef Knife.

Great and beautiful kitchen knives! When you have well-built kitchen appliances and tools, you always can cook everything ...

Last edited:
This is the smaller paring knife I got from him, I thought it would be a good outdoor knife, but it was in the kitchen knife for sale section. Do you see the overall shape I am referring to? Just an idea. Thanks for letting me share my two cents.:D

That looks great. A full flat grind is more useful with less splitting things.

This is the most versatile bushcraft knife I've come across. Its blade shape is as good for kitchen prep as any Wusthof and and is thick enough to cut wood with ease. It's made from M390 heat treated to 60-61 HRC.

a4ujX3J.jpg

I really appreciate when the knife is light and handy - like the one I bought at McDonald Paper (https://mcdonaldpaper.com/kitchen) - Dexter Russell cleaver that I just love to hold when cooking - it looks and feels perfect. The beechwood handle is comfortable and safe enough to use by a pro cook.

Back