Kitchen knives too thin?

Thin knives part material better than thick knives. Yet, I still bought a Hinderer fatty. Does that make me ignorant?
That depends on whether or not you purchased it for use as a kitchen knife.

I agree with Horsewright, the fair is simply the wrong venue for pricey knives. Sure, you might get a few sales; but not enough to make it worth the time you spend there.
I actually opened this thread because the last two kitchen knives I purchased were given away because they were too thick, lol.
@samuraistuart I would have been all over that santoku you recently posted; but it was claimed a few hours before I saw it.

That depends on whether or not you purchased it for use as a kitchen knife.

Ok, so what if I did purchase it as a kitchen knife?

Very informative website you have there!

Last edited:
Some men, you just can't reach.

So you get what we had here last week...

I don't care if folks think I'm ignorant. That falls under the adage of "when you're strong, pretend you're weak; when you're weak, pretend you're strong". Life's a journey where we learn new things all the time. Sometimes the things we learn can be life-altering.

Thin is in folks, if you're slicing in the kitchen!

Aw come on, please don't put me on ignore! My comprehension skills are fine thank you. You're basically calling everyone ignorant because they don't know something. Do you know everything? That's what I thought. That, in your definition, makes you ignorant too. See how loosely I threw that term out there?

giphy.gif

Mountain bikes replaced road bikes for general riding because "people" think knobbie tires are more secure, when, in fact, they're worse on pavement.

"People" buy SUVs because they think higher equals safer, when, in fact, the opposite is true.

I'm not sure it's possible to educate the public.
I hear you.
I agree with you.
To quote an old coworker (road cyclist by the way) " Peeeeeople arrrrrre Stuuuuupid " :(.

I once was at a blacksmithing display (public). I was certainly interested, but you know what I actually bought? I bought this thing for a camp fire; a vertical stake with a sliding ring for a pot on it.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Mostly folks buy bottle openers, key rings, trivets, etc. The only damascus knives I sold are the necklace charms that I make from my scrap pieces. This probably isn't the right venue for the damascus kitchen knives as has been pointed out. We've had requests for hunting knives, and I brought one in, but it hasn't sold either, probably because it's damascus and the asking price is too high.
I posted this mainly because I'd never heard anyone complain about a kitchen slicer being too thin.

Hope you all are having as beautiful weather as we have the last couple of days, and have had time to enjoy it.

The blacksmith's thing was building KY Long Rifles versus knives. This was years before I was turned into a knife knut. But I have always been a gun gnut. The pot spike for a campfire is actually really well made.

Another blacksmith trinket I purchased was from a coworker who was just beginning to dabble making knives on a forge. He came up with the idea of making a trilobite (from a fossil cast) with pewter. It's actually really nice with a tremendous amount of detail and has a dedicated spot on a display stand.

I use some knives as kitchen knives which were not purpose designed for kitchen duties (and that means they are way thicker at the spine than necessary. I have lots of fun using them that way. Okay... I'm not the extreme guy who would use a Fairbairn-Sykes or a Smatchet to cook dinner for six. Still... it's good times. Technically speaking : a thin, long & narrow blade blows every contendant out of the water. Slicey-wise, of course.

I like a heavier knife in the kitchen too especially for halving and quartering potato's. If the knife it thin the potato's stick to it if it's thicker it pushes the halves apart the same for mellons and pineapples.

And that's why the highest-end chef knives have a dimpled finish : thinnest slices not sticky to blade. These knives are out of my reach but I don't care brushing off some cucumber or carrot slices from my low-end very thin and very slicy kitchen knives (and very prone to oxydation : keep them clean and dry...).

Victorinox is good,thats wht i use too,will try some of cold steel kitchen -butcher knives,spyderco kitchen knives are good too.These are way more useful to me for almost any task,cut better and are sharoened easy.Have some thick blades and never use them

You're working the Blacksmith booth by the museum? I picked up a long poker from you guys for my fire pit. I didn't pay any attention to the knives because I have plenty, and I specifically was looking to get the poker. One morning at the fair is all I can stand; I do the critters, and some of the displays. I never go to the shows or commercial barns. And half the darn thing is food booths which are way too expensive.

Wish I'd known you were there, I'd have paid more attention and talked a spell.

If you guys can't comprehend what I'm saying that's fine. Both of you don't seem to comprehend what is written. Just put me on your ignore list like I'm about to do with you. Everybody's satisfied!
Holy crap what a selfish pontificating know it .......don't let the keyboard hit you on the ass on the way out great attempted thread derailer! Lol

One would think that a thicker knife might be more useful in the slicing of meat and other heavy jobs whereas vegetable slicing would be handled way more efficiently by a thinner blade geometry. Similar is the idea that whereas a heavy vehicle would come out ahead in a crash, a vehicle with a higher center of gravity would be more susceptible to roll overs.

Aw come on, please don't put me on ignore! My comprehension skills are fine thank you. You're basically calling everyone ignorant because they don't know something. Do you know everything? That's what I thought. That, in your definition, makes you ignorant too. See how loosely I threw that term out there?

91bravo 91bravo - Yes, and you're completely correct! There are MANY things I certainly AM ignorant of. As is everyone on Earth. Being called ignorant would not offend me in the slightest - as long as it were true.

My point earlier - which some of you seem not to have grasped - was that the purported buyers of the OP's knives came to him ignorant of the benefits of a thinner knife for kitchen work. He then attempted to educate them on said benefits. They either could not comprehend the benefits or did not believe the OP, so didn't make a purchase for the stated reason "the spines were too thin."

After being educated on the subject, they were no longer ignorant on the topic being discussed. Being fully informed of the benefits and lack of ANY drawbacks for kitchen use it should be an easy decision. They were idiots or boneheads to want a thicker knife IMO. It is a simple subject, and a quick explanation and side by side comparison should be able to easily convince anyone of the benefits of a thinner spine and grind for kitchen work. It would of course be different if they were looking for hard-use knives for batonning or something - but that wasn't the case here according to the OP.

Back