Kitchen Knives

JK Knives

Any interest in some kitchen knives? I’m thinking paring, mid size all purpose, and maybe a 5” chefs knife. Steel would be 1/16” 440C.
I figured I better get feedback before I spend money and time on this.

What is the price range? How would the 440C compare to the O1?

440C is a stainless steel, O1 has about the least stain resistance of all knife steels. They are very, very different steels.

If you're familiar with 154cm, which has become common on many mid-range folders, like benchmade, it is very comparable to that. 154cm was created as an upgrade to 440c, both more or less being stainless ball-bearing steels (ball-bearing steels seem to make really nice knife steels, for what it's worth).

John, I would be interested in something smaller, probably, but I'm pretty happy with my clipped CBK for the mid-sized. I may be interested in a the 5" kitchen knife as I've started to dislike my santoku and have a 6.5" or 7" kitchen knife for the bigger tasks, but it's a bit large on my small countertops.

3 knife kitchen set,...seems I've heard of this before.
(5" chef knife to small IMO)
This is however not an offer to buy, as I have way too many kitchen knives.

I’ll continue to look into this, but I don’t think it will be cost effective. Really no cheaper than a comparable size knife in thicker O1. I cannot see anyone paying that much for a kitchen knife.

Nothing beats a good kitchen knife, though. I use my #9 and wouldn't mind something with a slightly longer blade, 1/16" sounds good.

I think maybe stay with small paring or boning knives with 1/16 thick blade, about 3.5 to 4.5 inches, with a kirinite handle, in 154 cm.

John,

Do you have a picture that you could show what the 5" chefs knife would look like and how tall it would be at the heel? What type of grind would you use for this thin stock? By the way I love 440C and I love what you do with O1. So either way I might be interested in a chefs knife with 1/16" steel.

I know a lot of people would probably like a chefs knife with a longer blade than 5 inches but I find that a 5" santoku does just fine for most kitchen task. I know that my wife loves a smaller size santoku or chefs knife as it is easier for her to control than my other chef knives that I have with blades ranging from 7" to 9".

I am completely happy cleaning & drying my kitchen knives after each use and don't mind a developing patina. 2 or 3 times a year, if it comes to mind, I scotch bright and resharpen and re-oil the wood handles. Certainly don't care about DW safe.

Your O1 John is better than most. Thin 440C would be an excellent user in the kitchen. I'd be interested.

Ray

I love to see people making kitchen knives and to me stainless is the way to go for most kitchen knives so I would stick with 440C unless you can get something else for a reasonable price that would get some advantage over the 440C in either toughness or stain resistance. I would say a Chef's knife 6" would be better than 5" beyond that I would say the rest of the idea seems good to me.

Back