Kith

Status
Not open for further replies.
It means "Knife In The Hat". In other words an exchange of knives among makers. Done mostly to get a critique of one's work from a fellow knifemaker.

Okay, but like, when are we doing the next one?

Is it a place a newbie should stay away from?
It depends on who ever is running the KITH. I've never participated in one on this website but I have on another. I still consider myself pretty new at this.

I think it's helpful if the makers involved in the KITH have similar skill levels. But again it's up to whoever is running the KITH.
Hopefully someone who is familiar with how they are run on here can answer your question in more detail.

Is it a place a newbie should stay away from?

In my opinion, and I know others may have a different opinion, KITHs should encourage new makers to participate. I think they are a great way for new makers to learn, especially if WIP threads are a part of the KITH. The way I look at them, if I receive a knife that I perceive to be of a lower quality than I make, I can give feedback to the maker that may help them to improve. If I receive a knife of better quality than I make, I have a knife in my hand that I can learn from.

In my opinion, and I know others may have a different opinion, KITHs should encourage new makers to participate. I think they are a great way for new makers to learn, especially if WIP threads are a part of the KITH. The way I look at them, if I receive a knife that I perceive to be of a lower quality than I make, I can give feedback to the maker that may help them to improve. If I receive a knife of better quality than I make, I have a knife in my hand that I can learn from.

This is spot on. I will amend my previous comment and say that at least for me, a KITH really pushes my skills. Especially when I know there are makers I consider more skilled than myself in the KITH.

The KITH I'm involved with now is the very first KITH I've done. I've always been a bit intimidated by them. But I've learned there's no need to be. In general Knife makers are a very friendly and helpful bunch.

OK, I'd suggest whoever is going to take charge of this, look at prior threads and follow a similar format.
For starters, what kind of knife?

I've seen 2 of these go down on this site. I'd love to do it, but hate to think I'd get a super nice piece, and someone would get my hunk of you know what. I'd definitely like to do a newbie kith though.

I love all knives. It's an obsession of mine, knives and flashlights for some reason

I've seen 2 of these go down on this site. I'd love to do it, but hate to think I'd get a super nice piece, and someone would get my hunk of you know what. I'd definitely like to do a newbie kith though.

I'm new, but i think it's good to have a mix of some experts to give us advice, and like mentioned above - if you get something really nice, you have something on hand for reference.

I can organize it. If that’s ok with everyone. Since Christmas is pretty busy, we can aim for a completion date in January? Did Natlek offer to run it? If so, I’m going to not step on toes. It’s hard to tell as English isn’t Natlek’s first language.

I was thinking about it was we finished up the last one. I was going to post this weekend to see if there was interest. It seems there is.

Warren

I can organize it. If that’s ok with everyone. Since Christmas is pretty busy, we can aim for a completion date in January? Did Natlek offer to run it? If so, I’m going to not step on toes. It’s hard to tell as English isn’t Natlek’s first language.

I was thinking about it was we finished up the last one. I was going to post this weekend to see if there was interest. It seems there is.

Warren

I think we're all new, and you taking the lead would greatly help - unless Natlek was wanting to take the reigns. I did some searching but it doesn't seem as straight forward, maybe having a seasoned veteran to outline everything and show us how one of these take off would really help. Lets get this going!! :)

If we're looking at later January for a deadline, count me in. I'll be swamped with Christmas orders until, well, Christmas Eve.

Since there seems to be several new makers interested, what type of knife is everyone comfortable making? Maybe a simple drop point or leave it open to whatever you are comfortable making?

If it isn't too complex I'm in. I have some Christmas gifts I haven't even started...

If we're looking at later January for a deadline, count me in. I'll be swamped with Christmas orders until, well, Christmas Eve.

Since there seems to be several new makers interested, what type of knife is everyone comfortable making? Maybe a simple drop point or leave it open to whatever you are comfortable making?

Drop point hunter or edc with sheath is typically be the minimum. You can go as big as you wish. I have about 15 knives ready for handles, so I should have little trouble getting something done. I don’t police entries. (If I end up do8ng this) I suggest makers who have done 10 knives or more should be good to go. Basic competency such as reasonably centered grind, an even hand rubbed or clean belt finish, no obvious structural issues, and a way to at least moderately verify heat treat. Material choices are up to the makers budget, but that said, hard maple scales are dirt cheap, and readily available. Stabilized is better, recommended, but not necessary. Preferably not paracord wrap, but if well done, why not? Minimum 3.5-4” blade unless doing a folder. Hatchets, daggers, kitchen knives are all welcome. Bladed objects in general. We guide newer makers throughout the process. I even donate steel and handle material if someone has time, but is flat broke. (You have to be able to afford about $20.00 for shipping, or don’t enter.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back