Kith

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we're all new, and you taking the lead would greatly help - unless Natlek was wanting to take the reigns. I did some searching but it doesn't seem as straight forward, maybe having a seasoned veteran to outline everything and show us how one of these take off would really help. Lets get this going!! :)

i wouldn’t call myself a seasoned veteran. Intermediate is probably a better description. I’m happy to do this if Natlek clarifies he was or was not wanting to run this first.

Drop point hunter or edc with sheath is typically be the minimum. You can go as big as you wish. I have about 15 knives ready for handles, so I should have little trouble getting something done. I don’t police entries. (If I end up do8ng this) I suggest makers who have done 10 knives or more should be good to go. Basic competency such as reasonably centered grind, an even hand rubbed or clean belt finish, no obvious structural issues, and a way to at least moderately verify heat treat. Material choices are up to the makers budget, but that said, hard maple scales are dirt cheap, and readily available. Stabilized is better, recommended, but not necessary. Preferably not paracord wrap, but if well done, why not? Minimum 3.5-4” blade unless doing a folder. Hatchets, daggers, kitchen knives are all welcome. Bladed objects in general. We guide newer makers throughout the process. I even donate steel and handle material if someone has time, but is flat broke. (You have to be able to afford about $20.00 for shipping, or don’t enter.)

I haven’t done 10 blades, but I’m confident I could produce something decent. I have some blades that fit the bill coming back from JT hopefully soonish? I don’t know how long his HT takes. Also have some Petty’s that went out to a different friend that I know will be back in time. Only thing is I’ll need sheath help - kydex or leather - willing to invest in tooling your produce something decent.

I haven’t done 10 blades, but I’m confident I could produce something decent. I have some blades that fit the bill coming back from JT hopefully soonish? I don’t know how long his HT takes. Also have some Petty’s that went out to a different friend that I know will be back in time. Only thing is I’ll need sheath help - kydex or leather - willing to invest in tooling your produce something decent.

if you have previous experience with other creative processes, you are likely fine, I had 30 years of woodworking and luthier experience before starting Knives. I had painted half a dozen cars. I’m not a great knife maker, but I can do a pretty decent knife now. Basic leather tooling isn’t that expensive. Check out the sheath tutorials in that subforum. There are a few really good guides there.

If I do this, I’ll post some guidelines for those with less experience. We did that with the kitchen Kith, ie. edge geometry, heat treat outsourced (offered by JT) and a select number of patterns. That’s too restrictive outside the kitchen knife specific Kith, but some general guidelines could be agreed upon.

Also is there any European (newbie) makers interested in this? Natlek is one, I am based in EU, but would be willing to post worldwide. I would outsource the HT here in EU and respect the guidelines by Willei71.

I've been in four KITH's from this forum and made people happy with the knives I've entered with.
But I don't like the new rule that if you don't live in the US you have to pay shipping costs double, first to the person recieving your knife plus shipping costs to your own address.
The internet is international and this forum is international. I don't think this is fair and it is against the idea of a KITH

Also is there any European (newbie) makers interested in this? Natlek is one, I am based in EU, but would be willing to post worldwide. I would outsource the HT here in EU and respect the guidelines by Willei71.

international is fine, if you are open to either keeping the draw between european makers, or if a smith overseas can’t afford it, to making up the difference in shipping. This has never been an issue in any Kith so far.

I've been in four KITH's from this forum and made people happy with the knives I've entered with.
But I don't like the new rule that if you don't live in the US you have to pay shipping costs double, first to the person recieving your knife plus shipping costs to your own address.
The internet is international and this forum is international. I don't think this is fair and it is against the idea of a KITH

no one has ever had to pay double. I can’t say everyone is in that position though. I had a knife that cost $175.00 to ship overseas. That isn’t reasonable for a new maker. It really depends on the country, so look into it. For countries where shipping is $40.00 or less, it wouldn’t likely be an issue.

I can organize it. If that’s ok with everyone. Since Christmas is pretty busy, we can aim for a completion date in January? Did Natlek offer to run it? If so, I’m going to not step on toes. It’s hard to tell as English isn’t Natlek’s first language.

I was thinking about it was we finished up the last one. I was going to post this weekend to see if there was interest. It seems there is.

Warren
No ............. but I m IN .
I can t see any reason why newbie should not organize KITH for newbie :) most likely I will ..........I m in :thumbsup:
I can t see any reason why newbie should not organize KITH for newbie :) most likely I will participate..........I m in :thumbsup:

Last edited:
no one has ever had to pay double. I can’t say everyone is in that position though. I had a knife that cost $175.00 to ship overseas. That isn’t reasonable for a new maker. It really depends on the country, so look into it. For countries where shipping is $40.00 or less, it wouldn’t likely be an issue.

Knife which I will receive goes on USA address .After that is my concern ...

I've seen 2 of these go down on this site. I'd love to do it, but hate to think I'd get a super nice piece, and someone would get my hunk of you know what. I'd definitely like to do a newbie kith though.

I love all knives. It's an obsession of mine, knives and flashlights for some reason
I'll be glad to get from you that hunk of you know what .......:)

If we're looking at later January for a deadline, count me in. I'll be swamped with Christmas orders until, well, Christmas Eve.

Since there seems to be several new makers interested, what type of knife is everyone comfortable making? Maybe a simple drop point or leave it open to whatever you are comfortable making?
This will be newbie KITH , so leave it open to whatever you are comfortable making is right way to do this .......I think ?

Drop point hunter or edc with sheath is typically be the minimum. You can go as big as you wish. I have about 15 knives ready for handles, so I should have little trouble getting something done. I don’t police entries. (If I end up do8ng this) I suggest makers who have done 10 knives or more should be good to go. Basic competency such as reasonably centered grind, an even hand rubbed or clean belt finish, no obvious structural issues, and a way to at least moderately verify heat treat. Material choices are up to the makers budget, but that said, hard maple scales are dirt cheap, and readily available. Stabilized is better, recommended, but not necessary. Preferably not paracord wrap, but if well done, why not? Minimum 3.5-4” blade unless doing a folder. Hatchets, daggers, kitchen knives are all welcome. Bladed objects in general. We guide newer makers throughout the process. I even donate steel and handle material if someone has time, but is flat broke. (You have to be able to afford about $20.00 for shipping, or don’t enter.)
I m sorry but I don t like that rules .It is newbie knife KITH .Everybody is welcome to participate and to make what they can and what they want .No rules , just make knife as you wish and can .........

Last edited:
Part of knife making is to be creative...no need for special tool to make something good.Right tool for job only shorten the build time , they don t make better product ;) Two needles and fork is all you need to make decent leather sheath:thumbsup:

Here are the standard rules used in past KITHs:

A few things to consider before joining in are:
1) Am I ready for this level of knifemaking? If your skills are still developing, it would be wiser to wait a year.
2) Am I financially ably to participate? The cost of materials and shipping are to be considered. If your recipient is in a foreign country, the shipping could be $50.
3) Do I have the time to do this to the best of my abilities? If life's pressures and previous obligations will slow down or lower the quality of your build, maybe next year will be better.

A KITH is a Knife In The Hat...and old knife exchange tradition from the depression days.
In our version, you make a knife and it will get sent by you to a recipient. No one knows who gets their knife until all are done and a random assignment program is run. People can post "I'm In" now, but there is no problem if you don't post that, or if you don't get the knife done......You are not obligated until the Dec. 1,2015 deadline when all will have to post:
" My knife is ready and in a box ready to ship."

The KITH is open to all who wish to make a knife or similar tool ( sword, hawk, etc.) that they feel represents the best of their abilities and efforts. Brand new makers and those with only a few knives under their belt should sit this out until they develop their skills a bit more. All others should just try and do a good job. We have knives from fairly new makers to master smiths. All are given with the spirit of the KITH, and received just as gladly.

There will be no exceptions to the Dec.1,2015 cutoff. If the knife isn't finished by then, you won't get a shipping label....no exceptions. ( If you need the label early ,that won't be such a problem, but no extensions.)

So, if everyone wants to, lets get started. Here is the KITH:

2015 CHRISTMAS KITH
This thread is for all those interested in joining the 2015 KITH.
While it is usually called the Christmas KITH, it can be a Hanukkah KITH, or a Winter Solstice KITH, or just "The KITH". The purpose is to make a knife and give it away to another knifemaker. In return you will get a knife from someone. No one will know who they are making the knife for until after the knife is finished, and no one will know who they will receive a knife from until it arrives in the mail.

SOME BASIC RULES :

The entrant must make, finish, and box the knife by or before December 1, 2014. Once finished, the maker can then post on the 2015 KITH - I'm Ready thread. This thread will be posted starting November 1, 2014. Photos of the completed knives can be posted on a separate KITH Photos thread.
By December 5, 2015, I will make a shipping label for each entrant, from those who have logged on the I'm Ready thread. I will have a number generator randomly assign the recipients. The only examination of the names will be to assure no one is sent their own label. I will then email the name and address to each person in the KITH.

If you are interested in becoming a part of this:

Post on this thread,
I'm In - I will make a knife by December 1, 2015.
Also, sent me an email to, sapelt@cox.net . Give me you real name, your forum name, shipping address, contact phone, and email.

At this point, that is all you need to do. I will keep track of those who are interested in participating. I will post a reminder in November. If you don't finish the knife, or if there is a conflict of schedule, there is no problem this way - the recipients are only drawn from those who have completed their entry by Dec. 1, 2015.

About the knives:
The entry can be any knife or bladesmith related item. Fixed blade, folder, axe, hawk, sword, etc. The only requirement is that it be made by the submitter ( For simplicity, I will refer to it as the knife). The workmanship should be of the best quality that you are able to do. Levels will vary depending on ability and experience, but if you feel your knife will be a suitable gift, then by all means enter. If you are just starting, and still learning the basics, perhaps sitting this year out would be best. The knife should be fully completed, and a sheath or case is advisable. You should provide all the pertinent information on the knife in a note to the recipient ( put this in the box). Outside services, such as Water Jet, Stabilization, and Heat Treatment are fine, but the workmanship on the knife should be yours.
The value level of the knife is up to you . It should be something that will be happily received by the new owner, but levels of value will vary, depending on the maker and their circumstances. It is a fun gift exchange, not a swap meet. It is not about what you get back for what you put in. Some knives will be worth $100, and others will be worth $400. I would suggest that you keep the knives in the general range of $200 in value, but it is totally up to you. No one is obligated to go beyond their means to enter this KITH.

Lets all have some fun and make some truly worthy knives.

Just to be clear (sorry if I'm being obtuse here), is your above post, Stacy, merely an example of how one is run using your KITH from 2015 as an example or are we (everyone, not just Stacy) going to use these rules for this next KITH?

If we're still deciding on the format, I'll interject that I've got another KITH I'm currently involved in that's doing blacksmith knives, so I might be interested in pounding out another one or two...

On second thought............... who cares that you haven’t done 10 blades ? Participate and do the next one for KITH :thumbsup:

I’m out. Natkek, enjoy running this. I’ve done a few of these. We already have two people saying they oppose basic rules that have been used for many years. I’ve had 50 PMs with people who never submitted criticizing everything I was doing. Have at it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back