Kizer bearing smoothness

I've recently started getting back into knives after a couple decades. I think the last time I got any knife that didn't come as a freebie or bundled with a multitool was more like 15 years ago (it may have been a SOG). Living in the Portland, OR area, I've mostly been picking up stuff from ZT and Benchmade, though I also bought a couple of newer Gerbers and CRKTs.

After going down the YouTube rabbit hole, I decided I wanted a front flipper for the novelty of it. I came across the Kizer Apus and it checked off a lot of the boxes I wanted in terms of size, aesthetics, materials, and features. Bearings obviously weren't common back in the late 90s and early 2000s. As good as a couple of the ZTs I bought are, the bearings in this Kizer are kind of insane. I find myself opening it with two hands a lot just cause I want to unfold it slowly and see if I can feel any sign of grittiness. It's kind of like gliding an ice cube across a glass table that's been covered with cooking spray.

For those who have more experience with this brand, is this smoothness common? Or did I just manage to get an unusually good sample with regard to action? There's a few minor build quality things that aren't so good, but they're mostly nit picks. But if this is what I should expect from them, I might want to pick up a couple more.

I noticed not many people replied to this thread, so I wanted to add some user experience. I have quite a few Kizers but only 1 running on bearings. The Kizer Shamshir designed by Azo. It is very smooth and is probably the only knife I own where it's impossible to fail a deployment. The detent has a big role to play in this though because it is a very hard and heavy detent, which makes the blade deploy almost like an auto. You can't actually roll it out by using the thumb studs, as soon as the detent breaks the blade is off like a rocket. I do pinch grip it open though just to feel how smooth it is when rolled, and it's seriously smooth like air, zero friction almost like you can't feel any contact, yet the lock up is solid as a rock, no blade play not even a wiggle in any direction, the tolerance is perfect. It's one of my favourite folders. Titanium handle material, bearings, S35VN for 150 with zero defects and f&f issues, if the knife was made in Europe or America it would easily go for 350+ and nobody would complain either.

Last edited:
I got a Kizer Vanguard Sheepdog XL last week and the bearings are also seriously smooth - and if I have it correctly this is more a value line for Kizer so even more impressive.

I've recently started getting back into knives after a couple decades. I think the last time I got any knife that didn't come as a freebie or bundled with a multitool was more like 15 years ago (it may have been a SOG). Living in the Portland, OR area, I've mostly been picking up stuff from ZT and Benchmade, though I also bought a couple of newer Gerbers and CRKTs.

After going down the YouTube rabbit hole, I decided I wanted a front flipper for the novelty of it. I came across the Kizer Apus and it checked off a lot of the boxes I wanted in terms of size, aesthetics, materials, and features. Bearings obviously weren't common back in the late 90s and early 2000s. As good as a couple of the ZTs I bought are, the bearings in this Kizer are kind of insane. I find myself opening it with two hands a lot just cause I want to unfold it slowly and see if I can feel any sign of grittiness. It's kind of like gliding an ice cube across a glass table that's been covered with cooking spray.

For those who have more experience with this brand, is this smoothness common? Or did I just manage to get an unusually good sample with regard to action? There's a few minor build quality things that aren't so good, but they're mostly nit picks. But if this is what I should expect from them, I might want to pick up a couple more.

After reading this comment it made me want to pick up an Apus and I'm having the opposite issue. The lockup is so tight that it had a hard time moving at all and it feels really rough when it rolls.

I'm going to try adjusting the detent and maybe that'll help.

After reading this comment it made me want to pick up an Apus and I'm having the opposite issue. The lockup is so tight that it had a hard time moving at all and it feels really rough when it rolls.

I'm going to try adjusting the detent and maybe that'll help.

How long have you had it now?

Whenever I get a new knife, I take it apart for inspection, cleaning, and quality lubrication. Aside from getting to know the knife, this can give a nice boost to action right out of the box. I have more experience with budget knives but a little grit or grime, a tiny burr, etc. could be the culprit. I also prefer known lubricants to whatever gets applied at the factory. In addition to whatever gains you get here, there can be a "break in" period for new knives.

As far as Kizer in general, I've only had their budget knives (sub-$100) but I've had several. They tend to ship relatively clean. They are better than Bestech in this respect but not as good as Civivi. Most of my Kizers run on washers but the action on my Gemini is fantastic.

How long have you had it now?

Whenever I get a new knife, I take it apart for inspection, cleaning, and quality lubrication. Aside from getting to know the knife, this can give a nice boost to action right out of the box. I have more experience with budget knives but a little grit or grime, a tiny burr, etc. could be the culprit. I also prefer known lubricants to whatever gets applied at the factory. In addition to whatever gains you get here, there can be a "break in" period for new knives.

As far as Kizer in general, I've only had their budget knives (sub-$100) but I've had several. They tend to ship relatively clean. They are better than Bestech in this respect but not as good as Civivi. Most of my Kizers run on washers but the action on my Gemini is fantastic.

I own several other Kizers and they've all been buttery smooth.

This one feels kinda odd so I think it's just a tight lock bar or tighter detent than I'm used to. The detent appears to be adjustable so I'll just give it a little quarter turn and some lube to see where that gets it.

I've only had it for a couple days so it could loosen up with use but hey, it only has two screws so I know disassembly will be easy.

My experience with my one Kizer (Genie) is excellent. The action is wonderfully smooth.

I also have one Bestech (Wibra) and the action is also wonderfully smooth.

G
My experience with my one Kizer (Genie) is excellent. The action is wonderfully smooth.

I also have one Bestech (Wibra) and the action is also wonderfully smooth.
Genie is my favorite Kizer so far.

I took apart the Apus and the lock bar was super bent so I adjusted it and now the knife is buttery. I'd say about as smooth as the Genie but different weight distribution and action. Very nice.

Back