Kizer Corto folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary W. Graley

“Imagination is more important than knowledge"
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Hi folks, this Kizer Corto was recently released, got mine from Blade HQ, good people there!

I've long been a fan of modified wharncliff blades and that's how I would categorize this folder, point being lower than center line of the handle and not a large belly on the edge.

Some Specs

Blade steel: S35VN
Blade length: 3 1/2"
Spine thickness: 3.5mm measured at the start of the spine, it tapers down to a fine point
Edge thickness: I measured approx .024" at the edge bevel shoulders
Handle length: 4 1/4"
Handle/scales: Titanium with textured G10 inserts
Handle thickness: .54" measured outside to outside of the pivot screw heads
Lock: Integral lock with steel insert that also provides over travel protection of the lockbar
Pivot system: Phosphor Bronze washers, very smooth, able to flick open easily by either of the double thumbstud installed.
Clip: tip up right side carry only, also the deck the clips base rests on is raised up slightly from the scale, that's some work to do right there!

As stated above knife opens effortlessly and locks up solid, very capable folder and nice size too. Handle is comfortable to hold albeit maybe a little thin but it rides well in the pocket. The clip when it arrived did not retain the knife as strong as I'd like, so I 'carefully' took measures to bend the clip so it provided more pressure while clipped, without tearing up your pocket too.

The inserts are well done, and nicely textured with grooves as well as very small dimples, and since they are held in place by small torx screws, you could have them replaced with something else if you so desired, mammoth ivory say ;)

Has a lanyard hold, love my lanyards...

Edge wise, I found it arrived kind a sharp, but not many arrive where I am inclined to not take it to a sharpening stone and so on this one I did just that and now it cuts very very well.

It does feel like more of a gentlemans folder to me, the blade could stand to have been slightly shorter at 3" but this works and the handle is comfortable in the hand.

Here are some images taken today;

Corto_closed by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

Corto_partial by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

Corto_angle by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

Corto_open by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

Corto_stuck by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

Corto_hand by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

Nice knife, it's kicked my Stedemon D-01 out of my pocket and relegated that to my emergency bag in my car, for the time being :)

G2

Last edited:
Awfully nice pics and nice description. I particularly like the blade sweep on that thing. And...that 3 1/2" blade is just my cup o' tea.
Don

Thanks Raj and Don, it is a dandy knife, took a few images inside tonight;

also those with sharp eyes will notice that my lanyard is no longer going through the traditional lanyard hole, I made a new one that is wrapped around the second spacer back from the end and with the black cord whipping it prevents it from slipping into the handle or going past the end of the knife, works well and makes it look and feel sleeker overall :)

Corto_closed_light by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

Corto_open_light by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

G2

Last edited:
Nice write up and great looking knife! I have to admit that I haven't really looked at anything from Kizer before but this one has my attention.

Thanks, as you might guess, I'm quite taken with this one as well, it hits about everything I was looking for in a folder.

About the only thing I'd ask in this design is to not have the edge end as it does, it can catch on material to easily, I'll eventually be rounding that sharp corner so material will slide up and out of that area, better to have ran the edge all the way back.

G2

Such a pretty knife! From your pics, it appears as if the inlay screws are recessed a bit (unlike my IFT below). Am I correct? If so, they are certainly improving with each new release. Either way, I'm super impressed with their new designs and recent releases. Definitely have a couple more models on my current wish list.

2hpprg1.jpg

Nice looking folder too right there, and yes these are recessed a bit, the larger end screws you can feel just above the scale, while the two smaller screws holding the inlay down are just about even.

G2

Nice! Then that one goes on the list along with the new SLT (A2 design). [emoji41]. And probably the Rattler A2. Just can't decide if I want another recurve or not.

••••••••••••••••••••
People are Strange, When You're a Stranger....

Nice bobtailed fob ya got going on there to ;)
G2

Nice bobtailed fob ya got going on there to ;)
G2

Thanks. But it actually looks better now. That pic was taken the day before I actually "bobbed" it right at the knot. Really should update my pic. That knot with lashing has become my new favorite lanyard style.

Dang, lately I've been noticing some really nice stuff from Kizer. I need to check them out.

Yep, worth a look for sure, they certainly have a huge variety of models to choose from !!!!
G2

Hi folks, just a heads up on the revised Corto's that will be coming out, Kizer has made a few changes as some people like the option of either Tip up or Tip down carry so they machined out a place for the new clip to be installed in either direction, overall it looks to be a much stronger clip and more positive attachment, although some, like me ;) might not like the empty hole that the choice ends up providing, but maybe there will be some aftermarket hole filler guy or gal that can make something to fill in the spot to make it blend better.

I don't have one to get photos of so don't ask :). But I'm sure there will be some out there soon with this new style.

G2

Fantastic pics, as usual Gary!!
Great write up as well! Your write up has me checking Kizer out for the first time!
Beautiful knife!
Joe

Very nice review and magnificent pics! Looking at the blade shape I would say that this should be an awesome slicer. How does it compare to the PM2 in that respect? I would say the PM2 is the best slicer out there....

Thanks, I can not speak to the PM2 slicing compared to the Corto, as I do not have one, but this does slice very well !
G2

Here you are with a Kizer... Yes, of course it's a nice write-up and beautiful pics, but I gotta point you at the PM2 just for reference sake. I may have to look at the Kizer website sometime...
Good day, sir. :)
Don

p.s. Well, I did look at their website, and am attracted to this one...Kizer Rugiada Frame Lock Knife.
The price is right; blade-steel is fine; weight and closed length; blade-shape...darn it, Gary...
:p

Last edited:
I've handled the PM2 but I was just never taken with that top lock so I never owned one, go figure right :)

G2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back