Kizer Feist and the gritty action....

What I mean is.. Take a speed safe knaf for example. We use grease on the tension rod to stop the rattling. If you add grease to the pin that's rattling it will cease making the noise. Now I'm unsure the exacts but I hope you understand what I mean.
ah... i get it now! ok will try that haha. thanks

Reactions: Mo2
In a live Instagram video yesterday Nick Shabazz indicated he wasnt too happy with the fact that Kizer decided to dump these on the market without anyway for the customer to know if it’s the corrected version or not. Said he may not even do a re-review now.

I kinda get where he’s coming from. How hard would a different version number have been?

I think this article does a good job of clarifying Kizer's position, and in my opinion they did the right thing.

http://knifenews.com/kizer-answers-feist-issues-with-second-generation/

When you look at the speed with which Kizer addressed the problem and their willingness to replace anyone's knife, you have no choice but consider this GREAT customer service and support. I think it's stupid to create a "Part Deux" situation for this knife when all they've done is refine a manufacturing process.

There aren't enough people thinking for themselves in the knife world these days. We've developed a group, social media mind set that hinders discernment. Quit worrying about what someone else says and think through the problem on your own. Anyone who's still unhappy with the way Kizer handled this has highly unrealistic expectations.

Last edited:
Completely agree with Hackenslash regarding the "herd" mentality that everyone seems to "subscribe" to nowadays. Maybe we need to get off the internet and put the darn knives to use once in a while to clear all the stink and fuss about egos of what's right and what's right... :rolleyes:

Anyway, I happened to get a solid Feist from the first batch and am truly pleased with it. After taking the knife down for an initial cleaning when received, I've had absolutely no issues whatsoever. Went back together smoothly and haven't had to touch it other than a little oiling here and there. Sure, it's got some factory flaws, but after this baby wore in, it kicked out all other ~3" blades of the pocket. Have had absolutely no issues with the S35VN heat treat, lock-up is vault-like with absolutely no play. This was my first Kizer and tickle me very impressed, even considering the backlash garnered at this knife, I couldn't recommend it enough. There's a sense of something there that I don't get with many other knives, with this knife in particular; something special for sure. I'd suggest anyone who is into the design pick up one of the QC'd Feists without hesitation or fear. The front flipper is great and the sleek design makes in pocket carry a non-hassle due to the detent and no real way for the blade to open unintentionally. Great knife not to be missed because of the initial lemonade passed out to this pool party! :cool:

If you're somehow out of luck with a lemon, send it to Kizer and they'll send you a QC'd Feist. Almost can't get any better than that if you ask me. :thumbsup:

From Knife News, October 23, 2017:

“If anybody is unhappy with the fact that they have a first generation Feist, they can exchange it at any time,” Kizer’s David Sun says. 1st generation Feists can be exchanged directly through Kizer, or with participating dealers.

Kizer doesn’t consider the refined Feist to be a sequel or full renovation of the product, so no distinguishing marks or nomenclature will be made to distinguish the blades. “When we said there were changes everybody expected it was going to be a modified Feist,” Sun explains. “It’s more of an improvement in manufacturing based on the original design.”

The Feist situation has been a learning experience for Kizer. “We could have done a better job of explaining to people what we did,” Sun tells us. The company plans to boost its social media presence for more thorough communication going forward. They’re also extending the prototype testing period, so issues are more likely to get flagged before a knife goes into production.​

Hey! I only think what Nick Shabazz tells me to. :D

Bad, bad plan. :eek: :D

Back at the ranch, I'll say that seeing the KnifeNews article was actually very reassuring. If indeed most of the pre-fix Feists had already sold, and they're providing a frictionless upgrade/repair process for people who do have troubles, then it seems like they're really doing their best to do this 'right'. Hard to get too bent out of shape, particularly if it doesn't happen again.

Both BladeHQ (20) and KnifeCenter (15) still have plenty of the old Feist in stock. I check their in stock status weekly and they haven't sold any in weeks now! The number in stock is in parantheses.

If possible, I'd like to see Kizer proactively have dealers send back old stock for the newly fixed ones.

I'm not sure. As a customer I would not like to buy something where the manufacturer knows in advance that instead of getting a good knife for my money, instead I'll have to mail it back and then hope for a good one at a later date. When I put my money down I would like to assume that what will arrive in the mail will be fit for purpose and usable. They should have done a recall from the stores.

if they do ever make a second edition i hope they develop that blade more, maybe give it a little more spine, run it the length even possibly a wharncliff like blade similar to the arcform

if they do ever make a second edition i hope they develop that blade more, maybe give it a little more spine, run it the length even possibly a wharncliff like blade similar to the arcform
Eh? More spine? Feist has plenty spine. It's more robust than a Delica. It's a lightweight EDC, it's got perfect form for its intended function.

Eh? More spine? Feist has plenty spine. It's more robust than a Delica. It's a lightweight EDC, it's got perfect form for its intended function.

dont get me wrong, i do like the knife in its current configuration that i bought a second as a user. I would just like a little more blade to complete the knife's aesthetics.

I've had my Kizer for a few weeks now and carried/used it quite a bit. Got a price on it due to the Kizer clearance sales. It's a fixed model so no issues at all. It's real slim which is why I like it a lot. I was uncomfortable opening it via the front flipper but now I'm a pro. You can also open it slowly using the front flipper. There's nothing I would change about it.

Has anyone looked into redoing the cutdown for access to the lock? I was looking at the carbon fiber on bladehq and was thinking I could just dremel a little away to make it easier to access the lock to disengage it.

Questions;

I managed to pick up a carbon fiber feast from bladeHQ for $99 today. Can I assume this will be one of the newer improved models?

Also, I know somebody made a micarta version but can’t find it now, can anyone tell me where to find micarta scales and/or anybody want to trade scales?

I just picked up a cf Feist from BHQ also and the action is super smooth. No problems flipping at all and it's my first front flipper. The micarta version was exclusive to urbanedc, but I think they're sold out.

Back