1. Week 43of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco C243PBK Edela + Misc Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Endela + Misc Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Oct 26 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Kizer Guru mods

Discussion in 'Kizer Cutlery' started by Agartha Audio, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Agartha Audio

Agartha Audio Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 20, 2015
    I'm a big fan of Matt Degnan's Guru, and recently copped the flipper w/ holes.
    I realized recently that while I love the blade shape, I'd prefer it with a little more piercing capabilities, so decided to slightly mod the blade for a more acute tip.
    Then stonewashed the scales and clip.
    Whadya think? I already loved this knife, but I'm finding myself using it even more now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. abbazaba

abbazaba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 30, 2015
    Looks great! What was your stonewash procedure?

I like mine a lot, but I've been thinking about shortening the handle by removing the "extra" part of the butt after the clip, and maybe a little up front as well. It really is a great little knife. I have the thumbstud version, but plan to get the flipper too eventually.

3. Agartha Audio

Jun 20, 2015
    Hey Abbazaba,
    My homemade stonewash setup is a small tupperware w/ a handful of river rocks from Michaels, together with a few squirts of triflow to lubricate. 45 minutes in the drier on no heat setting.
    I've been going back and forth with shortening the handle too, let me know if you decide to go that route!

4. Hackenslash

Hackenslash Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jul 25, 2014
    You do nice work! Thanks for sharing the pictures! I like the addition of the "random" holes to the handle scale. By any chance, did you check and see how much weight you reduced by drilling them out?

5. Agartha Audio

Jun 20, 2015
    Thanks man, but those holes come stock! I only modded the blade tip and stonewashed the scales.

6. Space Foo

Space Foo

Apr 17, 2016
    Love the stonewash! Nice job!

7. True Talon

True Talon

Aug 14, 2016
    Looks great - what's your procedure for modifying the blade shape?

- - - - -

www.truetalon.com

8. Agartha Audio

Jun 20, 2015
    I used a belt grinder to mod the blade. Doused in water every few seconds of grinding. Then hand sanded to finish.

9. True Talon

True Talon

Aug 14, 2016
    Thanks. I mostly guessed about grinding it but I was wondering about the heat part.

It came out great.

- - - - -

www.truetalon.com/

10. Hackenslash

Hackenslash Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jul 25, 2014
    My bad, I thought you added the small holes.

11. grownstar

grownstar

Apr 24, 2013
    Looks great, man! You should be proud!

12. degs

degs

Oct 28, 2013
    looks great!

13. Agartha Audio

Jun 20, 2015
    - thanks Grownstar!
    - Degs, thanks man - awesome design. This is my first Guru, but not the last (thumbstud version next on my radar).

14. joshnc

joshnc

May 23, 2015
    I love my Guru! The flipping action is the best. I wish all flippers that the action the Guru has. The only thing I want to do is mirror polish the holes.

15. mantzao

mantzao

Jun 16, 2011
    I believe the Guru will be my first kizer.
    A swedge like the Insingo would be awesome for piercing purposes.

16. degs

degs

Oct 28, 2013
    Thanks for the support!

17. Agartha Audio

Jun 20, 2015
    Just grabbed the thumbstud version. Gonna try chopping down the handle to the clip on this one for a slightly more compact version. Love this knife, and will probably end up with all 4 if I'm not careful...

18. abbazaba

abbazaba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 30, 2015
    Can't wait to see it!

19. Agartha Audio

Jun 20, 2015
    I'll keep you posted man. Knife should arrive tomorrow, and the mod will proceed immediately.

20. degs

degs

Oct 28, 2013
    Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!!