Kizer M390 Limited Editions Introductions

Kizer Cutlery

Follow us on Instagram: Kizer_inc
People who know Kizer clear that the most frequently-used steels of Kizer knives are S35VN and VG10. In order to make a great design even better, we upgrade some of the designs using M390 steel. “Newer steel, easier carry, faster opening” are the aims of Kizer M390 Limited Editions. We took some of our popular models and created new incarnations in M390 steel, sized down for easier carry in daily use, but retained the features that made each a crowd pleaser. Each knife is individually serialized and only produced in limited quantity.

The first model is the Flashbang M3909(ki3454) designed by Matt Cucchiara, the size-down version of Flashbang(Ki454)

Ki3454A1

2zyvach.jpg

Ki3454A2

20t5us0.jpg

Specs

Steel: M390

Handle: 6AL4V Titanium

Blade Length: 3.07’’/77.98mm

Overall: 7.28’’/184.91mm

Weight: 3.22oz/91.29g​

The second one is the Dorado M390(Ki3455) also designed by Matt Cucchiara, size-down version of Dorado(Ki455)

Ki3455A1

2r20zo6.jpg

Ki3455A2

23qxeyt.jpg

Specs

Steel:M390

Blade Length: 2.99’’/75.95mm

Overall: 7.13’’/181.10mm

Weight: 3.54oz/100.36g​

The third one is Intrepid M390 designed by Ray Laconico, variation of Intrepid (Ki4468)

Ki3468

2nsbb6u.jpg

Specs

Overall: 6.74’’/171.20mm

Weight: 3.01oz/85.33g​

The last one is Shoal M390 designed by Kim Ning, variation of Kizer home-design Shoal(Ki4469)

Ki3469A1

10cvhx2.jpg

Ki3469A2

30kzxpl.jpg

Specs

Overall: 6.73’’/170.94mm

Weight: 3.06oz/86.75g
Which other models do you expect us to upgrade and how?

u5tsm.jpg
: https://www.instagram.com/kizercutlery_inc/

An upgraded Splinter would be amazing. That's one model I really want, but have been holding back because I'm not the biggest fan of S35VN.

Yo what are you guys doing. This would have been the perfect opportunity to release a version of the Feist that isn't tainted with quality control issues. (I still can't believe Kizer made no way to distinguish the fixed Feists from the faulty Feists)

How much smaller are these versions? 75%?

These have been around for a year now!

I have the Mini Intrepid. Great little knife but overpriced.

Would like to see a Gemni or Guru with upgraded steel (v110) and stone washed, and some coolness added to the scale (at least a smooth finish)

Even more how about abandoning the star-ish look to the pivot screw and using a smooth one instead?

I would like to see a new Feist with more blade. can ground down the spacer a bit to accommodate a spear or perhaps something more wharncliff like a arcform bladeshape.

I looked at knife reviews and offerings for the past 6 months and my impulse-control was not at all good. Each knife I looked at had a personality and character of its own. Some of these are going back; not for repair but permanently.
If you read any of my reviews you will get my honest Newby opinion.
The Kizer Dorado 5A2 version, has an overall fit and finish, that makes it one of the best knives I own. I did not initially realize that my Dorado was a part of a serialized run. This one is #183/200. By now this knife is probably sold out. Also, I don't know anything about the Kizer numbering system. This Dorado has subtle changes to it from earlier versions documented in this forum. For example, the Ki345 5A2. Also note the 5A1 and the 4A2. Looking at the latter, I saw a difference in handle shape with basic engraving pretty much the same. Slight color variations inside of the engraving perhaps lend authenticity to a new run.
Now about this folder. There is no thumb stud to mar the beauty of the polished, engraved handle. The show-side scale is beautiful on this version. Deleting some blue in part of the engraving channel, creates a "less is more," look. The stone washed finish has its own look and at some viewing angles produces a partial rainbow appearance.
Blade-shape is gorgeous with the ricasso appearing to be a planned part of the design. The curve at the top of the blade is beautiful. The spine is machined ever so slightly to remove possible hot spots/edges on top. The drop to the point is gradual measuring about 11/64th's of an inch.
The 'look' of the pivot blends in well on the scales and seems to add a sort of motion in the design. While the engraving design is repeated from earlier runs of the Dorado these knives fall into the category that is neither regular production nor custom. That said, blade in my example is perfectly centered within the handle, open or closed. The lock up of the frame lock bar is rock solid and is of a reinforced design for longer useful life. Metal to metal contact appears to be at the 50% range. (To make this estimate, I looked at the engagement points under a 5X magnifier.
The frame appears elegant with a single stand-off held in place by recessed Torx screws. This insides of the Ti scales are polished, further adding to the jewel-like aspect of this collectible/capable EDC. The interior of the scale scallops have chamfers and the edges are polished. Details!
The size and spacing of the information-engraving on the blade is pleasing to the eye. Lettering and logo appear to be perfectly fitted on the ricasso in the 40%-to-center range. The M390 Steel information and model/run numbers add to the knife design.
Capital & small letters are used to name the knife "Dorado," on the blade. The serial number on the blade flat includes both the specific number & the total run number. How cool is that? This with other subtle changes differentiate this knife from other runs along with aforementioned design differences.
The top of the blade has the extremely classy "Cucchiara" (designer) name engraved in the center top of the blade's thickest part. This is reminiscent of artist designed side engraving as done on some military medals and coinage on the side. This is again, a detail that took time, energy, planning and labor to execute.
Because there is machining of curves into the scales, they appear to be subdued and thinner than they otherwise might look without this design detail.
The choil is just sufficient for choking up on the blade, but may be seen as a sharpening choil.
The flipper tab has 2 jimps in it, just enough to adequately effectuate deployment. This is perfect for flipping and the tab is machined just right so that no soreness develops with extended flipping practice.
Another "custom" aspect of the Dorado is the machining of the right-handed thumb space for better access to reach the lock-bar. Unlocking some framelocks is a chore without this relief. This detail is not so obviously noticeable, yet is just sufficient to make unlocking more of a pleasure than a chore. The blade has a currently popular element, the curve on the sharpened edge, providing a flowing line and the possibility for slicing and dicing a variety of herbs, salad ingredients, meats and the like. The grind to the edge is gradual. Not terribly thin, the blade is meant to be strong. The blade comes from the factory quite sharp, in part due to the sharpening angle, which I did not measure. Finishing the blade description, the swedge runs along about 50% of the length of the blade and is artistically rendered. The sum of the blade work yields for the user enough "spear" to pierce, if required.
The Dorado has no lanyard hole, but the stand-off on the handle allows the owner to put a lanyard on the end if desired. Building the lanyard onto the knife would work as well as disassembling the knife to get a pre-made lanyard around the stand-off, and between the scales.
Keeping this knife in pocket (if it doesn't somehow become a collection queen) is the clip which is anodized in a gradient of purple color on the clip's visible side.
It is held in by two Torx screws. Both are recessed. The clip has a similar design to that of some Reate produced clips for their Ti knives except that the outer top of the clip is machined with a chamfer-at-an-angle with the screw-hole with the top Torx screw position dropped being countersunk or machined, so that the screw head is mostly recessed. That detail is extreme but it is characteristic of the design and execution of this knife throughout the build.
The overall effect of the polish upon the look of the knife is stunning. Yes, I spent some coin on this knife but this knife is well worth it. The Dorado is as good of an execution on a short run knife that I have seen. For now this one stays in my collection. I can't see it going anywhere else for any reason that I can now see.

Last edited:
I looked at reviews and offerings of all kinds and my impulse-control was not very good in the past 6 months or so and it would be embarrassing to detail the company and model of each knife that assisted me in parting ways with the legal tender. Each knife had a personality of its own and its own character. Some knives are going back; not for repair but permanently. If not, then auction or for sale at one of the sites. Anyone catching any of my reviews on those who takes my review at face value and with validity will not want to buy those knives unless they can smith them, themselves. The Kizer Dorado 5A2 version, is not one of those knives. Overall fit and finish, to me, comes in as one of the best knives I own. That does not include any of my 1, 2, 3, or 5 K dollar knives, because I do not own any of those. I am not sure that I realized that the Dorado is a serialized run. This one is #183/200. That means pretty much by now this knife is sold out. I don't know anything about the Kizer numbering system, but I imagine that the Dorado has subtle change or changes to it to account for change in model number. This one is Ki345 5A2. I see above that there is a ...5A1 and also a ...4A2-Looking at the latter, I immediately see a difference in the handle shape with basic engraving the same. There are also slight color variations in the engraving, part of it being due to being hand-worked, and part of it possibly being part of that slight change for model or run differences. Now about this folder. I love that there is no thumb stud to mark the beauty of the polished and engraved handle. Show side scales are beautiful on this version. Deleting of the use of blue in the engraving that goes through and near the pivot is an example of, "less is more." The stone washed finish is impressive and has its own look and in some lighting even produces a slight rainbow effect of certain colors. Blade-shape is gorgeous with the Ricasso being part of the design that looks like a warncliffe on its own, a bit. The curve of the top of the blade is just a beautiful, with the edge still being square but machined ever so slightly to remove any sharpness on the edge. The drop to the point is not sudden but still finds 11/64ths" of drop distance on my example. Far from wanting a smooth pivot, the that it has adds to the motion of the design. While the design is repeated on the knives, these are production. That said, my blade is perfectly centered within the handle. The lock up of the bar end against the blade's thickest point is substantial, more than I find in my Sebenza. The reinforced lock-bar seems to me to be at 50% when I look at it under 5X magnification. The frame is so elegant with that single stand-off with handle-recessed Torx screws locking the handle together there. This insides of these Ti scales are polished, further adding to the jewel-like aspect of this collectible but capable EDC. The interior of the scale scallops are chamfered, machine to a slight rounded eliptialshape and then those inside scallop edges are polished. Details! The engraving on the blade is not too large and the information is no more and no less than needed. Name and logo perfectly fitted on the Ricasso in the 40%-to-center range. And then the M390 Steel information with the model and run number under that closer to the handle, but with just enough room for the spacing itself to lend to the design of the knife. Art! Flipping this flipper over, the Capital & small letters spell out, "Dorado", spaced in the same manner as the name of the knife manufacturer on the opposite side. Inboard towards the pivot is the serial number which includes the specific number/the total run number. How cool is that? Takes more time and more work. This is awesome as it marks the knife similar to the rest, but unique in that aspect over and above the hand work differences. The top of the blade has the extremely classy "Cucchiara" (designer) name engraved in the center top of the blade's thickest part with the visual of the name extending into the handle near the pivot and also out over blade only area as well. Reminds me of military medals engraved on the sides or some coinage doing that. Again, a detail that took time and energy, planning and labor to execute. Because of the thickness of the scales being subdued by all the curves and machining, they visually appear to be substantially thinner than the blade stock. Once again, this lends to an artistic flare on blade steel acknowledged to be one of the new supersteels. The choil is just sufficient for choking up on the blade, but may be seen as a sharpening choil with flowing linesas it leads to the flipper protrusian which has 2 jimp relieves in it. Perfect for flipping and machined just right so no soreness develops when practicing the flip. Another "custom" aspect is the machining of the right-handed thumb space for access to reach the lock-bar to unlock the knife via the above mentioned reinforced frame-lock. it is not terribly noticeable yet is just sufficient to make unlocking more of a pleasure than a chore. That blade has that ancient element of the curved blade on the sharpened edge side for an artistic flowing line. The grind leading to that edge is not extreme, but gradually descends to where it gets its edge.Not terribly thin, the blade is meant to be strong. The blade comes quite sharp, in part due to the sharpening angle, which I did not measure. Finishing the blade is the swedge that runs along about 50% of the length of the blade and is artistically rendered. The sum total yields a blade that has enough "spear" to pierce is required. There is no lanyard hole but the stand-off on the handle allows the owner to put a lanyard on the end if desired. Building the lanyard onto the knife would work as well as disassembling the knife to get a pre-made lanyard onto and between the scales. Keeping this knife in pocket if it doesn't somehow become a collection queen is the clip which is annodized in a gradient of purple color on the clip's visible side.It is held in by two Torx screws. Both are recessed. The clip as a similar design to that of some Reate produced clips for their Ti knives except that the outer top of the clip is machined & chamferred at an angle with the screw-hole for the top Torx screw, none-the-less being countersunk or machined as such so that the screw head is mostly recessed. That detail is extreme but it is characteristic of the design and execution of this knife throughout. The overall polish effect upon the look of the knife is stunning. Yes, I spent some coin on this knife but this knife is worth it to me. It is as good an exeution on a short run or any knife for that matter that I have seen. This one stays in my collection. I can't see it going anywhere else for my lifetime.
You've obviously put a lot of thought into your write up. You might consider a proof reader and some paragraphs. I tried a few times to follow your discourse and gave up each time.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1OepNr_D4lqbdTFqdqWl1rmAd4bOzPzJe6J0iEWrdJGU/htmlview

Anyone at Kizer know why they heat treated the m390 at 58hrc vs the norm of 60-62?
With a sample size of 1 this may just be the only one this way... Until more get tested to show a larger picture. But why use m390 if it's not in the optimal range? Might as well stick with the s35vn. 58hrc imho is way to low unless it's gone through a deep freeze cryo process for 12-24 hours like Buck Knives does with the BOS heat treatment. To me this is just putting a steel that's popular on a knife to sell it based off of paper specs.

Last edited:
I looked at knife reviews and offerings for the past 6 months and my impulse-control was not at all good. Each knife I looked at had a personality and character of its own. Some of these are going back; not for repair but permanently.
If you read any of my reviews you will get my honest Newby opinion.
The Kizer Dorado 5A2 version, has an overall fit and finish, that makes it one of the best knives I own. I did not initially realize that my Dorado was a part of a serialized run. This one is #183/200. By now this knife is probably sold out. Also, I don't know anything about the Kizer numbering system. This Dorado has subtle changes to it from earlier versions documented in this forum. For example, the Ki345 5A2. Also note the 5A1 and the 4A2. Looking at the latter, I saw a difference in handle shape with basic engraving pretty much the same. Slight color variations inside of the engraving perhaps lend authenticity to a new run.
Now about this folder. There is no thumb stud to mar the beauty of the polished, engraved handle. The show-side scale is beautiful on this version. Deleting some blue in part of the engraving channel, creates a "less is more," look. The stone washed finish has its own look and at some viewing angles produces a partial rainbow appearance.
Blade-shape is gorgeous with the ricasso appearing to be a planned part of the design. The curve at the top of the blade is beautiful. The spine is machined ever so slightly to remove possible hot spots/edges on top. The drop to the point is gradual measuring about 11/64th's of an inch.
The 'look' of the pivot blends in well on the scales and seems to add a sort of motion in the design. While the engraving design is repeated from earlier runs of the Dorado these knives fall into the category that is neither regular production nor custom. That said, blade in my example is perfectly centered within the handle, open or closed. The lock up of the frame lock bar is rock solid and is of a reinforced design for longer useful life. Metal to metal contact appears to be at the 50% range. (To make this estimate, I looked at the engagement points under a 5X magnifier.
The frame appears elegant with a single stand-off held in place by recessed Torx screws. This insides of the Ti scales are polished, further adding to the jewel-like aspect of this collectible/capable EDC. The interior of the scale scallops have chamfers and the edges are polished. Details!
The size and spacing of the information-engraving on the blade is pleasing to the eye. Lettering and logo appear to be perfectly fitted on the ricasso in the 40%-to-center range. The M390 Steel information and model/run numbers add to the knife design.
Capital & small letters are used to name the knife "Dorado," on the blade. The serial number on the blade flat includes both the specific number & the total run number. How cool is that? This with other subtle changes differentiate this knife from other runs along with aforementioned design differences.
The top of the blade has the extremely classy "Cucchiara" (designer) name engraved in the center top of the blade's thickest part. This is reminiscent of artist designed side engraving as done on some military medals and coinage on the side. This is again, a detail that took time, energy, planning and labor to execute.
Because there is machining of curves into the scales, they appear to be subdued and thinner than they otherwise might look without this design detail.
The choil is just sufficient for choking up on the blade, but may be seen as a sharpening choil.
The flipper tab has 2 jimps in it, just enough to adequately effectuate deployment. This is perfect for flipping and the tab is machined just right so that no soreness develops with extended flipping practice.
Another "custom" aspect of the Dorado is the machining of the right-handed thumb space for better access to reach the lock-bar. Unlocking some framelocks is a chore without this relief. This detail is not so obviously noticeable, yet is just sufficient to make unlocking more of a pleasure than a chore. The blade has a currently popular element, the curve on the sharpened edge, providing a flowing line and the possibility for slicing and dicing a variety of herbs, salad ingredients, meats and the like. The grind to the edge is gradual. Not terribly thin, the blade is meant to be strong. The blade comes from the factory quite sharp, in part due to the sharpening angle, which I did not measure. Finishing the blade description, the swedge runs along about 50% of the length of the blade and is artistically rendered. The sum of the blade work yields for the user enough "spear" to pierce, if required.
The Dorado has no lanyard hole, but the stand-off on the handle allows the owner to put a lanyard on the end if desired. Building the lanyard onto the knife would work as well as disassembling the knife to get a pre-made lanyard around the stand-off, and between the scales.
Keeping this knife in pocket (if it doesn't somehow become a collection queen) is the clip which is anodized in a gradient of purple color on the clip's visible side.
It is held in by two Torx screws. Both are recessed. The clip has a similar design to that of some Reate produced clips for their Ti knives except that the outer top of the clip is machined with a chamfer-at-an-angle with the screw-hole with the top Torx screw position dropped being countersunk or machined, so that the screw head is mostly recessed. That detail is extreme but it is characteristic of the design and execution of this knife throughout the build.
The overall effect of the polish upon the look of the knife is stunning. Yes, I spent some coin on this knife but this knife is well worth it. The Dorado is as good of an execution on a short run knife that I have seen. For now this one stays in my collection. I can't see it going anywhere else for any reason that I can now see.
It is now 2/13/2019, and I read your analysis of my submission and you were and are absolutely right. I made some editing changes. I don't know if the review is any better, but now I hope you and others can at least read it. The first review happens when I'm too much in a hurry or too tired. Thank you for the constructive criticism. Hopefully I will A) Improve; B) Shorten things up.

It is now 2/13/2019, and I read your analysis of my submission and you were and are absolutely right. I made some editing changes. I don't know if the review is any better, but now I hope you and others can at least read it. The first review happens when I'm too much in a hurry or too tired. Thank you for the constructive criticism. Hopefully I will A) Improve; B) Shorten things up.
I'm glad you took it as constructive. The last thing I'd like to do is discourage a fellow Knife Knut from sharing their experiences and observations. Keep posting your reviews!

Like Mo said, what's the point of having soft M390?
I think I'll pass. I already have a Kizer that I like everything about, except the S35VN is on the soft side.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1OepNr_D4lqbdTFqdqWl1rmAd4bOzPzJe6J0iEWrdJGU/htmlview

Anyone at Kizer know why they heat treated the m390 at 58hrc vs the norm of 60-62?
With a sample size of 1 this may just be the only one this way... Until more get tested to show a larger picture. But why use m390 if it's not in the optimal range? Might as well stick with the s35vn. 58hrc imho is way to low unless it's gone through a deep freeze cryo process for 12-24 hours like Buck Knives does with the BOS heat treatment. To me this is just putting a steel that's popular on a knife to sell it based off of paper specs.

I put my money on the "just too small number tested" and this being an exception. I have not tested those Limited Edition Mini's with M390 but recently did test two pieces of the Mjolnir with M390 and those had 60.9 and 60.8 HRC.
Their S35VN knives (tested many over the years) always were in the 58.5 to 60 HRC ball park.
Btw; hardness is not the only criteria important to a knife steel! Toughness and wear resistance are just as important.

Edge retention can be somewhat of a factor when purchasing a folder with higher end steel.

Reactions: Mo2
I put my money on the "just too small number tested" and this being an exception. I have not tested those Limited Edition Mini's with M390 but recently did test two pieces of the Mjolnir with M390 and those had 60.9 and 60.8 HRC.
Their S35VN knives (tested many over the years) always were in the 58.5 to 60 HRC ball park.
Btw; hardness is not the only criteria important to a knife steel! Toughness and wear resistance are just as important.
KdFxppj.jpg

hmm, 53hrc s35vn, 58hrc s35vn and 58hrc m390.
hopfully more get tested, that 53 is not idea, but i suspect that will happen for any brand once in a while. thats only 2 in s35vn. dunno when more will get added.

KdFxppj.jpg

hopfully more get tested, that 53 is not idea, but i suspect that will happen for any brand once in a while. thats only 2 in s35vn. dunno when more will get added.
and another low one in s35vn at 55hrc. Skip to 9:13 in the video.

KdFxppj.jpg

From that same chart, I skipped down the the disorganized recent additions and found their Acuto 440C tested at 54, far from the advertised 58-60.

Troubling.

Back