Kizer Sliver questions

I tried to ask in the "Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment" subforum.
I did so with no luck so I'll allow myself to bring this thread here (hope I'm not breaking any rule).

Here's what's been bothering me :

I've had the Kizer Sliver (Ki4419A3) for well over a year now and even if I like the design and the slicy blade, I never used it much.
This is because of the fact the the thumbstud action is pretty demanding and it actually does hurt between my fingers and my nails when i open it several times in a day (lifting the nails because of the amount of force needed to pass the detent).

Today, I tried to fix the detent of this linerlock. I've manage to reduce it but it's still hurting me after a few openings. I've also discovered that the blade is surrounded by 2 phosphore bronze washers sandwiching a nylon (i think) ultra fine washer on both sides of the blade

I've seen numerous people talking about this knife as a correct knife with a correct action. That's why I'm wondering if the problem does not come from this weird washers configuration. Here's some pictures to illustrate my situation.

NTQSUQu.jpeg

MX0C1UR.jpeg

Is there other owners of the Kizer Sliver with some knowledge about the washer situation ?
Is it the same for you, is it different?
It often makes an unpleasing noise when opening and closing, due to the nylon washer sandwiched between the phos-bronze ones.

Any people with experience on this knife or having any idea how to improve, soften the action ?

Thanks a lot for your help,
Robin.

Last edited:
In my experience the nylon and phosphor bronze setups take some time to fully break in, but can be pretty nice and hydraulic after. I've taken the nylon out before and recall having mixed results, one knife was tough to get the play out of and for another it felt like a direct upgrade to the action.

The bronze washers were pretty badly finished, i think that this is one of the reasons the action makes a bad noise.
I thought about removing the nylon washer, but this didn't seem like it would work well !

Apparently, I'm gonna receive washers for the pivot, two different configurations. There's also an entire liner for the lock part, since the detent was crazy heavy to the point I was hurting myself.

Maybe there's like a unique bigger bronze washer option ! We'll see, it says it is in the Netherlands, so not too long of a wait if everything goes smoothly.

Interesting thread. I too have had a stellar response from Kizer, concerning a pocket clip that I snapped, trying to adjust the tension. That was back in 2018 and I had just bought the Sliver new so I assume it was a 2018 model.

I haven't torn my Sliver apart (apart from loctite-ing loose scale screws and replacing the clip) so I don't know how the washers are in mine, but shining a light into the pivot, I only see one bronze washer per side. It could have a similar setup as yours was, but my Sliver works just fine the way it is. Unfortunately it really doesn't get much pocket time but since it's my only Kizer it won't be going anywhere anytime soon.

Interesting thread. I too have had a stellar response from Kizer, concerning a pocket clip that I snapped, trying to adjust the tension. That was back in 2018 and I had just bought the Sliver new so I assume it was a 2018 model.

I haven't torn my Sliver apart (apart from loctite-ing loose scale screws and replacing the clip) so I don't know how the washers are in mine, but shining a light into the pivot, I only see one bronze washer per side. It could have a similar setup as yours was, but my Sliver works just fine the way it is. Unfortunately it really doesn't get much pocket time but since it's my only Kizer it won't be going anywhere anytime soon.
I have so many knives like that, unfortunately lightly loved but not going anywhere because I'll love on em later I hope

This knife is weirdly used a lot for eating. It has the profile of a classic custom dining knife from France. This makes it really familiar for me to use in these situations ! I don't carry it much out, but when I eat at my place or go to restaurants, it finds it's way into my pocket pretty often :D.

The single thicker bronze washer on each side is a configuration that I like way more. There is no parasite sounds and it is still smooth on opening and closing. The blade won't drop when i relieve the pressure of the linerlock but that's mainly because I accept no play in my folders :p.

I’ve been looking at a couple Kizer knives for a while as I hadn’t decided whether or not to purchase but after reading this thread and seeing the way they took care of a customer I will be hitting the submit order button! I love supporting companies who take care of their customers!

I’ve been looking at a couple Kizer knives for a while as I hadn’t decided whether or not to purchase but after reading this thread and seeing the way they took care of a customer I will be hitting the submit order button! I love supporting companies who take care of their customers!
Thank you for your support!!!

Back