Klecker KLAX AXE/Hatchet

I'm more of a pocket knife kind a guy. However, just recently I got my hands on this Klecker KLAX Lumberjack AXE. I get it! It's designed after a axe but really it's more of a hatchet size. I could see how it would be a great back packing item to carry as well as a good pocket knife & fixed blade. The AXE head slides into the oak (light weight) handle with pin inside groove, then you loosen the clamp on the axe head, rotate the claws, slide into the handle & screw the claws tightly around the handle.

Has anyone else got there hands on one of these & used it? Just wondering how well it holds up.

xkwx.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

not many of us have tried it but you are about to be crucified for heresy against the norm. the only draw backs i can make out from the diagram are inability to split large wood, not much weight and it might slide around on the handle after a few swings. why dont you use the search thing on the forum, look for a review, and if there isnt one, make your own

not many of us have tried it but you are about to be crucified for heresy against the norm. the only draw backs i can make out from the diagram are inability to split large wood, not much weight and it might slide around on the handle after a few swings. why dont you use the search thing on the forum, look for a review, and if there isnt one, make your own

let the lynching begin, lol.

randy

A small Rinaldi Calabria pattern axe with a 350g head weighs less, has no moving parts, a vastly superior geometry for both chopping and splitting, costs 2/3 less, is made in Italy instead of China, and has a more secure method of handle attachment that requires no special tools besides the head itself to fashion one in the field. I see zero benefit in the Kleckers besides novelty. Or if you actually want the extra heft, there's a 400g model that's still technically 8g lighter with all the other previously mentioned advantages.

Now if folks want to buy the Klax for the fun factor, that's totally fine. I love gizmos too. But if looking for a serious pack-friendly emergency axe it's a horrible option by pretty much every imaginable metric.

Congrats on the new tool, though. It definitely accomplishes the chief goal of a novelty: being novel. :)

Honestly, it looks absurd. There's a YouTube video of an Oregon logger felling a large Doug fir -- maybe 150 feet tall -- with a light tap of the Klax on a wedge.

The steel is just 420J -- basically, stainless surgical steel.

I don't see how it can split wood rounds with the handle protruding off the side. Most of the tools seem useless. The target demographic of this axe seems to be 10-year-olds.

Funny to think about.

I can appreciate the ingenuity if the thing, but I think a small hawk head would probably function much better. I think it's an overly complicated solution to a problem which had already been solved millenniums ago.

If I had to choose between this and a piece of chert, I would​ choose the chert.

I bet I can break it in under 2 minutes just by chopping wood.

I bet I can break it in under 1

that thing looks useless...its not an axe thats for sure. maybe some kind of multi tool that's good at nothing, and horrible at everything else.

Cool, here's my preferred light weight chopper. 8oz head 12oz over all, made in the USA, $26. It's a Vaughan Sub Zero Sportsman's Axe that I may have done some slight tweaking to.

32797255214_4c7e2c9d62_h.jpg

Looking forward to seeing how the lumberjack performs.

Hey Gasouthernboy, please don't take the straightforwardness of some folks here to express their feelings towards this as something personal. Just wanted to say that. Folks using such implements will develop an eye for what works and for what doesn't and will be quick to let anyone know :). It's better to find out this way, than relying too much on something and having a nasty surprise later.

Anyway, thanks for posting, I didn't know such thing existed. You may want to stick around, there's a bunch of very nice folks frecventing this section of the forum.

There must be something to them.
Those things have huge fanclub. The Kle Klax Klan.

I decided to have a little google for these to see what people had to say about them.
To my astonishment they have a version called the "feller" which you have to tie onto your handle..and it costs a cool $140 usd.
That's right, you can pay $140 for an anemic ax head (weight is listed as 459gm /1lb 2oz, which I assume includes a handle) which you need to "lash" onto a handle...I mean wtf. I fail to see how that would be better at anything than a regular hatchet.
If the ability to remove head from haft is important, or the selling point that this has going for it (I cant imagine what else the selling point may be??)...then a cold steel tomahawk or something would be 100x better and cheaper.

edit; the $140 price tag does not include handle

Good News! I actually won it in a giveaway! As it retails for $210 as pictured above. There is no way in He-double hockey sticks that I would spend that kind of money on a novelty axe. I feel the same way towards it. It's one of those: "Hey, checkout this one of a kind axe I had made". I'd go to Lowes for a real AXE or Hatchet. Also, I'll stay away from the HUGE fan club. Wouldn't want to get axed to death.

The only actually use I see out of this is for taking 1'' tree/brush limb down to make a trap, collect wood for a small camp fire. Let's be honest who goes camping anymore? I had a couple new one man pop up Marine Corps tents for sale last month for the longest time. Finally a friend bought them off of me for his kids. Sure they will only going camping in their backyard.

Let's be honest who goes camping anymore?

Obviously you don't live in Washington State. Head up into the Cascade Mountains on any summer weekend and you'll discover that half the population of Seattle is out there camping. On big weekends like Memorial Day, 4th of July or Labor Day you'd be hard pressed to find a flat spot for a tent in the whole damn state.

And the more popular backpacking areas are by permit only so they don't get overrun.

It's cool that you won it :). Congrats. You could also convert it into $ :).

Obviously you don't live in Washington State. Head up into the Cascade Mountains on any summer weekend and you'll discover that half the population of Seattle is out there camping. On big weekends like Memorial Day, 4th of July or Labor Day you'd be hard pressed to find a flat spot for a tent in the whole damn state.

And the more popular backpacking areas are by permit only so they don't get overrun.

Holy heck, for the low price of $595.00 you can get the titanium version....

MOONW, I'm already working on trying it into cash. I wish to buy another PEW PEW. Now that I've got one for concealed carry & need one for the house. Don't want to leave my wife at home without one. So for now I just carry of pocket knife.

SQUARE_PEG, I live in the South; hints that name. I had a pair of Marine Corps 1 man pop-up tents & no one around me was interested in them. So I posted them on my Facebook account to see if any of my friends back home wanted them. Only took a few hours & they sold. Kids today don't get the Father & Son time like Cub Scouts or Boys Scouts in order to learn Survival Skills. Most sit inside all day playing video games.

DEADFALL27, I don't know who the heck would spend $595 for that kind of wall art. It's crazy!!! I could pick up an AR-15 or a nice pistol for that price.

By the way it's posted on the most popular auction site & ends tomorrow. I've actually got 10 people watching it & 5 bidders so far. So if you wish to see what it goes for go search Klecker Klax. You'll see the same pictures I posted here.

Back