Kme or Edge pro ?

Regarding those of you using a KME vs the Edge Pro. Do you have any problems/restrictions/wants on the smaller stones vs the ones for the EP?

I went from EP to KME and was concerned about the 4" stones vs 6". Any questions in my mind were solved the first time using the KME. Absolutely no problem, just shorter strokes. But the gold diamond stones are the way to go.

I believe they now include 4 stones now (including an extra course). When I purchased, they only had the three, starting with 300 grit (300/600/1500). I trashed my first 300 diamond being a bit heavy handed with some tough steels. Ultimately I ordered a 100 and replaced the 300.....many blades ago. But I kind of wish I would have chosen the 140(or is it 160?) instead. The 100 has some real teeth, and quite a jump to the 300.

•••••••••••••••

Sent from my mind....using Tap-a-Thought. (tm)

SFRIGON1 said "I put some cash aside for a knife and realized what good are they if they aren't sharp ! Narrowed it down to the two best as far as I could tell from research, any thoughts would be appreciated."

I have an Edge Pro and a Spyderco Sharpmaker. The Edge Pro I use for reprofiling, the Sharpmaker for touching up the edges after hard use. The Sharpmaker is smaller and easier to use than the Edge Pro. I'm happy with both, but I'm not into edge polishing or using a knife as a razor.

Here are some videos that may be of some help in understanding these two sharpening systems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7H9Kux4TAE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY6DJ0PQxyA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI9ae283-Ns

Last edited:
I love my KME but I only use it to reprofile an edge. No way I'd use it or any other clamped system for maintaining an edge.

Once my edge is set where I want it I mostly just strop, use a Work Sharp Bench or Field for more serious touchups.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

100% agree. I use a strop all the time. For wear resistant steel, I use very firm leather strops with Bark River CBN Emulsions in either 16 or 8 Micron. The CBN works MUCH MUCH MUCH better than the green / black compound on 3V of 20CV.

Regarding those of you using a KME vs the Edge Pro. Do you have any problems/restrictions/wants on the smaller stones vs the ones for the EP?

Good question. I thought about this too before I purchased and started using my KME. It is not an issue.

The only knife I had difficulty sharpening with the KME was my BK9. The BK7 and anything smaller was fine, but 8" seems to be about the limit for easy sharpening. To be clear, you absolutely can sharpen longer knives with the KME. It is not difficult, but just not the same simple process as with other knives. Personally, I prefer to use another tool for longer knives.

I went from EP to KME and was concerned about the 4" stones vs 6". Any questions in my mind were solved the first time using the KME. Absolutely no problem, just shorter strokes. But the gold diamond stones are the way to go.

Good question. I thought about this too before I purchased and started using my KME. It is not an issue.

The only knife I had difficulty sharpening with the KME was my BK9. The BK7 and anything smaller was fine, but 8" seems to be about the limit for easy sharpening. To be clear, you absolutely can sharpen longer knives with the KME. It is not difficult, but just not the same simple process as with other knives. Personally, I prefer to use another tool for longer knives.

You guys are awesome. Thank you for that feedback.

Thanks everyone for all the feedback it looks like the kme will be shipping out in the next couple days 😊 any tips on how to slow down the wear on these diamond stones ? I'm noticing with my other setup that they are wearing out fast ,is this because of the steel I'm sharpening ? Should I use honing solution always ? Any input would be appreciated thx

Diamond stones wearing out fast?!

Please define 'fast' - weeks, months, years?

I have diamond stones and rods, some 2yrs old, that show little to no signs of wear. I don't sharpen with them that often but always something at least once a month - garden, field, kitchen, utility, EDC for myself, friends, and neighbors.

First rule of thumb with diamond or CBN stones and rods is only use little to no pressure - let them do the work. Too much pressure can separate the diamond particles from the substrate holding them.

Honing solutions are not required but a touch of water or oil doesn't hurt. Keeping them clean is more important.

Diamond is much harder than any steel. Some steels may take much longer to sharpen than others but it matters little to the diamond.

I've got an edge pro. Use it for everything. I'm not very good with the sharpmaker... was taking way too long to see results. I haven't tried using it just for touch ups, but maybe I should.

How easy is it to learn stropping? I haven't considered it, thinking it would probably be a black hole that would eat up all my time just to learn to do it right.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

If you can free hand sharpen then you can strop.
You simply drag the knife edge backwards across a piece of abrasive loaded leather at the same angle that you sharpened the knife.
This polishes the bevel and deburrs the edge.

Soo.. I got my kme and man I'm having some fun here ! I'm trying not to do every knife I own but it's hard . The construction and ease of use are amazing I'm feeling like my knives are new again which is a nice feeling and I'm not really itching for a new blade ,which is also a good thing ! Tha again for everyone's input 👍

Soo.. I got my kme and man I'm having some fun here ! I'm trying not to do every knife I own but it's hard . The construction and ease of use are amazing I'm feeling like my knives are new again which is a nice feeling and I'm not really itching for a new blade ,which is also a good thing ! Tha again for everyone's input [emoji106]

Good to hear bud!!

Cool! If you have observations as you continue using it, please post some up. Congrats bud.

I am glad to hear that it is working out for you. I honestly believe that the KME is by far the best bang for the buck system on the market, and second only to the WE, and only by a slight margin.

BTW, if you have not already, look at some videos and do a few searches here for tips on the KME. I went from creating really good edges to great edges after spending time educating myself about how to best use the system.

Way to go sfrigon! Will we get some pics of your work?

This thread has produced some really good information.

I am glad to hear that it is working out for you. I honestly believe that the KME is by far the best bang for the buck system on the market, and second only to the WE, and only by a slight margin.

BTW, if you have not already, look at some videos and do a few searches here for tips on the KME. I went from creating really good edges to great edges after spending time educating myself about how to best use the system.

I took your advice and picked up a KME with a base and strop attachment.
These kits are put together really damn well! I already tuned the edge on my work Delica 4 and it's a slicer again!
Thank you for the heads up!
Now it's time to put a useable edge on the SnG and touch up the GSO 6 and Necker 2.
1ebcd2b91307dec6aa5f2e9bfc266baa.jpg

64d34b09b3d978e51d606f28a9a9cb8f.jpg

I took your advice and picked up a KME with a base and strop attachment.
These kits are put together really damn well! I already tuned the edge on my work Delica 4 and it's a slicer again!
Thank you for the heads up!
Now it's time to put a useable edge on the SnG and touch up the GSO 6 and Necker 2.
1ebcd2b91307dec6aa5f2e9bfc266baa.jpg

64d34b09b3d978e51d606f28a9a9cb8f.jpg
That's awesome ! It took some practice but I'm pretty good at it now . You definitelyneed a little touch ,especially near the tip if you know what I mean . It's pretty easy to screw up on the tip , I should have practiced some beaters first but I don't really have any

That's awesome ! It took some practice but I'm pretty good at it now . You definitelyneed a little touch ,especially near the tip if you know what I mean . It's pretty easy to screw up on the tip , I should have practiced some beaters first but I don't really have any

So far I'm really impressed with this setup and I agree that the tip can be easily screwed up. I'm glad I started off with the Delica!
I ran it at 17, but didn't spend enough time between stones and so I had to start over. Now the finish is pretty clean and it'll slices like crazy.
I took the SnG down to 19 and did a 21 micro bevel. It took some work, but at least it isn't a sharpened prybar with a 24-25 degree edge that was done by a blind man.
b72b47989fb4996992b04bde85309cd6.jpg

I've been looking at four systems for some time: The Wicked Edge, the Edge Pro Apex, the KME, and the Tech Studio K02 Wranglerstar. I have not been able to bring myself to pull the trigger on one yet. Subscribed.

Hard Knocks,
Perhaps having sales and support for TSProf K03 and K02 Wranglerstar kits + accessories will help in making your decision. Visit us on "Dealers for Sale"
George
S.T.A.T.E.S.
"Sharper Than Any Two Edged Sword"
"Honest, reliable products and services"

Back