KME stone progression

So, something like the R2 lite along with a set of Venev Ursa stones while not being optimal would be an adequate starter system, with the ability to upgrade?

I follow 1500 grid CBN stone with 4 micron CBN kangaroo strop and get hair whittling edges regardless of the steel (assuming that I did my part :) )

I do not think you need any finer diamond/CBN stone for any practical use when you combine it with right strops.

So, something like the R2 lite along with a set of Venev Ursa stones while not being optimal would be an adequate starter system, with the ability to upgrade?
Absolutely, and it will be more than just a starter kit. Don't be surprised if it does more than you expect.

Just remember to get an angle cube and a fine tuning attachment too.

Planning on stop collars for the sharpening rod, cube, and cheaping out on the fine tuner and just getting a plain stop collar for a thickness compensator. Do you feel that the fine tuning ability is a necessity?

Also, you can forgo the angle cube and get an angle finder app for your phone to start. Going from 1500 grit to 3 or 4 micron as Murat1983 reports, is what we do using several types of appropriate stones if chasing mirrors. Not my style but the kids think it is cool.
You can forgo the stone thickness compensator... until you add different stones.

Planning on stop collars for the sharpening rod, cube, and cheaping out on the fine tuner and just getting a plain stop collar for a thickness compensator. Do you feel that the fine tuning ability is a necessity?
The fine tuner is definitely worth having, or you'll forever be trying to nudge it into that exact angle by loosening, readjusting and tightening your thumb screw.

If you have a fine tuner and angle cube, you don't need a thickness compensator. Using your angle cube and fine tuner is far a more accurate way to compensate when swapping stones of varying thickness.

You can use a phone app like scottc3 said, but it's much nicer using the metallic platform on the Hapstone with a magnetic angle cube. The platform above the stones is made for that.

I wouldn't skip the fine tuner but if you really don't want to buy one, then 3D print yourself one of mine if you have access to a 3D printer (in my links below on thingiverse).

One of my many Free designs is a fine tuner for the R2. The links below in my signature are not viewable in mobile mode from a phone or tablet. View in desktop mode, or from a computer.

Last edited:
In case you can't find the link I'm referring to:

And the other designs:

Last edited:
In case you can't find the link I'm referring to:

And the other designs:
Appreciate the replies from earlier. So say one was interested in the R2 Classic. Would you need any other accessories?

Appreciate the replies from earlier. So say one was interested in the R2 Classic. Would you need any other accessories?

From what I can see on Gritomatic's website, the R2 Classic comes with the Fine tuning adapter and spring stoppers. It does not come with an angle cube. Getting an angle cube makes life a lot easier than trying to use your smartphone to measure the angles.

You would probably get a bit more versatility with the R2 standard (very nice versatile angled clamps that can be used in combination as a central clamp, and can be used when reversed on the end of the clamp bar for even wider knives than the standard clamps can handle). The R2 standard is a lot cheaper but does not come with stoppers or a fine tuning adapter, so you'd have to get those extra. You could always buy additional clamps one day if you need them, and you can also buy a scissors sharpening adapter if you need to sharpen scissors. The scissors adapter for the R2 is very well priced(less than $30), compared to other brands.

Of course, you would need stones too. It will take any shorter stones if you have some already (Like KME stones for example), but if you want a set of 6 inch stones, then the Venev stones (diamond bonded), are excellent value for money.

There is another thread at the moment where we are discussing the R2 into some more detail, have a read of that too if you like: (Link below)

I have been using the original 4 stones that came with the Gold Diamond kit for over 2 years now. I just replaced the x coarse stone since that is the one doing the heaviest of the work when resetting factory edges but you really get a lot of value out of the diamond stones. Unless you are nuts like me and have several dozen knives in super steels I imagine you would be able to get away with those stones and a strop for well over a decade.

Back