KMG has a new grinder!

What are waste of space is this grinder .........I will not accept it for free !
JRHnpgw.jpg

Drive wheel barely touch belt , small wheel have limited use because of angle on belt . Only flat plate look good ! Do you guys realize that you don t have to use 2 x 72 belt for horizontal grinder ?????

YXTMT9q.jpg
I don't want to have to purchase 2 different size belts when the availability of the 2"X 72" belt fits both grinders...You can continue to build all the grinders that fit your needs this is just an option of what is available in the USA Market these days.

I went ahead and ordered KMG-TX. It is the only grinder in its class (2HP VFD direct drive 6", horizontal/vertical, ratcheting tension, both 10" wheel and flat platen are included) that is available same day, and priced really well. In fact I don't see a cheaper offer so far. Speaking of customer service all my emails were answered in few minutes, even on Sunday (other vendors weren't so great, still don't have an answer from someone). Will see how the TX stands up to the build quality, I don't believe there would any major issue.

I don't want to have to purchase 2 different size belts when the availability of the 2"X 72" belt fits both grinders...You can continue to build all the grinders that fit your needs this is just an option of what is available in the USA Market these days.

You are right , length of belt is personal choice :thumbsup: But that AMK have many limitation as I see it .Even that flat plate part/which at first I think is good/ is wrong positioned .IF rear part of tang/handle is lower then straight line of cutting part of blade you can not shape blade on that knife on this grinder.....
Red line is belt on drawing

hUfrvW0.png

I don't think any grinder out there is 100% perfect for each knifemakers needs and the limitations you might encounter in your style of grinding may not be an issue with another makers style. If there is a need to make improvements if you have the skill and tools to make it better you do that to eliminate limitations.

According to customer support the KMG-TX comes with no tool rest. Not even basic one:
Thank you for your order! You are correct, the KMG does not come standard with a tool rest. We are developing an articulated tool test that will work with the TX in both the vertical and horizontal position, but it’s not in production yet.

KMG was my first grinder and I bought one up when I saw the new ones. Nice setup and smooth running.

According to customer support the KMG-TX comes with no tool rest. Not even basic one:
Thank you for your order! You are correct, the KMG does not come standard with a tool rest. We are developing an articulated tool test that will work with the TX in both the vertical and horizontal position, but it’s not in production yet.

That’s kind of disappointing. The grinder should really come with a tool rest, even if it’s just the low-tech standard one that came with their older one.

The grinder looks awesome IMO and I’m gonna try and buy one once I get the funds. So, are the tool arms the same dimensions as their original KMG grinder? 1.5” IIRC. I have a wuertz machine works surface grinder attachment for the original KMG that I’d like to be able to use with the new one if I bought it.

Marketing wise, lack of tool rest won't turn off potential buyer, not at this price range. The cheapest 3x7 tool rest on ebay is about $25 shipped, and for 20 more you can get a better one from OBM with angle guide (and I bought it). This is all I need, at this moment, with my skills and the way I use grinder. DD rest is 240+ and even though I really like it I just don't need its versatility and rather not paying extra 200. Maybe some other day... And I'm sure the similar tool rest from beaumont would be 300 at least, if not 400. So I'm glad the price for KMG-TX does not reflect that expensive "articulated" tool rest and stays where it is.

I haven't gotten it yet, but it should be here Monday. I don't think I'm the first but certainly early. Ill post when I have it set up.

You said you would receive your KMG-TX on Monday - this was Monday Dec 10th? If so, have you had a chance to unpack it yet? Use it? I'm especially interested in how they handle the tracking wheel mechanism. Looking at the photos I can't figure it out. Once you get grinder unpacked, and you've got a chance, I'd sure appreciate some detailed photos of the tracking adjustment mechanism. Either post here or email to me at sailingtoo at gmail.com would be good.

Thanks, Ken H>

I'm especially interested in how they handle the tracking wheel mechanism. Looking at the photos I can't figure it out. Once you get grinder unpacked, and you've got a chance, I'd sure appreciate some detailed photos of the tracking adjustment mechanism. Either post here or email to me at sailingtoo at gmail.com would be good.

Thanks, Ken H>
Ken , look this .................. I hope it is clear now
fJAkAka.jpg

It looks like the axis pivots at its center, at the center of the tracking wheel, some how, instead of it pivoting at one end. I can’t figure it out either from what is shown.

Thanks for the drawing, but I still don't see it. Beaumont has mentioned somewhere the tracking wheel stays in the horizontal plane, and doesn't "tilt" as did the old KMG. Without tilting, looks like the wheel would have to pivot left-right in the horizontal plane. The adjustment (if that's what it is) is located at the top which would lead me to think it would force the wheel to tilt as did the old KMG.

LIke to see a good video showing the grinder in use, and how the tracking works. I've been thinking about a method to rework my grinder so the tracking wheel could rotate in the horizontal plane. Currently I've got the same system KMG uses on the old grinder.

Ken H>

I like it ! This solves only one /small/ problem which exist on ratchet mechanism .....tension always remain the same when adjust tracking wheel .

Thanks for the drawing, but I still don't see it. Beaumont has mentioned somewhere the tracking wheel stays in the horizontal plane, and doesn't "tilt" as did the old KMG. Without tilting, looks like the wheel would have to pivot left-right in the horizontal plane. The adjustment (if that's what it is) is located at the top which would lead me to think it would force the wheel to tilt as did the old KMG.

LIke to see a good video showing the grinder in use, and how the tracking works. I've been thinking about a method to rework my grinder so the tracking wheel could rotate in the horizontal plane. Currently I've got the same system KMG uses on the old grinder.

Ken H>
My drawing is like from seven years kid :) I will try again......I think that this is what is going IN that secret ...they use double row deep groove ball bearing or two ordinary ball bearings moved on one /out/ side so they can make point of rotating to be in the middle inside of the wheel but they MUST use other strong spring to help to wheel to stay where needed because belt now push wheel in middle .......Make sense only with as I say ratchet mechanism . IF you tight belt first and then try to set tracking on belt you will tighten even more /or loose belt / by moving tracking wheel .That is not problem with spring tension because spring will compensate in both way .When you engage ratchet tension it is fixed tension....and IF you move tracking wheel say UP /on ordinary tracking setup/ you add more tension or vice versa . .. ..On this setup tension will be same although we move tracking wheel ... not bad to have that on grinder .BUT will not improve tracking in any way, good tracking depends on other factors .. ..as we know
Well I think that inside is something like this , if I'm not mistaken;)

KEgp5wJ.png

Last edited:
Thanks for finding that video - but that raises questions also. From the video it "looks" like it tracks the say was as the old system does by tilting the tracking wheel up and down. While the old system doesn't always tilt the wheel in exactly a vertical up 'n down direction, I guess there is something that allows the new system so the wheel is always tilted in exactly a vertical up 'n down direction.

With that said, it sure looks like it would have been simpler if they had put the adjusting screw at the bottom rather than at top. At top it requires a strong spring at bottom so the belt tension press the wheel down. I'm not sure about that. This new system looks overly complex to not really do anything extra?

Comments from all are more than welcome to help explain what I must be missing.

Back