KMG has a new grinder!

My KMG-TX was dropped off by Fed-Ex on Wednesday. Built a new stand out of an old Drill press, as I new the height would be different than my KMG-10. Fed-Ex attempted to destroy the grinder in transit, the box was torn open and it was left on end at the house. After getting everything together I did have an issue with the motor surging. I switched everything over to 220 with no effect. I Checked the set up guide on the old interwebs with no effect. I called Beaumont and explained the issue, with in 30 seconds Rob was on the phone. He had me verify a few things in the VFD and make a couple adjustments. Everything was operating as it should in about 3 minutes.

I have no complaints what so ever and a couple suggestions.
1. Buy one you’ll love it.
2. Belt tension, more is better.
Here are couple pics.

Attachments

• 4F2C7E0D-D28A-4E5B-AA48-F42CD266A29F.jpeg
    4F2C7E0D-D28A-4E5B-AA48-F42CD266A29F.jpeg
    205.4 KB · Views: 180
  • F163A656-31CA-43D1-9DD5-B7A57B5CDBED.jpeg
    F163A656-31CA-43D1-9DD5-B7A57B5CDBED.jpeg
    135.8 KB · Views: 184
  • 0B3A71E9-D01E-4D4F-AB52-25C7AC987ACF.jpeg
    0B3A71E9-D01E-4D4F-AB52-25C7AC987ACF.jpeg
    45.2 KB · Views: 167
How did you get in my head? I was considering doing the same thing with the drill press stand. I have an old drill press that I don’t ever use as well. How high did you cut the pipe off from the floor and what did that put you at on overall height at from the floor to the centerline of your tool rest when it is in the position that it is in on your picture? Also how deep is your table from the front edge back the pipe? I don’t have my grinder ordered yet but was wanting to make the stand for it ahead of time. I thought if I could make this work I could either stand up and grind or lower the table down and sit on my little roller stool. I’m still eating ramen noodles and working all the overtime I can to hopefully get my grinder purchased while they still have the price set at the introductory price with free shipping lol.

To be honest I never took the first measurement. I wanted to be sure on the height so I waited for the grinder to arrive. I placed the grinder on the table and adjusted it to a good standing work height and left and extra 4” were I cut the tube.

That drill press stand sure make a good grinder stand.... BUT - that drill press head laying on the floor sure looks sad! That looks like it was a dandy drill press to butcher up like that. Still a good looking stand.

Ken H>

C CLKW ill take that drill head off your hands if you don’t want it... I just happen to be in VA for the next couple weeks!

I usually am too! It’s a three day drive home for me!! Lol!

That drill press stand sure make a good grinder stand.... BUT - that drill press head laying on the floor sure looks sad! That looks like it was a dandy drill press to butcher up like that. Still a good looking stand.

Ken H>
It’s a 3 phase machine, I attempted to sell a few times. I wouldn’t take less than $75.00. The plan is to switch to single phase and mount on a bench.
C CLKW ill take that drill head off your hands if you don’t want it... I just happen to be in VA for the next couple weeks!
What part of Virginia are you in?

I'm in the Manassas-ish area, about an hour south of DC...

3 ph is better for the drill press!! Pick up one of those cheap Chinese VFD drives for $75 shipped and you're in business

A week of grinding, I enjoy it very much. VFD is perfect, plenty of power, on 220v I dont go past 70 even when shaping new blade. Small wheel attachment needs some practice, have to reduce speed close to zero to adjust tracking otherwise belt slips off easily. Like was mentioned above, keep tension high. Overall, I dont regret buying and would do it again in a heart beat. Waiting for a price tag on their new tool rest, if it is below 300 would buy for sure.

Waiting for a price tag on their new tool rest, if it is below 300 would buy for sure.

Why you not make one yourself ? If you have drill press it is not difficult to make parts ? It took me half an hour to make this two parts from steel , hole is 15mm . In Al would be much easier. . .
qbjB6kE.jpg

Why you not make one yourself ? If you have drill press it is not difficult to make parts ? It took me half an hour to make this two parts from steel , hole is 15mm . In Al would be much easier. . .

Because I'm not machinist. Sure I can make something like this... and maybe it will work after all, close to the spec. But I also enjoy the perfection of the tool, and admit that I would never reach the precision and flawlessness of the tool made with CNC by professional. Somebody pays me for a good knife, and I'll gladly pay somebody for a perfect tool, why not.

Out of stock. I wonder if this means intro pricing is over. Mine's scheduled to arrive Tuesday, glad I got my order in when I did.

I've been using mine a fair amount. I'm really enjoying it along with the DD toolrest. I wish I'd known about their new tool rest but I suppose I can always get one later. So glad I made this upgrade.

Back