KMG-TX

I have read through the posts so far. I would like some current feedback from anyone who has fist or even second hand info on this grinder. I'm close to buying a new grinder and this has the options I want. Is it in the same class as the other tilting grinders? Are you or do you know others that are happy with it? All feedback is appreciated.

I bought a TX this past summer and really like it. Being able to grind horizontal with a solid work rest really helps rough grinding a guard while you can see what you are going instead of grind look grind look grind too much start over. The direct drive is solid and doesn't bog down nearly as much as my other KMG would when grinding pressure is too heavy. The only complaint I have is there are two bolts that hold the motor to the frame that are in the path of the belt when the belt is tracked too far to the left. So I took off the drive wheel and cut them down by half to solve it.

Thank you for the reply. I am also looking at the Northridge for a few hundred more. I am running an old KMG-1 right now that has never given me a problem. Its time for an upgrade (more from want than need) and I'm attempting to make a good choice

I would still prefer the TW90 or Northridge. I'll get to grind on a TX next month at the Guild meeting, maybe that will change my mind.

After much deliberation I just couldn’t justify the extra cost of the TW-90 FOR ME and went with the TX.
I’ve ground quite a bit on a TW-90 and I’m still happy with my choice.
I do think the TW-90 is OVERALL a better grinder, but I don’t see myself growing out of the TX anytime soon.

I recommend it without reservation.

also, their customer service has been FANTASTIC.

I appreciate this thread as I have been debating this TX grinder with the articulating rest vs. The Vashti Rift horizontal/ vertical grinder. Overall this seems to be a good value for the dollar? My concern with the TW90 and RIFT iS the single alot and tool arm attacment location. Any thoughts?

I'll weigh in on the fine customer service at Beaumont. When I finally upgrade from my older KMG, I'll certainly go with the TX. It has the features I want, and I've had nothing but good experiences with the helpful folks there. They've walked me through some technical issues with patience and a lot of knowledge.

- matthew

I appreciate this thread as I have been debating this TX grinder with the articulating rest vs. The Vashti Rift horizontal/ vertical grinder. Overall this seems to be a good value for the dollar? My concern with the TW90 and RIFT iS the single alot and tool arm attacment location. Any thoughts?

If I were doing it again I would pass on their articulating work rest and get a DD workrest instead.

Does the workrest move around if your grinding? What are the issues with the articulating rest that you have encountered? Is it just a gimic? Does the tw90 not use a similar system just it mounts off the side of the tool arm? Thanks for the info.

Cheers

Does the workrest move around if your grinding? What are the issues with the articulating rest that you have encountered? Is it just a gimic? Does the tw90 not use a similar system just it mounts off the side of the tool arm? Thanks for the info.

Cheers

nothing “wrong” with the rest. It’s very versatile, I just would go with the DD work rest due to the larger table and the steeper angles you can grind with the table. He hollow grinds the back of the table so you can really get in there and use it for things like a Scandi grind or hatchet grinds.

the large table is the deal breaker for me. I’ve got materials to put together a large(24”) 90° table so that I have support for larger pieces and using a jig with my Scandi grinds. just haven’t built it yet.

Again, nothing wrong with KMGs work rest. I just think the DD would suit my style of grinding better. Of course I didn’t know until a couple hundred hours of grinding.

the tw-90 workrest clamps solidly to the one arm, it does not wiggle or budge. i have the DD workrest also, it is very versatile as fallbrook mentioned, but it will sag a bit of you lean on it with some pressure or weight during grinding. i use mine mainly for swedges which is a light job so the table flex does not bother anything.

I have the Long DD rest as well. The post on the table is left of center and the bolt will not hold it tight enough. I am very disappointed with it.

i should have been more specific, the table does not flex, its the stuff that connects it to the arm that has slight movement if you put some weight on it. bob duguay try taking it apart and cleaning the parts, maybe there is some oil on them. all the leverage on one side contributes to the flex, but it is very adjustable.

Back