Knife abuse by friends and family members

Friend of mine sends me a pic of a new Fallkniven WM1 with small piece of tip missing and some chipping near the tip...

His mom asked him to borrow a knife, he told her that there's 3 in drawer of his table... and instead of CS spike, she picked up a brand new Fallkniven WM1 and just jabbed it into a can of dog food...

I also remember when my ex broke my Boker...
And when my cousin broke his brother's Mora...
When E EatingSarma borrowed his Voyager to get it returned without it's tip...

Any stories where your knives got abused by your loved ones?

I received a beautiful brand new custom paring knife from a maker here. My wife promptly picked it up and used it to scrape a metal measuring cup to level its flour contents. That became a day long fight.

She simply could not understand my concern. Totally oblivious and resistant to learning why.

I received a beautiful brand new custom paring knife from a maker here. My wife promptly picked it up and used it to scrape a metal measuring cup to level its flour contents. That became a day long fight.

She simply could not understand my concern. Totally oblivious and resistant to learning why.

Tell her you're taking her favorite handbag to the store the next time you need to buy onions. What? It's just a bag?

I feel your pain.

As has been send on these forums , I dont lend out my knives or my wife.

I nice reply would be to ask the user why they want to borrow it !
Another would be to ask why they do not carry a knife anyway!
In my life , I would certainly ask !

Perhaps have a scrap knife available , OR just say NO.

What do other members feel?

I probably should have lent out my wife long ago, but I had this thing about duty, honor and vows. It was kind of a Gracie Allen thing at the start. She had charms that far outweighed her intellectual shortcomings. Unfortunately, age hasn't been kind to her mental acuity and teaching her about knife care discipline has been hopeless. I freely restore and sharpen knives of friends and relatives and I preach to them about how to care for their knives to retain their edges. Principle among these is to keep the edges from contacting anything harder than a carrot. Unfortunately, those lessons are lost on wifey and every evening I have to slyly retrieve my best kitchen knives from the pile of flatware and other utensils waiting for a proper washing. Thankfully, she's learned to return the knives once cleaned to the proper storage slot in the knife drawer or to the cardboard protector sleeve provided for it. It's in between that they suffer the damage. Hopeless is as hopeless does.

I feel your pain.

As has been send on these forums , I dont lend out my knives or my wife.

I nice reply would be to ask the user why they want to borrow it !
Another would be to ask why they do not carry a knife anyway!
In my life , I would certainly ask !

Perhaps have a scrap knife available , OR just say NO.

What do other members feel?
This is probably the most pragmatic answer, and I've seen members who do this. My vote would be for either a folding boxcutter, or a Mora chisel-tip.

Personally, I'm not that organized to carry a "borrowing knife", so I cover it up by asking obnoxious questions about the borrowee's perspective on life that they don't see the need to be prepared for the everyday frustrations of our "civilized" society.

I learned brutal lessons about lending out a knives "just for a second". If someone around me needs something cut and they aren't knife people, then I cut it for them, or just tell them "no" if they ask.

Fixed problem with my wife about 25+ years ago. I bought her knives for her only and she can use them anyway she wants. I do almost all the cooking and meal prep, but she does get in and rattle the pans around on occasion.

As soon as she had her own, there was no reason for her to use mine and the harsh words on knife use/care/cleaning all went away. I keep her knife kinda sharp, which is exactly how she likes it and there is peace in the valley.

Robert

My wife loves to bang the kitchen knives against any object they come near, throws them in the sink, jams them into the dish drainer with other utensils and throws them in a drawer to bang off the other knives.

I know there’s a few here that like to rail against Cutco kitchen knives but I’d have to say after seeing what they go through in our house, they’re pretty damn good lol.

at least she could have used the spine......

My lovely mother came to stay with us and was helping out in the kitchen. I found her cutting something in a Pyrex baking dish with my well-kept Zwillig bread knife, sawing the serrated edge on the hard edge of the dish.

I’m pretty sure I was grinding my teeth together as I said, “Here Mom, let me take care of that…”.

Back