Knife abuse by friends and family members

Even the best knife won’t last forever. It’s essentially disposable. If used daily and kept sharp. No knife will last more than 100 years. I doubt many knives would make 30 years.

I totally get what you are saying. I know it’s not 1 time use disposable, but it won’t last forever. It’s wearing out as you use it.

I really don't like your logic. Using it, I could also determine that all engines eventually wear out, so....... who cares if someone redlines mine, in neutral, then slams it into gear? Why do I care if they drive it home 2 qt low? Heck, let's go further - I am dying every day, right? My body is "disposable" too. Might as well have some 80 proof for breakfast and a handful of benzos for dinner.

Nah, man, I look at it totally different - proper care increases longevity. I understand that being overly cautious takes all the fun out of having anything, I just don't think avoiding abuse is being overly cautious. That said, NO I wouldn't have given a poo about using a blade to level out a measuring cup but nor would I adopt a "it's disposable" approach.

As for loaing, several have already expressed my EXACT position. When someone asks me for a knife, my first thought is "why don't you have one?". That fact, alone, makes me suspicious of them. Nope, don't touch my knives, show me what you want cut or go buy one, I recommend the Kershaw Blur

This was not worth fighting a whole day for.

Someday you may wish you had that day back.
AMEN. The past few years of my life have been full of sickness and loss of friends and family.

My ego and how my "stuff" is treated by my remaining friends and family is pretty tame these days. I don't mind voicing my displeasure or disappointment with friends or family, but these days ego and temper fits with loved ones don't happen.

Lots more years behind me than in front of me, and I am not going to waste my days pissed off over something like a knife.

That being said, if the offender isn't in my immediate circle, I will most assuredly use them for target practice.

Robert

Last edited:
Now THAT is funny 😂
It always fascinates me what people spend money on, and what they take issue with.

I grew up with cheap crap most of the time. My parents were poor in my younger years, so when I had a job and my own money, I made sure (most of the time) that if I spent a lot on something, it would last. The khakis I wore today are 15 years old and in perfect shape.

My ex was of the buy cheap crap but be constantly replacing it. $30 for 3 tank tops sounds cheap. But they would last one, maybe two summers. Me, yes I like some expensive brands, but I take care of it, and it lasts.

People who repeatedly buy cheap won't respect the possessions of those who buy once for life kinda thing.

Don't expect the guy that replaces his S&W knife every time it gets dull to be careful with your $250 ZT.

It's harder with kitchen knives, when you have parties and people are trying to help clean up. You look like a dick hovering over every utensil at Thanksgiving.

You are very welcome.

You are the one who chose to share your childish behavior on a public forum. You thought everyone here was like minded and would agree with you. You were wrong.

My wife read this and said you’re a very sad man. I agree.

I have had a couple knives come back to me missing tips or parts of the edge. I'll still lend out a knife to people I trust to use it as a cutting tool, but I still watch them use it. If the tip becomes a screwdriver, that guy is never using my knife again. I, like several others has noted, love using my knives and seeing them used. There's just something about the scars a knife carries...

You guys realize all knives are disposable right? Eventually they all will wear out get broken chipped etc.

I suppose some knives could be considered disposable... but if your definition of disposable is that it will eventually wear out then everything is disposable. My wife thought the same thing while driving her car two quarts low on oil; there is no need to care for something if it's disposable. You can just keep using it until you can't.

That is entirely dependent on the blade geometry. Pry bars like a Strider, Medford, etc., sure. Thin fixed blade slicers, no.

Punched two openings in a condensed milk can with the small (thin) blade of an SAK many years ago - no damage. The Fallkniven WM1 the OP mentioned has a 3.5 mm blade stock - that's not a thin slicer and should not have taken any damage.

My wife is not too bad with steel knives, we have few mid range productions and a couple Ive made... they dont go in the dishwasher , they dont get left in the sink she doesnt cut on glass or steel, I mean they get knocked around a bit but treated like tools. We both use steel or ceramic rod regulary and I sharpen 'em with stones every few weeks....But, I have one Kyocera ceramic chefs knife .... and she has decided, despite my warnings, explanation and advice....that this is the best knife to use when cutting on a ceramic plate or dish, it is the"cake knife"
that gets banged into and mercilessly dragged across equally hard and uneven crockery,... to Kyoceras credit, it has not broken or chipped...yet, but I cringe everytime.

I have had a couple knives come back to me missing tips or parts of the edge. I'll still lend out a knife to people I trust to use it as a cutting tool, but I still watch them use it. If the tip becomes a screwdriver, that guy is never using my knife again. I, like several others has noted, love using my knives and seeing them used. There's just something about the scars a knife carries...

I suppose some knives could be considered disposable... but if your definition of disposable is that it will eventually wear out then everything is disposable. My wife thought the same thing while driving her car two quarts low on oil; there is no need to care for something if it's disposable. You can just keep using it until you can't.
Your individual idea of "disposable" depends on your income or access to rescources, for some a knife is disposable, for others a car is disposable, to a wealthy man it might be a...well, I dunno Im not wealthy....

Many years ago, while in the USMC, I would loan my pocket knife to a fellow Marine without hesitation.
But after several ruined edges and a destroyed wire cutter on an original Leatherman PST I decided
to change my ways.
Back then I didn't carry anything that was expensive or irreplaceable.
I picked up a cheap a$$ china-made POS pen knife at the flea market and to achieve maximum dullness I "cut" into a brick.
When someone asked for a knife I would toss them the POS.
Everyone stopped asking after a while.

Punched two openings in a condensed milk can with the small (thin) blade of an SAK many years ago - no damage. The Fallkniven WM1 the OP mentioned has a 3.5 mm blade stock - that's not a thin slicer and should not have taken any damage.

I thought it sounded weird when you wrote that the tip of a Fallkniven broke. Those things are stout. That goes to illustrate that even the most rugged of gear can fail under relatively benign use.

Opening cans is a job for P-38s...
...Or a properly equipped SAK or multi-tool...

Unless you feel like unleashing your inner savage. Then you use your knife. Or smash it with a rock. Or just squeeze it until it comes out.

It's interesting to me how different people treat borrowed tools. I'm in the camp that takes special care with a borrowed tool because it's not mine and I want to return it in the condition received (or better). Some people treat tools that they borrow like rental cars and don't care what happens to them because they perceive no long term responsibility. Nothing accelerates harder, turns sharper, stops more quickly, or goes off road quite like a rental. And if you need to do a PIT maneuver on that pesky Prius that just cut you off . . . always do it in a rental.

It's interesting to me how different people treat borrowed tools. I'm in the camp that takes special care with a borrowed tool because it's not mine and I want to return it in the condition received (or better). Some people treat tools that they borrow like rental cars and don't care what happens to them because they perceive no long term responsibility. Nothing accelerates harder, turns sharper, stops more quickly, or goes off road quite like a rental. And if you need to do a PIT maneuver on that pesky Prius that just cut you off . . . always do it in a rental.
Know what's even faster, stops quicker, and goes off road better than a rental? A stolen car...

Know what's even faster, stops quicker, and goes off road better than a rental? A stolen car...

You make a good point! Along those lines, at some point in the continuum of abuse, a rental car effectively becomes a stolen car! They just won't file a criminal complaint if you pay for it afterward.

Opening cans is a job for P-38s...
...Or a properly equipped SAK or multi-tool...

Or this, if you want to open the can cleaner, safer and a lot quicker:

aEaOpWtl.jpg

I don't let anyone touch my knives. Not only because they may not use it properly but I had a brand new custom auto that kicked hard. I let a relative try and they fired it with a wimpy grip and it flew out of their hands onto the asphalt.

I thought it sounded weird when you wrote that the tip of a Fallkniven broke.

Just to clarify: The OP was the one writing about the failed Fallkniven, I just thought that should not have happened. But hey, maybe the knife was faulty for some other reason.

Back