Knife and Watch combo. Let's see them!

dxVyxtV.jpg

Maybe some comment on why...
35851813272_15337d0f3b_z.jpg

The knife is a Terävä Jääkkäripuukko 140, a most practical and sturdy blade, very no-nonsense. The watch is the one I have been wearing for over a decade. It's a Broadarrow PRS-4, a watch of which only a very limited number were made as the British designer got into a legal mess with Omega over the term 'Broadarrow' - because one of their models was informally known by the customers as the 'broad arrow' model. The arrow logo on the dial indicated it was made as military material for the British crown, and in the distant past Omega had made divewatches for the British Navy, as many knifemakers did (Rolex among them as well). Big Omega versus small shed operation in Sheffield resulted in the UK maker just giving up although he had deposited the brand and Omega had not. After the first batch of this model, no more were produced. Of the black PVD version with a black dial under this brand, only 75 exist. 75 others have an orange dial in the black case and there are 150 in stainless steel with a black dial. No official limited series, I got mine at the regular, modest price just before the legal battle with Omega, and a year later found myself in the possession of a very rare watch. It is now worth two to three times as much as I paid for it for the few watch collectors who know this :)

It's just a military style quartz divewatch, of improved design relative to the original (CWC) with a Ronda Swiss made lithium-powered jeweled movement and a sapphire crystal. Extremely legible, very accurate, and I need the timing bezel to mark my take-off time and manage my fuel when I fly my balloon. It replaced a Sinn 256 automatic pilot's chrono that was about eight times the price, came with a lot of blabla about TUV testing for shock resistance et cetera, worn by German military helicopter pilots - you get the idea, a lot of marketing BS. The thing had the exact same movement of many Breitbling chronos. And it broke after six months when I was pulling my balloon gear out of my van and banged my arm plus watch against the doorframe. Volkswagen van doorframe versus expensive auto pilot watch, watch lost. Ballooning is tough on gear. the Sinn, with a mangled mainspring and a broken crown, still sits in a box and this affordable beater has just been going for almost 14 years now. I wear it on NATO straps that are washable under the sink or by just putting them in an old sock and cycling them in the machine with other stuff.

I use the 110 version of the puukko as my rescue knife during balloon flights - the knife and the watch are part of my mandatory 'minimum equipment' when I fly.

Maybe some comment on why...

The knife is a Terävä Jääkkäripuukko 140, a most practical and sturdy blade, very no-nonsense. The watch is the one I have been wearing for over a decade. It's a Broadarrow PRS-4, a watch of which only a very limited number were made as the British designer got into a legal mess with Omega over the term 'Broadarrow' - because one of their models was informally known by the customers as the 'broad arrow' model. The arrow logo on the dial indicated it was made as military material for the British crown, and in the distant past Omega had made divewatches for the British Navy, as many knifemakers did (Rolex among them as well). Big Omega versus small shed operation in Sheffield resulted in the UK maker just giving up although he had deposited the brand and Omega had not. After the first batch of this model, no more were produced. Of the black PVD version with a black dial under this brand, only 75 exist. 75 others have an orange dial in the black case and there are 150 in stainless steel with a black dial. No official limited series, I got mine at the regular, modest price just before the legal battle with Omega, and a year later found myself in the possession of a very rare watch. It is now worth two to three times as much as I paid for it for the few watch collectors who know this

It's just a military style quartz divewatch, of improved design relative to the original (CWC) with a Ronda Swiss made lithium-powered jeweled movement and a sapphire crystal. Extremely legible, very accurate, and I need the timing bezel to mark my take-off time and manage my fuel when I fly my balloon. It replaced a Sinn 256 automatic pilot's chrono that was about eight times the price, came with a lot of blabla about TUV testing for shock resistance et cetera, worn by German military helicopter pilots - you get the idea, a lot of marketing BS. The thing had the exact same movement of many Breitbling chronos. And it broke after six months when I was pulling my balloon gear out of my van and banged my arm plus watch against the doorframe. Volkswagen van doorframe versus expensive auto pilot watch, watch lost. Ballooning is tough on gear. the Sinn, with a mangled mainspring and a broken crown, still sits in a box and this affordable beater has just been going for almost 14 years now. I wear it on NATO straps that are washable under the sink or by just putting them in an old sock and cycling them in the machine with other stuff.

I use the 110 version of the puukko as my rescue knife during balloon flights - the knife and the watch are part of my mandatory 'minimum equipment' when I fly.

Awesome! Thank you for the interesting information and story behind your choices.

Yours is a regular theme in my life, too. I LOVE my high-end watches, just like I love my high-end knives, and I wear them both as often as I can. But when I'm truly concerned about reliability, durability, or expendability, I gravitate to my quartz watches and economical knives.

But even in those decisions, as your post demonstrates so well, the common doesn't have to be commonplace. Here is a pairing that I frequently choose for work when ruggedness and functionality are required: a Filson-branded Shinola and a Cold Steel AD-10.

IMG-6851.jpg

Another work pair that I rely upon routinely: an original Victorinox Swiss Army model and an SOG Spec Arc.

IMG-6853.jpg

-Steve

Great job looks beautiful!!

Thanks brother! I really wish this finish was utilized more often in watches. I had the idea kickin' around in my head for some time, and then I finally came across this watch which was the perfect candidate to experiment with.

Diggin’ the Tom Kuhn yo-yo.

Hell yeah man! The yo-yo is a highly underutilized but essential EDC item IMO :D

Thanks brother! I really wish this finish was utilized more often in watches. I had the idea kickin' around in my head for some time, and then I finally came across this watch which was the perfect candidate to experiment with.

Hell yeah man! The yo-yo is a highly underutilized but essential EDC item IMO :D
That was a successful experiment I love it !!

Back