Knife block questions

Morning peoples.

I am getting ready to start building a knife block for my knives. I know it is going to be limiting, but I don't see myself buying many more knives, at least for a while. My questions relate mostly to block design. I do own both stainless and carbon knives.

Slot orientation, vertical or horizontal?

If vertical, should the edge be up or down?

If horizontal, should I put small ridges on the bottom to minimize contact, probably mostly for the carbon knives?

Also, should I line the slots with anything?

I am planning on making the slots open on the bottom to at least attempt to allow airflow and such.

I've used basic blocks (Wusthof branded, or the like) with horizontal slots (that go all the way through) for 30 years or so now with no problems...my knives are clean and dry when I put them away, of course - why are you worried about "ridges" or lining?

I've used basic blocks (Wusthof branded, or the like) with horizontal slots (that go all the way through) for 30 years or so now with no problems...my knives are clean and dry when I put them away, of course - why are you worried about "ridges" or lining?

Not really worried about it aside from the possibility of the moisture in the wood promoting rust on my carbon blades.

Regarding slot orientation, here's a block I've been using for about 10-years, what I like about it is the slots for the bigger knives are oriented horizontally which I like for larger knives, but the row of slots for the paring knives are vertical and set at an angle that only allows the heal of the edge at the bolster and the top of the tip to touch the wood block, the row for the paring knives is compact and lower so they are below the main body of the block and out of the way. I have no idea who made this block, it's French and maple is all I can tell you.

w9r6S7w.jpg

IgDlHwK.jpg

Something else; mine rotates, like the base is a small lazy Susan. I find that to be a useful feature. Mine’s purchased, not homemade.

I have seen the knife blocks that are just an angled "box" and filled with bamboo skewers and I think they look pretty neat. The advantage is that they can fit any knife; you aren't limited to the slots that are of a particular size.

I have seen the knife blocks that are just an angled "box" and filled with bamboo skewers and I think they look pretty neat. The advantage is that they can fit any knife; you aren't limited to the slots that are of a particular size.

Everything you add takes up space and they eventually get jammed so nothing can be added. For a few odd shaped blades it is fine but as it fills they get harder to load.

Back