Knife confessions

That’s just heresy

I'll probably be getting a Delica when the K390 ones are available. I've fixed up 3 or 4 Delicas for people in the past. Cleaning the action, sharpening, etc. I think all of them had a bit of the tip missing. Never had the desire for a Buck 110 or 112.

I have to confess. I do not like liner locks or frame locks. I do not trust them. Experience and strength testing both have shown me how weak they are. Plus they depend on a too easily overcome detent to make me feel comfortable carrying one of these in my pocket.

Also, I do not like that blade to handle ratio on folders so many makers strive for. to me it is not practical. You never see this on a fixed blade. Why on a folder? I am much more interested in how it fits my hand.

I have to add a "Me too" to forward finger choils. Don't like or need 'em. They waste space. I understand their use on smaller knives, to accommodate larger hands and presumably "finer" more detailed usage, but on full size knives, no. Probably why my PM2 and American Lawman rarely leave the drawer.

Most days I only use my knife to cut off the tab on my coffee lid @ the store. Knife goes back in pocket all day unused.

Still nice to know you still have it with you. :D

I have to add a "Me too" to forward finger choils. Don't like or need 'em. They waste space. I understand their use on smaller knives, to accommodate larger hands and presumably "finer" more detailed usage, but on full size knives, no. Probably why my PM2 and American Lawman rarely leave the drawer.

I tend to agree with the finger choil. What about a small sharpening choil? Like a small semi circle so you can get the blade sharpened all the way. Some of my small knives I cannot get the edge sharp near the shoulder or guard so that's helps. Just curious.

Still nice to know you still have it with you. :D

I tend to agree with the finger choil. What about a small sharpening choil? Like a small semi circle so you can get the blade sharpened all the way. Some of my small knives I cannot get the edge sharp near the shoulder or guard so that's helps. Just curious.
Yes - ALL knives should have a sharpening choil, no excuse!:p

One more,I dislike short or too small of a handle on short and medium fixed blades. The short handle makes me feel like I am barely holding the handle or tying to find a comfortable grip. Need at least a four finger grip or four inch or slightly longer handle.

I'll put one out there that may be unpopular: that classic Spyderco leaf-shaped blade and Spydie hole...I find them somewhat ugly. Also, the tallness of that blade shape takes up a lot of space in the pocket, and the lack of belly on that blade makes it less appealing for tasks like cutting food that's sitting in a tupperware-style lunch container. I EDC'd a Delica for something like 5 years in the early 2000's, but these issues eventually kicked it out of my pocket, and I haven't bought any more Spydercos since then.

Although I know it's supposed to be pronounced Boo-ie, I always seem to say or think Bow-ie:oops:

Never apologize for using the correct language pronunciation key. If the family really cared they would have changed the spelling long ago. I am sure there are a lot of pronunciation keys that we can used for the letters B-o-w-i-e and all of them will sound very different.

n2s

Not a fan of carbon fibre, love my Mah field duty, though.

Handle over blade, if it’s not comfortable to hold, meh.

Adore my large Inkosi Insingo more than...

If ZT would stop putting holes in the tang of the 223, id probably buy one. I really dig clip point blades, and it looks like a fun knife, but those holes...kind of like the holes in the scales of the 308 and 707. what is the purpose? Just give dirt easier access to the bearings to make the action turn to crap.

I like "overbuilt" knives. My ZT's aren't really arent THAT overbuilt, and I enjoy them. My Cold Steel AD10 and 4max Scout...utterly ridiculous, but so much fun! and the hollow grind of the ad10 cuts well as a bonus.

I have about 60 knives, but really only carry a handful. I really should unload some (I did unload my 2nd 0470, then got a Becker BK2...) but I do carry them all, just some a lot more than others. Plus, the ones I would sell are cheaper knives and it really wouldn't be worth it unless they were in a bundle.

Kershaw should make a more premium version of the Natrix XL. Keep it G10 (or layered CF/G10), give it 14c28n blade steel, and make it in the U.S. I would kill for that, but I guess I'll make do with the Bareknuckle cf/m390 sprint as the closest thing I'll ever have to a ZT 0777.

Being known as the one with a knife with me, and then being asked for it....and not having it!!! Very rare but it has happened. Left in the other pants or in the other car. Maybe that means I should put a knife in each car.

I buy expensive high end production knives to use and abuse because I can't morally bear to abuse something someone made with their own hands and time, as in custom knives.

Coincidentally, the money never goes to the small maker or artisan.

However I also confess I NEVER buy new, always second hand, except if it's a gift. In which case I also buy customs.

There are more bad than good knife designs.

Most knives don't cut very well.

The majority of factory knives bore me.

The custom knife market now mostly consists of random guys selling garbage for insane prices.

Social media has given scumbag knife makers a new avenue for victims that never seems to dry up.

R1zliuP

I broke my Garberg doing dumb things

Last edited:
Back