Knife Ethics Question

tueller

Basic Member
I am trying to decide betweeen 2 knives that are not common enough to find in a store around me. The deciding factor for me will be which one fits better and feels better in the hand... but I have know way of fondling them and have only saw them in pictures.

Sooooo, if the return policy allows it, is it wrong to order both and return whichever doesn't feel as good as the other in the hand?

I don't think it would be wrong. You have it narrowed down. Maybe it would be different if you had 5 different ones you wanted to try. I wouldn't do it as I hate having to return something and wait for another one.

Nothing wrong in that, IMO as this service is part of the price you pay

If the return policy allows it then there is no ethical conundrum. Just return it if you don't like it.

I don't see anything wrong with it. But I'm not sure I'd do it, either.
If you are conflicted, why not ask the vendor?

I don't see much wrong with it. I'm sure vendors understand that an item might not be exactly as someone thought it would be. Just as long as they can resell it and it's not a continually reoccurring thing you should be fine.

Just be aware that some vendors(like knifecenter) could add a fee to people who return items frequently.

"We don't offer products on an "on approval" basis and if a customer continually returns products we have no choice but to charge a 5% restocking fee to offset our processing costs. The determination of which customer is a frequent returner will be made by the Knifecenter staff." From the Knifecenter return policy page.

If the store policy allows it, then no harm. One thing I'd like to add is your moral burden to return a "like new" knife. In my opinion that means no use, no cutting, no carry. Un-box and check fit in hand and decide. Don't carry both knives around to the limit of the return policy and then decide. Use the knife no more than if you were in a store showroom.

The knife you return will be sold to someone else as "new". You owe it to your knife brothers and sisters to defend their right to experience the same "new" knife as you did.

Good luck and have fun!

If your buying from the same store, be honest with them and say that you will return one of the knives and keep the other. See what the say.

As a knife dealer I have no problem with this at all. It is very hard deciding with out seeing them in person. I do appreciate a heads up when customers do this and I would say most of our customers do tell us upfront. I think it is cool that you are asking!

I have done it before i don't think it's wrong. The hard thing is when you get both and can't decide between the two and decide to keep both.

No problem that i see. First read the policy and if it allows feel free. But i would at least order both at same time to decrease the shipping cost to u but if its free then decrease cost to dealer.

I have done it before i don't think it's wrong. The hard thing is when you get both and can't decide between the two and decide to keep both.
That might be the real question. If they both fit and you really like both could you still part with one.

I am trying to decide betweeen 2 knives that are not common enough to find in a store around me. The deciding factor for me will be which one fits better and feels better in the hand... but I have know way of fondling them and have only saw them in pictures.

Sooooo, if the return policy allows it, is it wrong to order both and return whichever doesn't feel as good as the other in the hand?

Just out of curiosity if u dont mind what 2 were u eyeballing?

Yup, do tell.

Generally speaking nothing wrong with it but there is always another option...

iu

I am with USAMadeblade on this as well. I get it when you are chunking down your hard earned cash for a blade and can't feel it. Knives are personal. I don't think there is any issue with it.

We have had a few guys that are habitual return shoppers that never actually keep anything. That is when it becomes an issue.

I would just buy one, then when funds allow buy the other. I wouldn't buy something I knew I was going to return.

Lots of great comments. I don't need to own both, they are too similar. It's the bark river bush bat jx4 vs tops cut 4.0. I want to try the karambit style handle and the utility blade design concept. With that handle shape, I am speculating that handle fit to my hand will be the most important characteristic to avoid hot spots. The comments from the members in knife sales were very helpful. Thx.

Back