Knife for bears

Photo036.jpg Shikari 2267.jpg

This is a Schrade 165OT. I suggest that a pointed tip (trailing point) is better suited for piercing tough hair, hide and fat than a more rounded tip.

BJ7GMS.jpg

Blackjack Model 1-7. A2 steel @ 59 HRc, canvas micarta handle.

I believe Codger mentioned a road flare as defense. I would think that may be an option but you'd have to practice igniting quickly under stress. I suggest to re-look at the bear spray. If I was in bear country, I'd carry my Randall Model 16.-heavy spear point 7 inch blade.( But here in the US I go armed.)

I'm gonna have to go with the good old "one long enough to slit your own throat" and hope you bleed out before he starts to eat you or you could learn how to use your bear spray a lot better, try pointing it at the bear not yourself. Good luck....

I believe Codger mentioned a road flare as defense. I would think that may be an option but you'd have to practice igniting quickly under stress. I suggest to re-look at the bear spray. If I was in bear country, I'd carry my Randall Model 16.-heavy spear point 7 inch blade.( But here in the US I go armed.)

It would be wise to become familiar with whatever means of self defense one decides to carry. Pepper spray doesn't work so well when used like DEET. A highway flare going off in your pocket would be memorable. Either or both would be good alternatives to knives or guns. Not yet mentioned is a boat air horn. Bear bangers (where legal) would also be a good alternative. But still, you have to know how and when to use them.

I haven't read through all of the replies, but I agree with those who suggest going for the throat. No bones, no protection, hard to miss, etc.

Were I ever in a situation where I was attacked by a 1,000 pound bear I would want a broad, leaf shaped dagger; something similar to a Smatchet actually. I would probably attempt to feed it my non-dominant hand and go for the throat/arteries with my other hand. However, were I ever in that situation I would not expect to live through it... (though I wouldn't complain if I did).

Personally though, a knife fight with anything, or anyone, is very far down on the list of things I'd like to experience.

Its almost hard to answer with any degree of seriousness...

:D

If guns are too icky, then any knife will be Waaay too icky.

If OP intends to be killed spectacularly, then he should at least buy that expensive machete/sword/knife thing that the Indian [played by Sonny Landham] used in the original Predator film for his knife fight.

MODS: Please lock this thread if Smatchets aren't mentioned.

It would be wise to become familiar with whatever means of self defense one decides to carry. Pepper spray doesn't work so well when used like DEET. A highway flare going off in your pocket would be memorable. Either or both would be good alternatives to knives or guns. Not yet mentioned is a boat air horn. Bear bangers (where legal) would also be a good alternative. But still, you have to know how and when to use them.

Hey, lets try to be realistic here.

It's well known that grizlies are easily dealt with, if you use Kung Fu to wield a lit road flare in each hand. Be sure to wear a black bandit mask and tights when you try this. It's important.

I would strongly suggest something with a lanyard, stainless so it wont rust away lying in the woods, and with your name engraved, so the remains can be identified.
I'm an Aussie so no nuthin' about bears really, except meetin' an angry one in the woods would be bowel emptyingly scary. I would suggest good rifle, maybe handgun, then bear mace, and maybe a friend to spot and point the rifle. If all you have is a blade, then surely a spear would be marginally better.

Let me say thank you for all replies and many interesting informations.
As it´s anyhow nearly impossible to survive the attack of a huge grizzly, every knife you might use has it´s advantages and disadvantages. With a 7 inch blade you are very fast and you can stab more exactly, but it´s too short to reach the vital organs; a 12 inch blade could do that, but if it comes to a close range fight, it´s too long. Short sword sized blades are good enough for only one slash or stab - that´s it, but maybe you have luck. Slim blades don´t make enough damage, wide blades don´t penetrate good, same with Busse like tips. I think about a smatchet or dagger like blade, not too wide, with a blade around 11 inches.

Take a look at the old German hunting swords. Built well, I think you might like it. You can slash at extended limbs and perhaps do some damage. Ignore the torso, go for arms and legs, or head and neck. And train with it, so it isn't one more useless piece of equipment. The Cold Steel Golok might come close.

A hunter in Alaska was mauled by a bear several years ago. He kept his wits and kept stabbing the bear in the neck with a Buck 110. The bear finally got tired of it, dropped him, and retreated, or left at its leisure. He almost died. The bear was found dead the following day by state cops.

Your mind is your best weapon, defensive or offensive. Run out the scenarios and think about it. Become emotionally prepared. Psychological preparedness gives you the best chance of survival.

Gene

DP115478.jpg

Here is a 16th century hunting scene currently owned by the Metropolitan Art Museum. I suspect that any bear hunting with a sword would first require the bear to be pin down and held by a pack of trained hounds.

n2s

The only edged weapon id trust against a bear would be a bayonet hooked to a currently firing largebore gun.

If i absolutley had to defend myself with an edged weapon id pick the biggest damn sword i could reliably carry and use and pray to whatever deity you believe in. I would also look for more chopping and less stabbing, the only reliable way to drop bear is to break them down, i.e stop their ability to move forward. Stabbing them, even if you do somehow manage to hit them in the right spot, wont stop them right away. At least with a chopping weapon you might get the chance to cleave a claw/toe/ear and even cut thru the muscle enough to stop the attack.

Plus are you absolutely certain that you want a knife? If you hurt yourself with a non lethal bear spray are you sure you want a heavy sharp piece of steel in your hand?

Back