Knife for bears

This guys in for a world of hurt, and thats a 150 pound black bear...
bear21411_468x359.jpg

This is a nice one to find when HUNTING bear, but not to fight with a knife, really?
IMG-20110608-00043.jpg

I hope it will NEVER come down to that kind of confrontation... but that could help... cold steel gurkha kukri , 12 awesome inches... that blade is as good tactically than for wood work :)

6603973253_1044d97cf3_z.jpg

6597243853_6b79faabf8_z.jpg

i think i would also consider a knife you can attach to a stick to make a spike... distance is your friend with animals ! some are designed with that in mind and have holes in the handle, or under the handle .

The question itself is ludicrous, You maimed yourself with bear spray and think a knife is going to protect you?

Biggest+Grizzly+Bears+4.jpg

From this???? I count 5 knives to your 1, beside the fact that what they are attached to can easily and literally take your skull completely off your neck with a casual swipe. Your knife needs to be 2 inches, that's long enough to reach your heart which is much more realistic and important. We may as well debate about which bb gun to take elephant hunting.

Haha, I honestly can't believe this thread is still going.

That is all. :D

i think if u try to stab a bear to death u will die.. can i have your house?? car and money:)
i take folks hawg huntn and give them this oops how do i post a pic??
harley

Last edited by a moderator:
Amazing thread!One of the best.
OP I understand the mental factor, but it is not realistic.
The knife is a tool remember? And it is certainly not the tool for bear attacks.
You should rely on accepting the set of rules that bears have established in their territory. That is be careful with your food, try not to sneak-up on them, maintain a campfire etc.

Best one yet! The bear spray maiming get's me every time! Thanks Sky, and this photo really brings the point(s) home!

The question itself is ludicrous, You maimed yourself with bear spray and think a knife is going to protect you?

Biggest+Grizzly+Bears+4.jpg

From this???? I count 5 knives to your 1, beside the fact that what they are attached to can easily and literally take your skull completely off your neck with a casual swipe. Your knife needs to be 2 inches, that's long enough to reach your heart which is much more realistic and important. We may as well debate about which bb gun to take elephant hunting.

My Al Mar Alaskan Bowie.....i was told it was designed as a companion piece for guys that hunt bear with blackpowder pistols??...Dunno how true it is but its a seriously sharp knife....FES

alaskan001.jpg

Ben Lilly was said to be the last of the American Mountain men, guided Teddy Roosvelt on Hunts, and said to have killed hundreds of Grizzly's & Mountain lions. many with a Bowie knife.

Come on google works great, just type in Ben Lilly and hit enter.

I've killed 3 with my SAK pioneer, if you have any skills it is really not that hard. Chris

Clearly the ONLY knife for this job is a Kabar.

How KA-BAR Got Its Name

Our name dates back to the early 1900's from a fur trapper testimonial. He wrote that while trapping, his gun jammed leaving him with only his knife to kill a wounded bear that was attacking him. He thanked us for making the quality knife that helped him to kill a bear, but all that was legible was "K a bar". Honored by the testimonial, the company adopted the phrase KA-BAR as their trademark.

:)

This is what I take with me when walking in the woods where there might be bears...sure it's a little heavy but it's a great workout
pix709840374.jpg

Back