Knife for Hog Hunting and Dispatching…What Would You Choose?

BTW, do you live in a state that allows daggers? It would kinda suck if you could only use the knife for the hunt and not be able to carry it hiking, hunting, or whatever.

That's the beauty of the toothpick I just posted: it only cost me $25 (on E-Bay). If I had to get rid of it; there's very little invested in it.

This Brazilian Bowie that arrived today could do the job with its 8 1/2" blade

oPKjQIX.jpg

I didn’t hunt hogs with my Ka-Bars, and I won’t with my Wild Pig Hunter. Strictly if needed, for serious social difficulties.

I hunted hogs with dogs and a knife quite a bit in TX. I used a Chris Reeve Project 1 which was just perfect for that purpose. Any sharp, stout blade will work but I advise a lanyard as it can get pretty wild in the brush when you are hanging on to a back leg with one hand and sticking with the other. It is a wild way to hunt but they sure do taste good.

You should not be guessing, you need to ask your guide for the specifics. No one can give you advice because they all have different rules based on the packs they run. Some outfits will tell you your knife is too long and some the opposite based on their specific experience. Makes zero sense to ask us, we can help you once you get the info from the outfit you are hunting with.

Generally, when the blade material is listed only as "stainless steel" you should avoid it. Again, ask your guide and don't buy a mass produced piece of garbage, you can get the digs hurt or hurt yourself

Uh...do you have a reference/source to cite for this notion ? o_O

A guy I sometimes go pig hunting with told it to me. He's been hunting hogs with dogs and a knife for probably 40 years. I can't speak to his source but his info is generally good. He may well know it from personal experience. He said when a pocket of air gets into the heart it can get pumped into the artery which causes just about instant death, compared to the minute or so it takes to die by bleeding out. That's good because hogs struggle a lot when they've been stabbed and can injure you or a dog with that last surge of adrenaline. I know I usually hold on tight to their back legs until they stop moving just in case.

The info was from this guy here:
PigDog.jpg

A guy I sometimes go pig hunting with told it to me. He's been hunting hogs with dogs and a knife for probably 40 years. I can't speak to his source but his info is generally good. He may well know it from personal experience. He said when a pocket of air gets into the heart it can get pumped into the artery which causes just about instant death, compared to the minute or so it takes to die by bleeding out. That's good because hogs struggle a lot when they've been stabbed and can injure you or a dog with that last surge of adrenaline. I know I usually hold on tight to their back legs until they stop moving just in case.

PigDog.jpg
Thanks ! :)

I'm not a hog hunter , so zero personal experience .

The fuller very well might help accelerate bleeding out , shock / hypovolemia , and thus hasten the end of struggling ; but I question it happens because of air flowing into the heart under atmospheric pressure .

If it is due to air embolism , I'd really like to understand how that happens from a knife fuller .

Not that it matters for hog hunting , if it works ! ;) A quicker kill is best for everyone involved .

A traditional German Saufänger (pig sticker) I picked up some time ago (though I don't hunt myself, the deal was too good to pass up on a large blade). Wide 10" blade with all surfaces hollow ground (even the unsharpened swedge) to make a large wound channel and allow the ingress of air, for the purpose stated by Currawong Currawong above.

PigDog.jpg

At about 7:27 he kills the pig with a non fuller knife.

And he conveniently names the maker. So with a bit of Google fu.

Simon walker knives.

Here is a pig sticker from the same guy.

Last edited:

At about 7:27 he kills the pig with a non fuller knife.

And he conveniently names the maker. So with a bit of Google fu.

Simon walker knives.

Here is a pig sticker from the same guy.

Those looked like fairly small pigs though. For an adult 200+ pound European boar you need a much more substantial knife than what he used to kill quickly and efficiently.

A fuller can help introduce air into the heart. This will kill it much quicker.
A decent stab wound to any heart causes death by blood loss.
I don't see how that process can be sped up.
Do we have any Paramedics or Doctors in here; who would like to offer an opinion?

Have no clue why you would want to get that close to Hog/Bore. They can gut you in a hart beat. That being said I am a bow hunter. Lived is SC for 23 years. Any time big game was open you could hunt them. And they are nasty. They tare up the land. In SC, NC and GA they want them dead. They are moving north. Adapt to new environments very fast.

Rich K.
I think they arrived in Canada, where they are attracted to provincial and federal capitals.

My uncle was a farmer with pigs and crops. I will never forget a sow taking a part of his calf muscle with a well timed bite.

• Wow
Reactions: TC
Back