Knife for jungle - $20 or less

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm heading to the pacific coast of Colombia. I obviously need a knife. I will check a bag on the way down, not planning to on the way back though. If I don't check one on the way back, the knife stays with our host in the jungle.

Need something that holds an edge well, rust resistant (one of the rainiest places on earth), tough steel, and is budget friendly in case I leave it behind.

Folder prefered due to ease of carrying while hiking, but not a deal breaker! Folding is the last item on the checklist and its way down there!

Stainless steel mora comes to mind as a great option, not a huge fixed blade but a good compromise between fixed and folder.

For a folder, a Syderco Byrd Cara Cara or Meadowlark would be a great option. There are also many Kershaw folders in that price range with stainless steel blades.

Kershaw Grinder, OSO Sweet, Cryo, Freefall, Chill, Injection, Swerve, Rove etc....

Mora and an Opinel seem like a good combo, keep the Mora on a belt, drop the Opinel in your pocket. That way you have a large blade for the bigger tasks and the Opinel if you just need a small blade for a quick simple task. (Or keep the Mora in a backpack as long you don't see a need for it.)

Mora and something like a Kershaw or Opinel folder. Always carry a backup in that environment IMO.

Maybe an stainless Opinel with plastic handle, not wood and carbon blade probably not the best for "jungle".

I own one knife and love it - first generation Gayle Bradley/Spyderco C134 CPM-M4 folder.

What would be closest to this size in a fixed or folder?

Edge retention and durability are most important

I agree with the above posts for sure....

I have a stainless Opinel #9 with a yellow plastic handle (includes two sunk in screwdriver bits) that was under $20. Great and light folder for the jungle.

A Mora Companion (NOT carbon) is an amazing knife. Light, cheap and durable as hell..... and also under $20.

I would personally bring one of each. Likely $30-35 total.

I also have the two Byrds mentioned (excellent knives) as well as a few Chinese Kershaws I bought on sale at Dicks. 3-3.5” flippers with good stainless (nothing fancy) for $20-30 each on sale.

In any case, LOTS of great options in the $20 range that you didn’t have to feel hesitant about carrying in such a harsh environment.

Have fun!

I own one knife and love it - first generation Gayle Bradley/Spyderco C134 CPM-M4 folder.

Great knife. I have a GB2 and love it. Likely my favourite knive.

To each their own, but M4 would be one of the last blade steels I would bring into a jungle.

The Cara Cara maybe?

DEE25F98-ED1A-46F5-A06D-A29908CD4B9E.jpeg

Ontario RAT 1 or RAT 2 folder? Cheap enough, even the D2 versions. Stainless Moras are sometimes obtainable for ridiculously low prices. The locals would love you if you left either behind as a gift. Buy a smallish $5 machete when you get there and have some local do a sharpen and buff job on it.

I came close to going to Colombia in the Peace Corps back in 1977. I opted for Thailand. They both have some beautiful women, big knives and drugs. I figure if I'd gone to Colombia, I'd either be a rich drug lord or dead by now. In Thailand I got a wife - did I screw up?

Just got back from Thailand! Cambodia changed my life a few years ago.

Headed to nuqui Colombia
Narrow this down to three choices for me. Argue amongst yourselves, I'll wait. Haha

I think it's going to be hard to beat the Byrd Cara Cara 2 and/or the Ontario Rat 1. As others have mentioned, it you want a fixed blade and/or backup, go with Mora.

In that hot, humid and salty (sweat) climate, it is entirely possible that edge retention would suffer due to the apex degrading due to corrosion caused by humidity and sweat.

I would second the Plastic handled, stainless Opinel suggestion.

If there was only some sort of inexpensive knife that is used widely by the locals in the Central American jungle....

Something like that would be great. :D

Yep.
If I were heading to the jungle, a machete would be my first choice.
Cheap, readily available, and the locals manage to use them for literally everything knife-related.

Yep.
If I were heading to the jungle, a machete would be my first choice.
Cheap, readily available, and the locals manage to use them for literally everything knife-related.

I think it is the screamingly obvious answer.

A Mora?!? :eek: From the jungles of Scandinavia.

I think it is the screamingly obvious answer.

A Mora?!? :eek: From the jungles of Scandinavia.

Indeed. :D

If the OP gets a Mora or a stainless steel folder, that's cool...but he'll still end up getting a machete (or desperately desiring one) as soon as he steps foot into the jungle.
The only way a machete would not be pretty much essential is if he's hiking as part of a guided group, where the guides have machetes. In that case, pretty much whatever stainless steel knife he can find for $20 will do the trick. :thumbsup:

I love Moras, too, but I'd rather have a Tramontina machete in the jungle...

I paid $26 shipped for the new Buck 110LT. These just became available, so perfect timing.
If you are looking for tough folding knife, this would seem to be ideal and would be similar size to the Spyderco Bradley.
Tough, rust resistant, lighter and cheaper than a regular 110 but with same great blade. Should come with a lightweight nylon sheath, too, if you want to carry it on a belt.

Plus, its a new lightweight handle model, so you can give us a fantastic review upon return. Also a great cheap gift to leave behind... you can always pick up another one when you get back. Your host will love you for it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back