Knife for jungle - $20 or less

Status
Not open for further replies.
Machete will be everywhere and guides always have them. Not worried about that. i want a tough knife for prying open shells, slicing ropes, whittling sticks, killing fish, and other exploring tasks I deem fit.

More I think about it the more a fixed blade sounds like the one to get....is that fixed blade a Mora? And if so, which one would you choose?

Get yourself a $20 Victorinox tinker so you have a good compact folder in your pocket for small stuff, and buy a machete when you get there.

With the Vic recruit you will not only have 2 small knife blades ( one to keep razor sharp for an emergency ) but you'll have a can opener, cap lifter, 3 screwdrivers, an awl you can make holes with as well as repair clothing, and you'll have an all important toothpick & tweezers.

Machete will be everywhere and guides always have them. Not worried about that. i want a tough knife for prying open shells, slicing ropes, whittling sticks, killing fish, and other exploring tasks I deem fit.

More I think about it the more a fixed blade sounds like the one to get....is that fixed blade a Mora? And if so, which one would you choose?
The Mora Pro S is like $13, stainless, and tough.

In that case, I say buy whatever fixed blade you find there for about $20.
You'll have a neat souvenir of your trip, plus no worries about losing it on the way there.
You'll definitely be able to find a sturdy enough fixed blade with stainless steel there for about $20. :thumbsup:

Scrolling through the responses I can't believe it took so long for a machete to be brought up.
They will likely already have them, and can probably be purchased in town prior to his "off the beaten path" excursion without worry of TSA taking them. Likely for less $$$ too.

I would go with a stainless Mora in their plastic sheath.

Packing a machete in a checked bag seems a bit silly when he could probably buy one when he gets there for a few dollars at most. You can get Colombian machetes here in the states for $3-5 each, I have a ton of them and 8 more on the way. OP asked about a "$20 knife", not a machete.

Packing a machete in a checked bag seems a bit silly when he could probably buy one when he gets there for a few dollars at most.

No one said to bring one with him.
The advice was to buy one there.

Once he said there'd already be machetes aplenty (and that he's going on a guided tour with guides who have machetes), the advice returned to cheap stainless steel fixed blades, which I still say is better to buy there.

Tramontina, who is a major machete manufacturer, also makes stainless steel fixed blade knives.
They'll be easy to find at reasonable prices there.

Mora and an Opinel seem like a good combo, keep the Mora on a belt, drop the Opinel in your pocket. That way you have a large blade for the bigger tasks and the Opinel if you just need a small blade for a quick simple task. (Or keep the Mora in a backpack as long you don't see a need for it.)

If you decide on an Opinel, you will need to treat the wood handle to resist moisture. As it comes from the factory, the wood is prone to swell when wet, making the blade hard to pull out. That could be a problem in a humid climate. Frankly, due to living in a temperate zone, I haven't done this with mine, although occasionally it does get difficult to access the blade on some days. Usually, the coupe Savoyard does the trick, so I haven't bothered. I don't know how best to proceed, but hoping an experienced hand weighs in on this.

No one said to bring one with him.
The advice was to buy one there.

Once he said there'd already be machetes aplenty (and that he's going on a guided tour with guides who have machetes), the advice returned to cheap stainless steel fixed blades, which I still say is better to buy there.

Tramontina, who is a major machete manufacturer, also makes stainless steel fixed blade knives.
They'll be easy to find at reasonable prices there.

The OP said he wanted to take it with him....Get a machete :rolleyes:
The OP also said he wanted a folder or fixed blade knife....Get a machete :rolleyes:

The OP said he wanted to take it with him....Get a machete :rolleyes:

You misunderstood, the machete recommendations were for him to skip the knife and wait til he gets there to get what he needs, a local machete. He then came later said that machetes would be there and was looking for knives, after which machetes weren't recommended to him.

Also, a ferro rod in the jungles of Columbia? Most survivalists couldn't even use them in the forests of the PNW, I doubt it would be even close to usable in the jungle.

A Mora HD stainless is still probably the best choice for the OP, though, just skip the ferro rod.

Will not have time to search for a knife in medellin between airports. Nuqui will not have anything other than machete and super super cheap knife. I want a dependable tool, not a hazard and stitches waiting to happen.

Not going to the amazon, just as remote on the pacific coast though. Far more rain, believe it or not.

Sounds like the stainless Mora is the way to go and leave for my host. They are $13 on amazon.

Love the passion in this thread.

Will not have time to search for a knife in medellin between airports. Nuqui will not have anything other than machete and super super cheap knife. I want a dependable tool, not a hazard and stitches waiting to happen.

Sounds like the stainless Mora is the way to go and leave for my host.

That will work. :thumbsup:
The Tramontina knife I had was full tang, with a 5 inch blade, and I'd trust it far more than any Mora (you would not believe the stupid torture that knife went through :D).
It was an older model, and would be harder to find in the States than the Mora though.

Which Mora are you planning on getting? Don't post a link, just the name. There are some Moras that are more heavy duty than others. The Companion HD in orange would be a great choice in stainless for $13. :thumbsup:

If you want a fixed blade then I would probably get a stainless Mora or a Bucklite max ( the buc

Not going to the amazon, just as remote on the pacific coast though. Far more rain, believe it or not.

Sounds like the stainless Mora is the way to go and leave for my host. They are $13 on amazon.

Love the passion in this thread.
Yeah, just go with a inexpensive Mora companion HD.

I believe the Companion HD is carbon steel. He's looking for stainless.

I thought it was available in stainless steel.
But since he plans to leave it he could always paint the blade.

Either way some kind of Mora of his choosing is probably the way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back