Knife for jungle - $20 or less

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd have a Vic SAK in my pocket regardless of getting the Mora fixed blade. SAKs are universally handy when traveling. Most things (safe to drink for us Gringo's) are bottled and the cap lifter comes in real handy.

Get the Mora Pro S I suggested.
I've had a lot of Mora companions, and they are great, but the Pro is a step up in terms of beefiness, and you mentioned wanting to be able to pry with it. Can't go wrong with it.

The Mora Companion I think he is talking about for $13 is stainless.

• Versatile fixed blade outdoor knife of hardened Sandvik 12C27 stainless steel
  • Patterned, high-friction grip makes the knife comfortable to hold and easy to handle
  • Blade length: 4.1 inches (104 mm); Blade thickness: 0.1 inch (2.5 mm); Overall length: 8.6 inches (218 mm); Weight w/ sheath: 4.1 oz. (116 g)

Get the Mora Pro S I suggested.
I've had a lot of Mora companions, and they are great, but the Pro is a step up in terms of beefiness, and you mentioned wanting to be able to pry with it. Can't go wrong with it.

Are you talking about the Craftline Pro S?
Blade Thickness: 0.08 in (0.2 cm), Blade Length: 3.6 in (9.1 cm), Total Length: 8.25 in (20.9 cm), Net Weight: 4.0 oz (115 g)

Are you talking about the Craftline Pro S?
Blade Thickness: 0.08 in (0.2 cm), Blade Length: 3.6 in (9.1 cm), Total Length: 8.25 in (20.9 cm), Net Weight: 4.0 oz (115 g)
My mistake, I thought the Pro S was the same spec as the Robust...
In that case, I'd say just get the Mora Robust... yeah, its carbon steel, but its also 0.130 thick and $16.
Its not like those machetes are stainless...

I'd have a Vic SAK in my pocket regardless of getting the Mora fixed blade. SAKs are universally handy when traveling. Most things (safe to drink for us Gringo's) are bottled and the cap lifter comes in real handy.

Can open a bottle with nearly anything. Stupid party trick i learned a while ago.

Is a Mora the best choice for a burly knife, holding an edge, fixed blade, $20 or less?
$20 or less, probably yes.
I had 20+ Mora's and use them daily in the kitchen.

Mora Robust is as good as any $100 fixed blade I've ever had.
If you get that knife specifically, the sheath is flattened on the outside.
For another $10 you can find a Fallkniven d3t stone, which is a small diamond stone with an industrial adhesive tape on one side.
You can tape that to the outside flat part of the Robust's sheath, and you've got a great knife and sharpening stone set up for around $25.
Here it is on the right, w a Cold Steel Finn Wolf on the left
cNu11gT.jpg

The entire Mora line is amazing. You can't really go wrong with any of them.
If you want prying ability, I'm just saying then go with the thickest blade you can get that the price point you are at, which is the Robust.

I don't have one , but it looks like it would do just fine . Yeah , and I love the rig in post #49 above with the sharpener stuck on the sheath ! :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I would for sure go fixed blade of some kind .

Robust? S? Comlanion HD?

Decision is yours. Companion HD comes in stainless and is 0.1" thick.

Robust is carbon and a tad thicker at 0.13" thick.

Really can't go wrong with either. If you get the carbon, you could put a forced patina on it before you leave. Soak in hot vinegar for a short time and wipe down. The patina will help protect the blade from oxidizing.

Which will hold an edge better?

Stainless steel is more abrasion resistant, so it will hold an edge longer. High-carbon steel will lose its edge faster but be easier to sharpen. As far as toughness, stainless is more brittle but in such a small knife it probably won’t matter all that much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back