Knife handling wisdom and advice

Post here wise sayings and advice for handling knives. Getting stuck or sliced happens to the best of us, and maybe we can save some fingers here. Plus, I am not the best so I could definitely use some sound advice to use and pass on to generations to come.

The biggest one I remember is: Never catch a falling knife if you drop it. Obviously, you may catch the blade and cut yer fingers off. I cringe just thinking about it.

Please feel free to add.

Always use a knife as it was designed, as a cutting tool. Nothing more than that.

Never trust a lock on a knife. There is no such thing as "nearly as sturdy" as a fixed blade. If you need a fixed blade, buy and carry a fixed blade. In construction, I use my folding lockers all day long. But I only use them as intended, to cut things. The locks don't collapse, my fingers are all intact, and I only nick myself if I slip when using the knife, or drop it. (See above!) Think of locks on a knife as a poor safety on a gun. They should work fine, but what happens if they don't? This philosophy has served me well since my first locker bought in 1975.

Don't buy crappy knives for any reason.

Just had this very same conversation with my nephew.

Robert

Last edited:
In the Boy Scouts we had a rule that when handing someone a knife, you must wait to hear "thank you" before letting go of it to insure it isn't dropped.

Also we had a thing called a "Blood Line" which was where you would hold your knife out at arms length (closed) and turn around 360 degrees to establish a zone free of people so you can use your knife safely.

Might seem silly to some but when you have 10-20 ten-year old kids with pocket knives, its better safe than sorry lol.

As you go through your life
Two rules will never bend
Do not whittle toward yourself
Or pee against the wind.

I heard this somewhere when I was a youngster...

I actually whittle toward myself all the time so I look at it as more poetic than instructional.
If you have been peeing into the wind, Please stand down wind!:)

I'll second these ones:

Do not whittle toward yourself.

n3UGAKo.jpg

"A falling knife has no handle."

KhFw7SG.jpg

Any knife that folds, is an accident waiting to happen.
... especially if you try and stab with it"

(This one is a bit harder to see)
HOawqek.jpg

Back