Knife. Jar $$$

Krav

Gold Member
I think I'm going to use a knife jar again. I get a empty coffee can, and when possible throw money $ bills change into it, to buy my next knife.

I did this when I wanted my hinderer xm 18 3.5 spanto, it took a couple of months but it worked. I put money into it and forget about it.

I want a strider smf cc with new lock up.

Has anyone else ever done this?

Want knife or knives did you obtain?

I've been throwing spare change into a tin for a couple of years. There's easily enough there to buy a NIB Sebenza but I'm too lazy to wrap it, and banks want to charge me to cash it in.

For now I'll keep adding to it and someday put it towards a new DSLR.

I've done something similar, but not to buy a knife. I usually use an envelope and put a few bucks away here and there for future purchases usually it's for a new tattoo. However I will probably start a fund for a little birthday treat for a new knife and flashlight. Another thing that I find works really we'll is to only spend bills and save all your change and put that into a jar, I've taken a few vacations and have used all the change for my spending money.

That's a great idea! My kids take all of my pocket change and put in their jar. This way I can reclaim some (maybe...)!

My spare change jar/bottle hasn't gained much since my toddler daughter discovered that she likes "feeding" her piggy bank.

Oh well. :D

Back in the OLD days, I had two sets of multiple jars in the cupboard. They were labeled in pairs - rent, elec, tele, cable, food, gas, fun with a MISC jar with half the budgeted amount on the label. All change went into the MISC jar everyday. That would be used to buy whatever - knives, dive equipment, guns, etc. On each pay day (1st/15th), I would put half the rent in the rent jar, etc. When that bill came in or was due, I would use the money from that jar to pay that bill. I had 2 sets of jar because a bill might not come due before the 1st payday of the next month, so the 2 sets of jars would be alternated each month. I had 30% of my pay going straight to savings so I didn't have to budget it.

We also have a big family change jar, for whatever comes up, vacation money, or well just split it up when we get a good amount in it.

I hide my knife jar, my son is always getting into the family change jar. Sometimes I give him dollars for his change. I think at least on 1 occasion he took money from the change jar and exchanged it for bills from me and I put it right back.:rolleyes:

We had a little talk about that.;)

I don't have a knife jar per sé, the wife and I save all out change in a big jar and every few months take it to coin star and get an amazon gift card (for which you get to skip the 8.9¢/dollar fee) and spend that on whatever we want.

Yeah, I have a really big jar, it's called "The Bank". Every pay day, ALL of my money goes into it, and when I have enough I buy a new knife :D

I should probably get my change through a coinstar machine one of these days too. Mine should have about $40 in it by now.

No knife jar here since I'm not looking to buy any really expensive knives yet.

But when I do want to save up for something expensive, I usually calculate using an Excel spreadsheet how much I can spend per month to get what I want in x months. For me, it is a good way to see where my money is going on average and where I can tweak my spending so that I can save towards buying something.

I have a separate "play" saving account linking to my bank accounts. The day before I get paid, I take anything left in my checking account and put it into that savings account. That is my knife or whatever fund.

Great idea! I take a monsters ink piggy bank (its shaped like the little green guy and about a foot tall) & toss my singles and change in him to save for my wicked edge pro pack 2.

Ill be doing this for knives in the future as well.

I do plumbing and remodel work so I get scrap cast, steel, aluminum, brass and copper everyday from demo. When I want a knife or car part I sell it to the scrap yard. Bought my last Sebenza and half of my Mustang mods with free scrap metal.

I don't have a cookie jar. I don't work so I don't have change at the end of the day. I usually have to sell a knife in order to buy a knife. Probably a good thing, or my house would be littered with knives.

I put all my spare change in a big plastic folgers coffee can, lid taped shut hole cut in the top when it,s full then we empty it at my banks coin machine {no fees}.
with a lot of Quarters that thing will hold over $300.00.

Mad money/luxury money --- for the 52 weeks of the year, add $$$ equating to the week. Week 1, $1. Week 2, $2.....week 48, $48. At the end of the year you'll have between $1300 and $1400 in the jar.

I plan on putting 1$ a week but add 1 $ every week, so week 1 is a buck, week two is 2$ week three is 3 $ and so on. Total is 1,378 if you do it right.

Back