Knife Job Opportunities in Oregon?

If this is in completely the wrong section then I’d appreciate it if someone moved it to the right thread, thanks :)

Aaaanyways, now that’s out of the way, my family will be moving to Salem OR in several months and I decided to go with them rather than remain here in MN. That said, I havnt picked a career or gotten a degree or anything yet, just work at a grocery store. I know of all the knife companies in Portland, and I’m considering moving there or commuting if I have to for a few months to save up to move there. How much opportunity is there in that area for someone who has very little experience, but is very passionate about knives, and is a quick learner to work their way up in whatever company and possibly become a knife designer?

Well the world is kind of full of folks with dreams like that. People want to design cars, or guns or knives or clothing.

Being local will pay some dividends to get your foot in the door at an entry level position like a shipper receiver. But after that it's a long slog up the ladder; no one spends a few months in the mail room and then straight up to a corner office. If you do get in you'll have to grind it out till you prove your chops.

I'd think a much better route would be some type of degree in industrial design or mechanical engineering or some other discipline to set yourself apart from all the other folks who want to do exactly what you're trying to do.

How much opportunity is there in that area for someone who has very little experience, but is very passionate about knives, and is a quick learner to work their way up in whatever company and possibly become a knife designer?

I'd say the folks who could best answer this question would be those companies themselves.

Plenty of them in the Portland area. It'd be worth reaching out to them and asking.

They'll likely give you an idea as to what educational pursuits might help you along as well. Can't hurt to ask.

Expect to find a job that mirrors your skills and experience, if you have none then you will most likely need to take whatever is offered. Unless you are some knife design prodigy, go to school and learn something. Otherwise you are in for a much longer and poorer road to your dream job.

Seriously, join the Oregon knife collector's. That way you're in touch with the people in the area who share your interests and they may have some insights.

I'd think a much better route would be some type of degree in industrial design or mechanical engineering or some other discipline to set yourself apart from all the other folks who want to do exactly what you're trying to do.

That, or possibly some sort of technical training in machining - milling, grinding, CNC programming, etc.

Back