Knife kit with 5 holes and 3 pins?

Probably a stupid question but if I don't ask---guess I would be stupid since I am not sure. I bought a fillet knife kit with 5 holes for pins. They sent me 3 pins so I assume, I am to use only 3 pins. Probably a matter of preference as to which holes to use but am wondering if there are specific holes, other than the middle one, that should be used. The others are 2 on each end, one nearer the middle than the other. Thanks for putting up with me!

It’s just preference. Most people would choose three evenly spaced spots, or choose two, whatever you’d like. Pins are just there to help with shear (think sliding the scale off the knife) if you don’t peen them so any spots you’d like are fine.

I would consider getting more pins. If not, I would install two at the front, where the greatest strain will be, and then the middle one.

Do you have pics or a link to the kit? 3 pins are typically more than enough for your typical knife handle, especially if you add some epoxy under the scales. What kind of pins did the kit provide? I assume the handle tang is drilled but not the scales?

Probably 3 holes for scales and 2 holes for a bolster

my guess is the spacing is set up you can use 3 pins or 2 pins for the handle scales. When using 3 pins, the outer pins are typically closer to the edges (front and back) than in a 2 pin setup.

If my diagram below makes sense, the black "o's" would be for a 2 pin setup, red for 3. Unless like mentioned above they are bolster holes which would not be in the center.

2/3 pin setup
oo o oo

Bolster setup
o
o o o (these are supposed to be indented but they don't show up that way for some reason)
o

Either contact the maker/seller and ask why, or better yet, just purchase pin stock and do it the way you want. : - :

You see this a lot. The blade is versatile with holes for several configurations. Use the pin placement you like. Most go with three evenly spaced pins.

And those 2 extra holes can help hold the scales on as well letting the epoxy fill in bewteen the scales and the hole in the tang.

Back