Knife Laws in France and England

Can anyone advise where I can find what can be carried in France or England? I was thinking about something in a 2-3 inch length blade. Thanks in advance.

Kevin

I believe that England is sub 3", and cannot lock (actually I think most if not all of Europe is like that, but don't quote me)

The under 3-inch with no lock rule in England is for carrying with out a specific reason. You can still carry larger knives and locking blades if you have a legitimate need. The problem is the cops will decide if your reason is legitimate or not rather than you. Out in the country hunting, fishing, hiking or farming yes, in any kind of a urban area probably a very big no.

basically french government says "if it locks, its illegal"
but as everyone knows us french vote laws not to have them respected but to see out how many ways we'll find to break them. so if you get caught by a cop tell him you use the knife at work or some other dumb excuse. as long as you're not going round the streets waving the knife at peoples faces screaming like a madman you shouldn't get in trouble.

Thanks for your responses, they are what i was looking for. How are multi-tools accepted?

Kev

In France, SAK and multitools are the safest way to go, especially if they are carried inside a belt sheath, which mean :
  • it's a tool
  • You're not trying to conceal it

Back