Knife laws in New Zealand?

My two cents: a couple years back I had a bad night after losing my mum and ended up at the cop shop. No crimes committed, just not in a good emotional state. I had my Mini Grip on me, and of course it was confiscated along with everything else. I explained I didn't consider it a weapon and that I'd carried a knife since the cub scouts. Eventually they took me home and gave it back to me. NZ cops rock, they are fair-minded and won't punish you unless you give them a reason.

i know this is an old thread, but nice to see other kiwis around here! and also, a while back i used to know someone who was a cop, he always told me it is perfectly legal to carry a knife out and about if its under 65mm(2 1/2" i think) but with good reason. and if you happen to have a knife thats over 2 1/2", i think its alright but you gotta have a really good reason, of course you can't decide if your reason is good enough or not. if your reason for carrying this knife is self defence, then thats a no no. carrying knives in nz for self defence is illegal from what ive heard.
of course you can carry a knife of any blade length on private property. and as people have mentioned before, switch blades, gravity knives, balisongs are all illegal
just be sensible and dont flash your knife around

Edit: also forgot to mention that multi tools, leatherman, swiss army knives, etc would be better to carry due to the screw drivers and other tools. a bit more of a "utility" knife if y'all get what i mean

Last edited:
Would I be legal to import a Jimmy Lile Rambo Mission ‘ Stiletto’ to NZ ?
This is part of a complete Lile first Blood set & is an expensive collectors item.

Would I be legal to import a Jimmy Lile Rambo Mission ‘ Stiletto’ to NZ ?
This is part of a complete Lile first Blood set & is an expensive collectors item.
As I understand it double ground, double edged knives are a problem and require a Police Permit to import. I believe this is available from your local Firearms Officer.

I am actually visiting NZ now and I have seen a number of people carrying Leatherman's and other multi-tools on their belts openly. I would not chance that in the UK.
It seems to me that everyone is fairly chilled out about stuff here.

Steven..whereabout are you in NZ?
I live in Rangiora, just North of Christchurch.
I'm in Wellington. I have visited NZ many times over the last 20 years and I have yet to visit the South Island.......crazy!😲😆

Edit: also forgot to mention that multi tools, leatherman, swiss army knives, etc would be better to carry due to the screw drivers and other tools. a bit more of a "utility" knife if y'all get what i mean
I'm in NZ and just working on a bit of an EDC kit (thinking, torch, multitool, paracord maybe etc...) do you think I would need more of a reason than just "I might need to like open something with scissors or use a screwdriver etc." to carry around a swiss army knife?

I'm a bit of a stickler for the rules and I melt in any confrontation so I just want to ensure I'm on the right side of the law here. Thanks!

Folders are legal to carry in public provided they are not assisted or gravity opening and the blade is under 100mm.
Sorry for this being so long ago.
Where are you getting this from? From how I read it, the law on needing a reason to carry it would apply to multitools/pocket knives as well? Is this not correct and if so could I have a link to that in the law?
Doubt you'll see this but if you do thank you so much!

There is no defined limit for NZ for regular knives (i.e. non auto, single edge) - it's all based on "reasonable excuse" and while vague, it is also common sense in context.
In other words, as long as you're not doing something stupid or carrying as weapon it's fine. NB: There is no legal carry of ANY item as a weapon in NZ for civilians.

I'm back in NZ at the moment and happily EDCing a Spyderco with a 3.5" blade. I use it to cut food, fruits and boxes. It's a reasonable excuse. I cut my McDonald's burgers in half. I don't wave it around in public. No one will give it a second thought unless you are deliberately trying to cause trouble or look suspicious.

You could carry a 12" fixed blade too... but that would not be advised at the local mall. But if you were in a wilderness area that would be perfectly legal. In rural areas you may see hunters and farmers with fixed blades (like 5" to 6" skinner) on their belt, but then probably not at the pub.

I would probably not want to explain my Cold Steel Vaquero Grande 6" folder ... even though it may be my bagel knife. A cop might question a Spyderco Civilian... if you were ever stopped and searched in the first place, which is unlikely unless you are acting suspicious in the first place.

But a typical locking folder or multitool... all fine. Just be sensible and don't attract attention. I generally stick to folders under 4" and fixed blades on person, only when actually out doing an outdoor activity like fishing.

I carry a para 3 or similar when out of Auckland city (clipped RH pocket & I ride a Motorbike) and never had any issue from any police officer (one had a good look because he was a knife guy) however he warned me within Auckland City the general rule is basically the same as NZ Civil Aviation, but handle size is more looked at due to the risk of cuts from opening a blade.
On this basis I carry a lil'Native or G10 Dragonfly when in the City. Aviation law below:
"All pocket knives and multi-tools will be measured unopened and any that are 9.5cm in length or longer will not be allowed to travel. Multi-tools and pocket knives that measure 9.5cm in length are likely to have a blade that exceeds 6cm.

What are the restrictions?

• Knives with blades more than 6cm long must be carried in checked-in luggage
  • Knives with blades less than 6cm can be taken in carry-on bags"
We are lucky in NZ that the police are really good at being level headed, main law here is "don't be a dick"

That's the first time I've heard that "guidance" as far as carry - and that's all it is, guidance. It's not law and just make sure you have a "reasonable excuse" for what you have.
A 9.5cm handle will cover most SAK, but not a Sypderco Delica.

Digging up an old thread. I am looking to gift a family friend a leatherman rebar in person (usa). Will he be able to fly it back with him when he returns to NZ?

Digging up an old thread. I am looking to gift a family friend a leatherman rebar in person (usa). Will he be able to fly it back with him when he returns to NZ?
He really should not have any problems.
I'll be flying into Auckland next month to visit my Mum and I always travel with a big Victorinox Hercules which, after many entries into New Zealand, has never caused any bother.

Back