Recommendation? Knife maker name

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Alec1624, Feb 26, 2021.

1. Alec1624

Alec1624

Feb 26, 2021
    Hi everybody
    Recently i started to make folding knives in a home shop and i desided to make a new small business . But the only thing im confused of is choosing a good name !!
    Can you help me out guys !?

2. 3fifty7

3fifty7 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 24, 2016
    When this topic comes up most responses are something to indicate your name and location.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2021
    Ron Raducanu likes this.
  3. Natlek

Natlek

Jun 9, 2015
    Alec

Ken H> likes this.
  4. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    Good Name Knifeco

Mecha and Natlek like this.
  5. eyeeatingfish

eyeeatingfish

Dec 9, 2003
    Gotta give more information about yourself and what you want to make. Style? Use?

My business was a play on words based on a phrase common to where I am from.

"Matt Would Craft"

Ron Raducanu likes this.
  6. Ron Raducanu

Ron Raducanu Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 10, 2021
    In this book, which I read and is awesome, Mr. Fry recommends using your actual name.
    http://www.frycustomknives.com/product/knifemaking-hacks
    Nothing is more personal, and heart felt than making a product you put your soul into, and then putting your name on it. A company name will disappear with time.

Any car enthusiast knows a Ferrari and who its creator was. If he would have called it "Cool Italian Supercar," it wouldn't have had the same flair.

Natlek and SBuzek like this.
  7. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    Welcome Alec. Fill out your profile so we know a bit about you and where you live.

Use your name.
    Use simple block letters.
    Tell people where the knife was made.

ALEC SMITH
    NORFOLK, VA

A. SMITH
    TEXAS

SMITH KNIVES
    SPRINGFIELD, AK

Handmade by
    SMITH
    KENTUCKY

8. Drew Riley

Drew Riley Riley Knife and Tool Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 17, 2007
    What's your last name?

9. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 6, 2000
    No clue.
    Bill DeShivs

10. Storm W

Storm W

Feb 19, 2019
    Is there a reason for block letters. I am planning just using my first name and was going to use a script. Is there a reason not to?

SBuzek likes this.
  11. SBuzek

SBuzek KnifeMaker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 7, 2006
    If it is a easy to read script it is ok, as long as it can be decifered

Ken H> and Storm W like this.
  12. Brady13

Brady13

Apr 30, 2019
    First initial.last name
    B.Huryn

13. Daniel Fairly Knives

Daniel Fairly Knives Full Time Knifemaker Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 9, 2011
    Last name in legible font, if a common last name use first initial or name. This is the industry standard.

SBuzek likes this.
  14. JTknives

JTknives Blade Heat Treating www.jarodtodd.com Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 11, 2006
    Back in the day it seamed like every one wanted a snazzy name for their bound to fail knife business (sorry but it’s the truth). With the advent of the internet and social media (grumble) your best bet is just use your name. People buy a custom knife because thy want that hand crafted item not production. You put a name like hyper wiz bang on it and your just another company but put your actual name on it and it is you.

it also makes it a lot easier when you get you business license and pay your taxes (grumble). As a sole proprietor your business can just be your name. But I will tell you this, there is a certain joy that you can only get from owning a business that is actually legit. Because technically you don’t start a business till you have a business license. Trust me it makes taxes a lot easier. And with the increased taxes bound to hit us in the next few years I highly recommend being above board on everything. Sorry if this is more info then you wanted but I have been there and wish I knew then what I know now. It’s a TON of work and long nights and day jobs. Take everything you make and reinvest in back into the company (tax write off). The best news I have ever heard was when our tax lady shook our hand and said “congratulations you did not make any money this year”.

On a side note do you have any pictures of the knives you make?

Josh Rider and Brady13 like this.
  15. Natlek

Natlek

Jun 9, 2015
    Henry Ford ? Who the hell is this guy ?
    Enzo Ferrari ? Who the hell is this guy ?
    Nick Wheeler ? Who the hell is this guy ?

Well , they ARE some guys .............today :D

Alec Smith ? Who the hell is this guy ?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
    Ron Raducanu likes this.
  16. 12345678910

Jul 13, 2009
    Your name is the least important thing (use your own real name.)

Get some skills first.
    That will keep you busy for a few years.

Josh Rider and Hengelo_77 like this.
  17. Richard338

Richard338 Gold Member Gold Member

May 3, 2005
    Prestige Worldwide!

Nick-D, Kevin Kf knives and BRab like this.
  18. Mecha

Mecha Titanium Bladesmith Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 27, 2013
    You gotta come up with something Xtreme, and then either add an "s" on the end to make it plural, or use a past tense adjective. Something like Skull Crusher Tactical, or Max Speed Steel Works, or maybe Full Auto Forged. Logo should include a skull (not optional), and a dangerous animal, weapon, and/or flames.

19. eric brinkerhoff

eric brinkerhoff

Mar 10, 2013
    Don't put anything on your knives that doesn't actually mean something or have some real significance to you. Don't just put something on your knives because it's "cool".

Ken H> likes this.
  20. Alec1624

Alec1624

Feb 26, 2021
    Th
    This is exactly what I'm looking for a badass name !!! Can you give me more examples