Recommendation? Knife maker name

Hi everybody
Recently i started to make folding knives in a home shop and i desided to make a new small business . But the only thing im confused of is choosing a good name !!
Can you help me out guys !?

When this topic comes up most responses are something to indicate your name and location.

Last edited:
Gotta give more information about yourself and what you want to make. Style? Use?

My business was a play on words based on a phrase common to where I am from.

"Matt Would Craft"

In this book, which I read and is awesome, Mr. Fry recommends using your actual name.
http://www.frycustomknives.com/product/knifemaking-hacks
Nothing is more personal, and heart felt than making a product you put your soul into, and then putting your name on it. A company name will disappear with time.

Any car enthusiast knows a Ferrari and who its creator was. If he would have called it "Cool Italian Supercar," it wouldn't have had the same flair.

Welcome Alec. Fill out your profile so we know a bit about you and where you live.

Use your name.
Use simple block letters.
Tell people where the knife was made.

ALEC SMITH
NORFOLK, VA

A. SMITH
TEXAS

SMITH KNIVES
SPRINGFIELD, AK

Handmade by
SMITH
KENTUCKY

What's your last name?

Welcome Alec. Fill out your profile so we know a bit about you and where you live.

Use your name.
Use simple block letters.
Tell people where the knife was made.

ALEC SMITH
NORFOLK, VA

A. SMITH
TEXAS

SMITH KNIVES
SPRINGFIELD, AK

Handmade by
SMITH
KENTUCKY
Is there a reason for block letters. I am planning just using my first name and was going to use a script. Is there a reason not to?

Back in the day it seamed like every one wanted a snazzy name for their bound to fail knife business (sorry but it’s the truth). With the advent of the internet and social media (grumble) your best bet is just use your name. People buy a custom knife because thy want that hand crafted item not production. You put a name like hyper wiz bang on it and your just another company but put your actual name on it and it is you.

it also makes it a lot easier when you get you business license and pay your taxes (grumble). As a sole proprietor your business can just be your name. But I will tell you this, there is a certain joy that you can only get from owning a business that is actually legit. Because technically you don’t start a business till you have a business license. Trust me it makes taxes a lot easier. And with the increased taxes bound to hit us in the next few years I highly recommend being above board on everything. Sorry if this is more info then you wanted but I have been there and wish I knew then what I know now. It’s a TON of work and long nights and day jobs. Take everything you make and reinvest in back into the company (tax write off). The best news I have ever heard was when our tax lady shook our hand and said “congratulations you did not make any money this year”.

On a side note do you have any pictures of the knives you make?

Henry Ford ? Who the hell is this guy ?
Enzo Ferrari ? Who the hell is this guy ?
Nick Wheeler ? Who the hell is this guy ?

Well , they ARE some guys .............today :D

Alec Smith ? Who the hell is this guy ?

Last edited:
You gotta come up with something Xtreme, and then either add an "s" on the end to make it plural, or use a past tense adjective. Something like Skull Crusher Tactical, or Max Speed Steel Works, or maybe Full Auto Forged. Logo should include a skull (not optional), and a dangerous animal, weapon, and/or flames.

Don't put anything on your knives that doesn't actually mean something or have some real significance to you. Don't just put something on your knives because it's "cool".

Th
You gotta come up with something Xtreme, and then either add an "s" on the end to make it plural, or use a past tense adjective. Something like Skull Crusher Tactical, or Max Speed Steel Works, or maybe Full Auto Forged. Logo should include a skull (not optional), and a dangerous animal, weapon, and/or flames.

This is exactly what I'm looking for a badass name !!! Can you give me more examples

Back