Photos Knife Mods! Did it yourself? ...show off your work.

Warranties be damned. Here's a thread for the "did it myself" modders to show the manufacturers how you made their production knives better or if you broke it and then fixed it better than new...Show off your mods. Tells us why and how you did 'em.

From the Top

PM2 52100 - I sanded the grind lines down and put a 220 grit satin then forced a rich patina. I felt the blade with patina would look much better with distressed micarta scales than with the original peel ply CF.

Spyderco Nirvana - I happened to have two Nirvana's and while the original design is fine, I thought I would experiment a little. It has a convex grind I did with a Rotozip, Spyderco Diamond Rods, Spyderco Sharpmaker rods, Spyderco bench stones, and lots of 180 grit and 220 grit sandpaper. The primary grind was thinned quite a bit, with a convex secondary bevel to avoid chipping. Polish is probably 95% perfect but I'm struggling to achieve a perfect Rockstead like polish. I may settle on a 220 grit satin if I can't get a perfect polish. I plan to sand off the blade markings at some stage. I cut a ramp for the detent ball to try to save what's left of it.

Cold Steel SRK Carbon V - It was my field knife when I was in the infantry and then just a camping knife when I changed MOS. It is the oldest knife in my collection. It sat in a metal truck box for a long time, I almost forgot about it. Digging it out of the truck box and learning more about it on the internet kick-started my collection. It has a convex grind a thin edge (for an SRK), and a rich patina.

WE702 - I bought it because it was a good looking integral at a decent price. The black DLC coating was crap. It was shiny on one side and dusty on the other. Instead of going through the whole "RMA to find out, they all suck" routine, I figured I'd fix it myself. I sanded down the DLC, thinned the edge and gave it a 220 grit satin finish. Vertical grind lines on the primary bevel and horizontal lines on the flats. I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out.

Spyderco Hungarian - I hated the sharp flat spine and the sharp "clip" over the Spyderhole. The angles clashed horribly with the curves of the handle so I grinded down the spine with the old Rotozip to a Persian style and sanded the spine to a subtle crown. When sanding the spine I scratched the blade a little so I cleaned it up with the old 220 Grit paper. It slices like a scalpel. This is my only knife that I have named....so far. This is Col. Kovats.

Benchmade 610 Rukus - I way over paid for this one on EBAY and it had a grind defect from the manufacturer. I couldn't really fault the seller cause it was a slight cosmetic defect at best. It always nagged me, so I went to work sanding it and filing it with the Spyderco rods. Its much thinner behind the edge and is very slicey. The flats are 95% perfectly polished, (detect a theme here?) and the primary grind is, you guessed it , 220 grit satin.

38002842881_896b2eda9e_k.jpg

Last edited:

Used to be a 16" Dexter US Army cooks knife that was sent home with my dad in the 80's when they could no longer use wood handles. It ended up losing 2" of the tip at some point and my dad gave it to me as a teenager to repurpose / modify when I was really getting interested in tinkering.

This was my messed up childhood schrade 34OT stockman

This started as a Mora #711 all-round, the handle with ferrule came off of an old awl from my grandfather.

This is a 1950's Imperial H6 fixed blade that I made wooden replacement scales for, made my own guard that looks a little better than the plated original, and I added a swedge to the clip of the blade.

Last edited:
This is a 1950's Imperial H6 fixed blade that I made wooden replacement scales for, made my own guard that looks a little better than the plated original, and I added a swedge to the clip of the blade.

I really like your old Imperial Hunter . It reminds me of a "Short" Ka-bar, about 5" long blade, it looks like. There's some kind of bonding that happens when you do your own work. Especially reviving your dad's and grand dad's old tools. Thanks for posting.

I really like your old Imperial Hunter . It reminds me of a "Short" Ka-bar, about 5" long blade, it looks like. There's some kind of bonding that happens when you do your own work. Especially reviving your dad's and grand dad's old tools. Thanks for posting.

No ,thank you for the comment!
I 100% agree about the personal connection when doing things yourself.

This knife is a replacement for the one my dad had that I couldn't receive.
He got the hatchet and knife combo as a kid, but the knife apparently disappeared while he was off in the army so all he could find to me as a little kid was the hatchet.
This particular knife wasn't sold in a combo but that doesn't change any.

I cut down an Opinel #12 and made it into a highly efficient boxcutter.

This thing is scary sharp, easy to keep sharp (being the carbon version) and have zipped through many a cardboard box with no effort at all.

You dont have to worry about the Opi cutting cardboard, it does that with ease - you have to look out for your fingers and other appendages in the path of the Opinel.

I sure other Opinel owners have experienced the same.

This and a Leatherman Micra is really all you need.

Last edited:
Kershaw CQC-1K,full flat ground to 0.005" and acid stonewashed. Damn decent knife for $20 shipped off the big river site... satisfied my Gentleman Jim itch (that I would've had to regrind too, probably) ;)

screenshot_20171023-200008-png.786069
screenshot_20171023-200012-png.786070

Mega-waved Spyderco Civilian

img_20170320_102610-jpg.729229

Boker Albatross that I clipped the point and jigged/anodized the handles on.
img_20170202_120723_edit_1486066471022-jpg.741866
img_20170202_120618_edit_1486066752924-jpg.741867
img_20170202_120604_edit_1486066914790-jpg.741868
img_20170202_120546_edit_1486066966666-jpg.741869

There's a bunch more floating around...I can't leave anything alone ;). Not warranty voiding necessarily, but here's a bunch of anodizing I've done as well.

~Chip

That's the one for doing the dirty deeds huh CM? That's the one you push down the sewer grate or throw onto a rooftop when you're done using it right?

Just stamping it into the ground blade first works best probably. ;)

Exactly. Disposable.

Back