Photos Knife Mods! Did it yourself? ...show off your work.

We have a guy with a laser engraver who comes to the local gun show. I have him mark my unmarked blades since I have such a short memory. Chris Reeve told me that the blade was BG-42 at the Blade Show.

Thanks! If you can call an old Delta 4"x36" a "belt grinder"with a straight face...then yes;). Followed by cleanup on diamond plates and hand sanding :).

~Chip

Regrinding a Boye Basic 3 (BDS) for kitchen duty...going to about half the original spine thickness (0.28" down to 0.125") :)

Screenshot_20171209-015800.png Screenshot_20171209-015807.png

~Chip

Here's a couple of pictures of a mod I made to a #73 GEC Tideout Linerlock.

CrwfpEN.jpg

eZikdHB.jpg

The blade and back spring in the second picture were placed for the picture - not the way they are assembled when the knife is assembled.

I accomplished the mod by running over the knife with my tractor and brush hog.

Last edited:
Here's a couple of pictures of a mod I made to a #73 GEC Tideout Linerlock.

CrwfpEN.jpg

eZikdHB.jpg

The blade and back spring in the second picture were placed for the picture - not the way they are assembled when the knife is assembled.

I accomplished the mod by running over the knife with my tractor and brush hog.

Man u got really lucky you have everything you need to put it back together. I would use some stag and do a liner delete :)

Now you can knock those sharp tang corners down a little to make that 73 less of a nail buster.

I reground the blade and did an acid stone wash finish on my mini grip. I'm pretty pleased with the results for my first attempt at any knife mods. It's a great slicer now.
Thinking about some micarta scales at some point when the budget allows.
i-c3t5WzR-X4.jpg

i-WcjPVfC-X4.jpg

The pic doesn't show it well, I rounded the spine on my Mantra1. I did the same on my OKC Rat 2 first, it served as the "guinea pig"
8ZRZTau.jpg

Somewhere during the step of screwing up I did this;
YnHZtY0.jpg

How well, just adds character.

Here are a few I've been working on. Nothing too crazy, but will get the one back in rotation and the other two a lot more EDU ready.

5mEEx0T.jpg

PbEtrsk.jpg

GYiEFUC.jpg

EKA H8 Hunter, have had a long time but stopped using it, the blade came with a bad warp, a bit of a recurve edge at the heel, and the handle a bit too chunky for my average hands. Finally got around to shrinking the handle, doing a regrind on the primary, still have to put a new cutting edge on it. Also a new waxed leather-in Kydex sheath with zipper sinnet/halfhitch wrap belt loop. Will make it a lot nicer for EDC.

The USA made Sharpfingers I picked up a while back on a good trade for some sharpening services. Ground the last bit of upswept tip off to make them more of a utility tip/mini-Winkler belt knife sort of thing, and makes them a lot less likely to snag when being re-sheathed. Also rounded the base of the handles.

Likewise made new leather-in Kydex with dark green and purple leather liners, respectively. These are gifts for the twins (one boy, one girl), camping, utility, EDU, I hope they find them useful for a long time. These replace the Mora 2/0's I initially gave them but am convinced they're going to cut their hands open without a guard of some sort. I also wanted to get them something with stainless blade.

I still have to buff them up a bit and put a fresh edge on, but otherwise ready to travel.

Last edited:
Here is my case trapper that I cut the blade down to have a little wharnie, also the sheath I made to put it in. Much more useful than the spey blade of the same length. I added a nail nick too but I don't have pictures of it. :/
8f8e9111-7e43-461c-bfba-323e8f24c488_zpstafbucfq.jpg

I thought it turned out pretty good!

Back