Knife Oil

I really don't want to buy special oil for my knifes.
What are good basic oils I have around the house for pivots and coating blade????
Suggestions ????

I think mineral oil is generally pretty good for blades, may not be the best for pivots.

I use coconut oil because it’s food safe and it hasn’t given me any problems, and kept the rust off my carbon nicely :thumbsup:

KPL is good stuff. Tuffglide is good for rubbing on blades to prevent rust, and it's okay for teflon washer based actions.

I wouldn't use oil that can go rancid or rot but if it works for you....

What will happen? Admitted ignorance. I use it because it’s what I have and it’s food safe. I never even considered that it has an expiration date.

Side note: I keep it very clean, wash it out and reapply every day, or maybe two if I’m busy.

I just use my Slip2000 or M-Pro7 or Weapon Shield
Those are just for coating the blade and wiping down. I have some Nano 85 weight as well.

I've used 3 in 1 oil (or generic hardware oil) for about 50 years on pivots and carbon blades for folders and fixed blades. Kitchen knives just get hand washed and dried.
Rich

What will happen? Admitted ignorance. I use it because it’s what I have and it’s food safe. I never even considered that it has an expiration date.

Side note: I keep it very clean, wash it out and reapply every day, or maybe two if I’m busy.
Well, since it is essentially food, it will mold and or go bad at some point. How that could hurt you or your knives, I don't know as I've never tried! If you keep it clean and reapply that often and it seems to be working, maybe no change is needed. For something food safe and that won't go bad, try mineral oil.

I also use RemOil. I have used mineral oil, white lithium spray lube and of course.. BabyOil, which is mineral oil with fragrance.

There really aren't any household oils I'd recommend as a pivot lube over something like KPL or NanoOil (if you happen to have fishing reel lube around the house, that works great; RemOil not quite as well, but works in a pinch). They'll perform adequately for coating carbon blades, but won't be nearly as good as TuffGlide/TuffCloth (unless you need food safe, in which case go with mineral oil).

You can absolutely use any cooking/salad oil you have around, BUT.... : most of them will get sticky, rancid or even corrosive over time. Not a big deal for one or several often used knives. I used olive oil for years to prevent corrosion on (frequently used) carbon steel blades. Now that I have so many knives that I can't use them all frequently, I switched over to Camelia oil (tea seed oil). It's food safe, neutral, stable and very affordable. With a small drop, the most sensitive carbon steel blades stay pristine unused for months. What is there not to like ? Short answer : get a specialized oil. Grease from the hub won't do the trick.

For the amount of scratch I spent on my blades one $10 bottle of oil ain't going to kill me.
Some household/industrial oils will leave a residue, which is kinda what they are designed for and could be a good thing if you don't handle your blades often.
The bad thing is I wouldn't want to cut an apple with that knife and then eat the apple. Not unless you want to risk some Hershey Squirts.
Just give it up and buy the good stuff.

IMG_1105.jpg

If I had to live with only one oil forever, it’d be Remington oil. Hands down. Been there, done that. Rem oil forever. If I’ll be using the knife on food, or dressing an animal, I just wipe the blade.

For the amount of scratch I spent on my blades one $10 bottle of oil ain't going to kill me.
Some household/industrial oils will leave a residue, which is kinda what they are designed for and could be a good thing if you don't handle your blades often.
The bad thing is I wouldn't want to cut an apple with that knife and then eat the apple. Not unless you want to risk some Hershey Squirts.
Just give it up and buy the good stuff.

View attachment 1379770
Cool beans!

You can absolutely use any cooking/salad oil you have around, BUT.... : most of them will get sticky, rancid or even corrosive over time. Not a big deal for one or several often used knives. I used olive oil for years to prevent corrosion on (frequently used) carbon steel blades. Now that I have so many knives that I can't use them all frequently, I switched over to Camelia oil (tea seed oil). It's food safe, neutral, stable and very affordable. With a small drop, the most sensitive carbon steel blades stay pristine unused for months. What is there not to like ? Short answer : get a specialized oil. Grease from the hub won't do the trick.

Also this

IMG_1106.jpg

Back