Knife Oil

For blades I like Ballistol, which has a mineral oil base. I’m sorting out the best stuff for pivots....

I keep basic mineral oil around to wipe down blades and use Tuf Gilde for pivots ... CLP or Rem Oil works.

I use Break Free CLP. I bought some ALG Defense's, "Go-Juice" to try out, but I haven't tried it yet.

What also ? That's exactly my current knife oil ! Japanese camelia (teaseed) oil. There are many available out there, but I chose this one because it was offered by one of my trusted dealers. Good stuff, used and proved over two years !
If I remember correctly this is Yoshihiro oil, from the kitchen knife folks.

Also, on Japanese swords I used a clove oil. Very fragrant.

Tufglide on the pivot, hoppes no 9 on the blade. Rarely do I oil more than the pivot, but I'm in a fairly dry environment.

KPL. 3 in 1 works as well, but I don't like the smell. Mineral oil if I'm worried about being food safe. Since kpl or 3 in 1 only goes in the pivot I don't worry about it.

CLP if you want the oil to migrate into parts or tight spots... Kellube M12 if you want the oil to stay where you dispense it.

It has been mentioned several times, so I will add this : 3x1 is OK for a folder's pivot (especially when restoring an old knife) but it definitely is not to be used to prevent corrosion of the blade. Use only food grade oil on the blade (if there is any chance you will use this knife on food, that is ...).

You can often use various gun care products if you have them, although some are going to skew more towards lubrication and some others more towards corrosion protection. Mineral oil can be used (and food safe) but it doesn't have tremendous staying power (it can migrate), it doesn't provide super great corrosion protection, and you might find yourself reapplying often. Graphite lubricants work for the pivot but can be messy and hard to get into the pivot. In a pinch, if you need mineral oil fast, I've learned that if you have hair trimmers you can steal from the oil they come with! Beeswax works for limited short-term protection from rust.

If you do wind up purchasing a dedicated product and it is of interest, my go-to general purpose lubricant and corrosion preventive is Corrosion X. It skews more heavily toward corrosion prevention, but it provides reasonable lubrication (reasonably good at reducing friction; very good staying power). It's not quite as good in corrosion prevention as Eezox, but it's nontoxic, has a pretty mild smell, and doesn't harm other finishes. It's also cheap enough to use as a general purpose oil IMO.

I wouldn't use oil that can go rancid or rot but if it works for you....
It takes a couple years for coconut oil to go rancid by that point any old oil will have worn off making this a moot point.(I had a jar i used for leather conditioner for about 3 or 4 years and it never went rancid)

It takes a couple years for coconut oil to go rancid by that point any old oil will have worn off making this a moot point.(I had a jar i used for leather conditioner for about 3 or 4 years and it never went rancid)
Just so the context isn't lost.....I was responding to someone who later said he cleans and reapplies with use every day or two, so no real problem there.

To each their own but I don't like the concept of using a food item that does in fact rot, to protect my blades from corrosion. There are much better, widely available, and very inexpensive products. Mineral oil is perfect. Right tool for the right job sort of idea...

For other than knives used in the kitchen I've only used CLP.

Breakfree CLP has been my knife oil for years. I figured anything that did so well with firearms had to be ok with knives and their pivots. Then I saw a thread on this forum comparing various agents for corrosion protection, and CLP was right near the top of that list.

Mineral oil for the pivot.
Wax or food safe silicone to protect the blade from rust.
You may have some cutting board oil? That's just mineral oil. Pretty commonly found at many grocery and department stores. Also the wax that is a mix of beeswax, carnauba was, and mineral oil Usually on the same shelf as the cutting board oil.

Keep seeing that Aegis Edci is awesome to coat your blades. However, it is sold out everywhere due to Covid 19.

anyone have any suggestions I could get to use to coat my blades for storage? (Have a M4 Blade as well as 3V)

Back