Knife on Battlestar Galactica

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey,,,,you guys who know all the future shows,,,,shhhhhhhh...I dont want to know, so dont tell us,,,

so if you must tell stuff,,,tell lies,,,,Big huge lies,,,I wont know the difference for weeks,,,

If I understand the Cylon ship guy was a real liveing creature right?....it might have looked very different than us, But when the ship door opens we see it way laying against the hatch and it has a big body of some kind

....and the fact that there was a hatch means that the creature had to be able to get in and out and shut the door and open it,,,so this points to some form of legs and arms on it...

The ship was just a ship,,,and seemed to have normal controls for flight..
My impression was that the ship's interior was living tissue fused permanently with synthetic material, and that the living tissue simply existed inside the ship as though the ship was an exoskeleton.

Something else that bothered me was that Starbuck was apparently flying while looking out a forward facing window. However, how would she remove the mechanism for the electronic eye thing and still have a window there protecting her from the vacuum of space? Why would there be a glass window that could be seperately detatched from the lense of the electronic eye?

Not my favorite episode, but I liked the first three of the series, and the preview for tonight's episode looks interesting.

Now I didn't read all of the thread but I did read the first page. If you liked this show I'd highly recommend Firefly. its a series that was cancled due to Fox being stupid and wanting to go with the "Reality Spin" There is one complete season out (I purchased it at walmart for about 45$ I think). Fair warning, if you do get it you will be adicted to it and be pissed at the end.

There is apparently a movie coming out (in hopes to get the show back on the air) in April (22nd I think). Battle Star Galatica's camera movements and CGI reminded me of Firefly and if you liked the directing of BSG then you will love Firefly.

Theres my two cents.

Firefly was awesome. Just another example of Fox's shortsightedness and poor scheduling(Like Family Guy).
I think the DVD sales and the movie prove that.

Sharp Phil said:
I prefer to think that Firefly was canceled for being mind-numbingly boring.

Firefly was cacelled because network executives are mind numbingly boring, shallow as my dog's pee puddles, and as creative as the other products my dog produces on the ground. That show was funny, original, had strong characters, good acting, and a good subplot.

I am really regretting missing these first Battelstar Galactica episodes. I wish they would rerun them again soon, or put out a mini DVD so peopel could catch up.

Actually...

For the first two episodes they came out with a DVD since it was a pilot to the series (to test how well it would do). I actually own that movie, it combines the first two into one nice movie with some special bonus features. I got it at Walmart for 18 or so.

My fav line from Firefly was when the captain was sitting down for the first time with his "wife"

"If people try to kill you... You should kill them back."

So simple logic- and so damn funny.

JMHO but I think that Battlestar Galactica (the new series) is right up there with Babylon 5 as the best SciFi series ever on TV. Firefly & Space, Above & Beyond were also good but didn't last long enough to reach their potential.
Gene :D

wow....never knew they had brought the old BattleStar Galactica back to life.....dang....wishing I had cable TV.....course, wouldn't get anything done if I did, though....:D

maybe I'll pick up that DVD.

Love the new series. A little less sexuality would be a plus for the little sci-fi guys in the house.

Does anyone remember the show 'U.F.O.' ?
I loved that show as a kid. The interceptors with 1 torpedo. The flying sub. Never saw it come back around as reruns either.

Alex

10:00 tonight !

Thirteenth Star said:
My impression was that the ship's interior was living tissue fused permanently with synthetic material, and that the living tissue simply existed inside the ship as though the ship was an exoskeleton.

Perhaps...we dont know for sure yet,,
So this is just my guess...
But the switch on the hatch seems to show that someone needed to get in and out. Then Star Buck is able to drag the body out the hatch, this seems to point to the body being free to move around a bit. StarBuck is able to close and lock the hatch and that seems to hint the door could do this often.

also, StarBuck is able to use her hands to control the ship and her feet, and this shows us that the Cylon pilot also must have arms and feet in about the same position as humans.

Thirteenth Star said:
Something else that bothered me was that Starbuck was apparently flying while looking out a forward facing window. However, how would she remove the mechanism for the electronic eye thing and still have a window there protecting her from the vacuum of space? Why would there be a glass window that could be seperately detatched from the lense of the electronic eye?

Again, good question and as far as I know we are not really sure yet...
My guess is this:
Star buck seems to cut the body of the Cylon just to get in the door, then later finds the brain...This seems to hint that the "head" and the "body" were unconnected at the time...I have no idea if the Cylon had different body and head parts or was this the result of the gunshot and crash?

When Starbuck cuts the head free of the connections she turns it over and the head seems to have one really big eye. This big eye seemed still to look like a normal human eye so it must have the ability to see as we do.

Starbuck moves it out of the way and took it's place. There is also a shot of StarBuck moveing her own eyes left to right and back (just like the Cylon Red eye thingy) when she is busy flying the thing.

Now I dont remember a shot of her looking out a window. I only remember the camara showing her looking foward right?...so we dont know for shure what she was looking at do we?

I dont remember an outside the ship shot of her looking out the window.
I dont remember the Red Eye thin g working on her ship...

My guess is that she turned that off and moved it out of the way.

Thirteenth Star said:
Not my favorite episode, but I liked the first three of the series, and the preview for tonight's episode looks interesting.
Come back to this topic after tonights new show, and tell me your views...

Sharp Phil
...I sent some emails out to my family spread out all over America, and linked to your fine review of BattleStar, and everyone loved to read it, and wants you to add more and review tonights show!

DaQo'tah Forge said:
?.....and to talk about God so much?.....

I don't have cable so I won't see the series until it comes out on DVD but I did get the DVDs of the original series and the mini-series. IMO this could be a reference to Count Iblis, a demon-like entity who tried to take over the Colonial fleet on the episodes "War of the Gods" 1 & 2. Baltar noticed that Iblis had the voice of the Cylon Imperious leader, which could mean that Iblis may have offered a similar proposal to the Cylons thousands of years ago and became their "god."

In the original series the Cylons were a race of reptilians that created the robots and eventually were taken over by them. The original idea was for them to be reptilian cyborgs and that was their nature in the series of novels. Richard Hatch's sequels to the novels as well as the comics released in the 1990s make Iblis a more important figure than in the TV series. In both he is in almost direct control of the Cylons.

Whether Iblis will appear in the new series is just a guess.

The Battlestar Galactica Mini Series has been out on DVD for over a month now. I bought my copy at Best Buy.
234825.JPG

In the new series, the Cylons were created by man, not reptiles. It's interesting that the Cylon "hottie" who can't keep her hands off of Gaius Baltar claims that she "speaks to God" and several references are made to a spiritual awareness among the Cylons.

Anyway, the new episode airs tonight at 10:00 EST on the Sci Fi Channel and it looks like a good one. The "official" Battlestar Galactica site is:
http://www.scifi.com/battlestar/

As long as we're into thread drift...

The original series suffered from ABC pushing the creator into getting the series ready for the very next season's airing, after the original 3 hour movie. Larson wanted at least a year to write up some decent stories but ABC wouldn't have it, hence the ripoffs of Force 10 From Navarone and Shane in various episodes (remember Richard Hatch going against "Red Eye" in a suspiciously Western-looking town?).

I remember the Galactica 1980 debacle and the lost Starbuck episode. The episode was to explain how "Dr. Zee," a prescient albino-looking child, came to be among the fleet. He was the child Starbuck sent into space in a "life pod" made of his Viper cockpit and a Cylon engine.

The current series is interesting but I hate the camera work--this cinema verite fad has got to die out; it ruined The Bourne Supremacy-- especially the fight scene--for me. It sort of works in the CGI sequences, as it sort of did in Babylon 5's, but in live sequences I think it sucks.

I also question how the current Starbuck could survive against hard vacuum, having only plugged the hole in the Cylon ship with her flight jacket.
Unfortunately I didn't pay attention to the knife. Hopefully the show will hit its stride (for me), otherwise I probably won't last the rest of the season. Babylon 5's reputation as the best SF show of the past 3 decades thus far remains untouched, IMO.

I also remember UFO--its first run in the States was 1972, when I was a mere stripling. It's available on DVD, but having seen a revival of it in '88 or so on local PBS, I found it didn't stand up. Glad to say 1999 came and went without chicks in purple wigs and guys still running around in Nehru jackets, as UFO predicted we would, but I'm bummed about the lack of gull-wing doors on cars. ;)

eda-koppo said:
I also question how the current Starbuck could survive against hard vacuum, having only plugged the hole in the Cylon ship with her flight jacket.

That's easy to explain. She kept the flight jacket in place with the Cylon's sticky, slimey, chewy, gooey, chunky guts. It's with those same guts that she cushioned herself against G-forces as she broke away from the planet's atmosphere. Hey, she's supposed to be the best pilot aboard the Big G, so give the gal some credit. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back