Knife on Battlestar Galactica

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched the entire original series and mini series two weeks ago. Some of the shows I haven't seen since 1978. IMO it is still good by today's standards (though nothing beats B5 ;) ) except for a few episodes where they do wierd things like find cowboy planets. The main arc stories are still good. I think the older ships look more "real" but the movement and action of the newer ones is more realistic.

Does anyone want to start a petition to bring back Muffit for the new series? :D ;)

Muffit? You mean the "fracking" daggit from the original series? LOL! With less than 48,000 humans left in the fleet who are on the verge of starving, any dog would be considered lunch meat.

I watched Babylon 5 for a while, but I could never get passed the cartoonish CG space scenes. It always looked like you were watching a video game. The effects on the new BSG series are much more sophisticated, in my opinion.

I'm a die hard fan of the original and personally I think it's a little lame that they are calling this show Battlestar Galactica, don't see the need to pick the bones of the old series. What peeved me was in the reviews for the new show, critics lambasted the old show for being hokey and cheesey. I watched the 70's version on ABC as a kid and I was entranced by it. As another poster had mentioned, the show was intended to be a miniseries, ABC wanted it to be a weekly series and ordered up a slate of episodes. Everyone was totally unprepared and thus some of the episodes have a haphazard quality to them.
BTW, I got the deluxe dvd set of the original series in the Cylon head box for Xmas. Well worth it, nice extras and commentary on the pilot only. I'll catch the new show eventually but for now, I'm too hooked on ABC's Lost, best show on tv.

Tonights show seemed to be laying the groundwork for something else,,,

The show deal with the big cover up of the Boomer/Chief sex stuff...and this leads me to believe that the chief is going to start putting 2 and 2 together soon....

The other half of the show that takes place on planet was also setting something up for later, But I sure have no clue what the Cylons are up to with that whole story line....they had Boomer get taken, then they beat her up, then send her back?...They dint seem interested in learning anything from that airman, so why go to all this trouble?

I wish StarBuck was in more shots, but then we did get enough of her last week, so it must have been time to spread the on-air time around a bit....

Good show,,,,no shooting, but still good show.

DaQo'tah Forge said:
Good show,,,,no shooting, but still good show.
The pilot marooned on Caprica shot the Cylon that attacked him.

There were, however, no Viper or Cylon Raider flights to be seen in tonight's episode, which disappointed me. That's really the best part of the series, as the space fighter craft actually demonstrate a little thing known as inertia...

It was an interesting episode. The extended sublot involving Helo on Caprica is clearly some kind of experiement the Cylons are running to analyze Helo's psychology as a human, or understand human love, or some such thing. I thought it was kind of funny when the Tricia Helfer character says something to the effect that Helo is quite handsome -- to which the Boomer copy comments that she says that about every man (and, in truth, Tricia's Cylon is kind of a ho).

Just the fact that we're getting to see what goes on after the Cylons have conquered the world is interesting; in the original series, we never saw the original colonies again. The idea that Cylons then occupy the world (rather than leaving it in ashes) makes a lot more sense.

The main plot was equally interesting, as Sergeant Hadrian becomes increasingly power mad with the idea that no one -- not even Commander Adama -- can stop her in her quest to determine who's in league with the Cylons. The ongoing paranoia about who among us might be a Cylon is, of course, fertile ground for many episode plots in the future. The Chief's anguish over one of his crew taking the fall to protect his illicit affair with Sharon -- and his subsequent argument with Boomer over it -- was some good acting on the Chief's part (he always has that vaguely ill look that comes with guilt). I thought it ironic that they're conducting their meetings in the very reservoir that Sharon bombed in the episode "Water."

At the episode's climax, when Adama calls off Hadrian's trial and forces the security detail to choose between the two, was a great showdown -- and dovetails nicely with Adama's subsequent conversation with the Chief. Ultimately, Adama knows that there is no authority, no government, no civilization, that the humans do not create themselves. As the commander of Battlestar Galactica he has a great deal of power and can more or less do what he wants as long as he commands the loyalty of the crew. He knows this -- and much as he did when he risked the fleet itself to save Starbuck, he's aware that he can push to get what he wants.

Thus the series continues to explore what it's like to live on the ragged edge of civiliation -- for once civilization is destroyed, the remnants of humanity cling to these ideals but learn just how easy it is to break and forsake them.

Last night was the first one I've seen. I'm a pretty big fan of the 70's Battlestar and a big fan of B5. I wasn't impressed with last nights show, but I'm comeing to the game a little late. I'll be watching it.

moving the story, setting things up,,,and I like the Adama , the way they have changed him from the Original show..yes, I like the way he is so dark,,,,his hands are never all the clean, He is always more interested in his own interests...

The President did warn Adama about things with the inquest getting out of control.

But, the odd part is, you know that the inquest was heading in the right direction...The fact is that the inquest was moveing closer and closer to the Cylon boomer.....all the guys were in fact covering up for her....And that the Chief does know that when the water was lost he knew who was connected before hand, knew of the bombs missing, knew who seemed to be dripping wet before ....

However, I also did love the part where the lady in charge of the inquest tells the guard to hold Adama, and in answer to that Adama tells the guard to put the people off the ship, then just stands there and tells the guard more or less that the question of what to do was all up to him to decide...

You could just feel the guy thinking...

Also, the Blondie seemed really ticked off when the Doc thought about not building the Cylon Finder....whats the story there?
From the way she grabbed him and almost broke his neck, it seems clear to me that the Cylon Finder is the whole point in her being there..

I have to say I'm not a scifi fan and while I was around for the original I was never a fan. But I do like this new show alot. I think the reality factor is up there with showing the darker side of human nature. In the original show it was a little too upbeat and goody-goody, while this one deals with the emotions of people under all kinds of stress and the fact that people will be who they are. In other words idols do indeed sometimes have feet of clay.

Olmos as Adama is a much more beleivable charater, with all the faults and emotions any human being would have. And the frailties that go with them. Just the fact that they wrote into the script him putting on his glasses to study some paperwork makes him a little more of a regular human. The writers have paid much more attention in this new series to the everyday mundane factors. In fact the new Adama reminds me of my C.O. that I served under. An authority figure you could look up to, but he was a motal human being that at times felt things just like the rest of us. I feel whoever did the writing for this show did alot of ground work into the human mental prosseses. Some of the charaters on the show are so much like some of the soldiers I served with. There is yin and yang in all of us,

I like the morality of the new show. This past episode to me was like the good that means well but turns into an evil in it's pursuit of a goal. Like the McCarthy witch hunts. Joseph McCarthy had a worthy goal, but in the course it turned bad and became so consumed in finding commies under every bed some inoccent lives were ruined. Olmos/Adama saw this happening and had the guts to stop it on the spot. And the issue of how far do you go lying to cover for a buddy? Now an inoccent guy is in the brig because of the chiefs affair.

Like I said, I'm not a fan of scifi, and prefer a Tom Selleck western. But this show has grabbed my interest and I like it. I hope the networks don't screw it up.

At least thats the opinion of this cynical old fart.

Last episode did it for me--it was my last episode. Hopeless ripoff of TNG's 4th season episode "The Drumhead," for which Moore was an executive story editor. Granted, TNG had no original stories until well into its second season, but this is ridiculous.

I think of it like this....

What if you were a writer and had a great love of Sci-fi and were now given the chance to write for BattleStar...

There are many shows to draw ideas from,,,many good Star Treks and old BattleStars to get ideas from...

But, we all know that almost all the old shows had a flaw or two in them...Perhaps they had a very good idea that is still important to bring out today too, but the way it was shot or written or even acted back then 20 years ago had a few problems.

I think this new BattleStar TV show has given the writers and actors (who do love Sci-fi) the chance to go back and re-work some idea's of the past and fix the problems that such had the first time out....

EXAMPLE:
There was a show on Star Trek The Next Generation , that had a trial held to see if Data had the right to say "No" to being taken apart. Was Data alive?

But there were a few problems with that show, I never liked the idea of a love story in the middle of it and I never liked the acting role of No2 in that show who just seemed dumped into a position that he would not be placed in on a normal Star ship......

I would love to see a trial where a Cylon like Boomer is on trial to see if she has rights?...can she be taken apart like any tool, a car?....or is she alive and has human rights?

yes, some would watch such a show and just think, "Rip-off",,,but I would want to see how the writers handle the topic and see if they fix the problems I have with it?

DF: The TNG episode you're referring to is "Measure of a Man," ironically the first (to me) interesting TNG episode ever aired and the exact one I was referring to. In any event I've wasted enough time on the new BG show--unwilling to wait 1 or more further years for something I would deem interesting to happen.

Something I forgot on my first reply to this thread: BlackDPlus, the UFO series is out on DVD: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...ref=sr_1_1/104-5786892-2382318?v=glance&s=dvd .

eda-koppo said:
DF: The TNG episode you're referring to is "Measure of a Man," ironically the first (to me) interesting TNG episode ever aired and the exact one I was referring to.

That episode also contained some of the best sci-fi writing of the 90's!

I did some checking around and you can buy the whole season on DVD in England. There are only 13 episodes this season so it may only be a few months before the DVDs are released here. The second season is supposed to have 20 episodes.

YES, as I said, I too liked that Star Trek show about the question of "is Data alive and does he have rights?"

I would love to see the current BattleStar take on this same topic with a Cylon like Boomer.

It would be cool to see them put Boomer on trial....That some want to cut her up to find out how she works, and the others feel she has the right to be kept alive in jail.

and then just at the moment where it looks like Boomer will win the right to life, the Camander Adama says, "No, take her away , do what you need to do,cut her up and find out how the Cylons work!"

and the last shot of her would be her being dragged down a hall screeming and the sound of saws...

Remember on Star Trek , with the question about Data's rights, you knew from the start that they would never do anything harmfull to Data, because he is going to be part of the show next week....

But with Boomer, we dont have to have a happy ending,,,,BattleStar can be dark...and heck, we got more Boomers running around anyway...

DaQo'tah Forge said:
...It would be cool to see...That some want to cut her up to find out how she works, and...the last shot of her would be her being dragged down a hall screeming and the sound of saws...
Right now, a bunch of FBI profilers have become *really* interested in you. :eek:

I recently read "Rebellion" which was a BG novel but with a pretty much ST-type plot. It was bad. IMO it is best to keep ST out of BG, even the new one. Data was made by someone in the Federation and was not an enemy plant. Considering that they had a truce with the Cylons they already recognized that they were life-forms, even if they were artificial.

DaQo'tah Forge said:
and the last shot of her would be her being dragged down a hall screeming and the sound of saws...

No, no, no, Please don't hurt Boomer! Lend her to me for a few nights to test the depths of her human like responces!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back