Knife or Death

Spoiler warning:

I was pulling for Jason too. The course was tough! Jason was faster and I hate knowing he would have won without those penalties!

Last edited by a moderator:
Mr. Jonny! FFS, please give advance spoiler alerts! I had 3 chilled beers to down when it's time out West to watch the episode. Now that you've spoiled the ending, you owe me a full six-pack!

BTW, who's Jason?!

I watched the show last night. I think Nate needs to build a double edge short sword. Something that cuts in both directions although the single edged blade did very well also.

I'm a car guy and a fairly good driver who's done some track. That said, I'll have a very difficult time competing in earnest with a newer Porsche 911 Turbo which has lots of torque and BHP in the hand of another proficient driver, even if I'm driving a respectable 1989 911 Carrera although not in the same plane as the former mentioned! OK, I can catch up on twisty and winding roads if the other driver wusses out, but he'll smoke me on the straights!

This analogy is similar to how the KoD S1 set & course was designed! Anything from a two handed Claymore type to a chef's paring knife?! LOL! Also pairing up 6'4" burley dudes with a 5' littlethereafter" ( :D ) Lil NinJo?!!! In order to level the playing field at least don't stop the clock from one stage onto the another and let it just rip from the start line to the finish line, so that those who are fitter with more nimble blades, have a fighting chance against those who choose heavier and more powerful blades.

#sayzunclematty

That Jason guy showed that you don't have to have a 2-handed blade to compete in the course. His kukri was pretty bad ass!
While that's true, and I was rooting for him, there was a pretty obvious disparity in physical ability between the top Finalists.

The advantage of a 2-handed, longer blade, easily made up for that. I think the difference was easiest to see in Lifeline.

Imagine Jason competing with someone with similar speed and ability, but using a 2-handed blade they're familiar with.

BTW, I have to say, that sword was definitely well made (did the guy say he forged it himself?). Unlike every other sword on the show, it looks like it held up to everything without any issues.

I'm a car guy and a fairly good driver who's done some track. That said, I'll have a very difficult time competing in earnest with a newer Porsche 911 Turbo which has lots of torque and BHP in the hand of another proficient driver, even if I'm driving a respectable 1989 911 Carrera although not in the same plane as the former mentioned! OK, I can catch up on twisty and winding roads if the other driver wusses out, but he'll smoke me on the straights!

This analogy is similar to how the KoD S1 set & course was designed! Anything from a two handed Claymore type to a chef's paring knife?! LOL! Also pairing up 6'4" burley dudes with a 5' littlethereafter" ( :D ) Lil NinJo?!!! In order to level the playing field at least don't stop the clock from one stage onto the another and let it just rip from the start line to the finish line, so that those who are fitter with more nimble blades, have a fighting chance against those who choose heavier and more powerful blades.

#sayzunclematty
Nice analogy.:D

Yeah, they need to vary the course a little more for next season. This season's courses definitely favored the longer bladed, 2-handers. No real speed/finesse obstacles (I categorize the watermelons more along timing than speed/finesse).

I wonder how many (if any) contestants will show up next season with their 10" competition choppers? After seeing this season's courses, no matter how familiar you are with using it, it would be unwise to handicap yourself like that (and disastrous, if they add stabbing obstacles).

Nice analogy.:D

Yeah, they need to vary the course a little more for next season. This season's courses definitely favored the longer bladed, 2-handers. No real speed/finesse obstacles (I categorize the watermelons more along timing than speed/finesse).

I wonder how many (if any) contestants will show up next season with their 10" competition choppers? After seeing this season's courses, no matter how familiar you are with using it, it would be unwise to handicap yourself like that (and disastrous, if they add stabbing obstacles).

At the expense of sounding very biased (duh!) I think that if the course is altered to also include reaction speed, pure speed and agility with a continuous clock instead of a continual clock, that course will benefit the weaponized BC and / or Mr. Keffeler's Sasquatch which will offer more oomph than the WBC but perhaps a little bit more lethargically due to its heavier weight and longer BL. The way the course is designed or on how we conjure that it will be designed for S2 (I'm going with more dramatic sensitization) the game will much more suit a guy > 6' and 200 lb. who happens to be both strong and agile with good stamina / fitness.

Unless they run a separate course for the ladies with more precision cutting and less brutal needed force, there will not be any levity unless the ladies are permitted to juice up which will inevitably result in some untoward and nasty physical side effects ;)

As usual the answer is smachett.

There ya go. :thumbsup: IMHO, a well made smatchet would work. If one edge takes too much of a beating, you would have another fresh one.

The original Fairborn Smatchet had about a 10" blade.

1427l1w.jpg

A double edged blade does make sense. Double the cutting edge, thus double the cutting longevity.
If I had the skills to forge a blade (or commissioned a custom blade specifically for something like this), I'd not only make it double edged with a 2-hand or hand-and-a-half grip, I'd purposely have one edge with an acute grind, and the other, more obtuse.

A tough (but still sharp) edge for wood, ice, crap that might have gravel inside, and a razor sharp edge for meat, rope, fish and anything that needs a slicing sharp edge.

Something like a gladius with a hand-and-a-half handle could be a good option. Still manuevarable 1-handed, plus 2-handed chopping power and 2 edges.

If I knew how to forge a blade, that's what I would do. With the BC, I can actually hold it with 2 hands. I just interlace the pinky of my right hand, with the index finger of my left, sort of like a golf club grip. I'm gonna practice swinging at hanging targets this way, so if I need to double up, I can! My buddy has a bunch of frozen catfish that I'm going to thaw out and practice cutting this weekend.

The final course looks physically demanding, so it looks like I'll start running again. Already lifting weights and doing plyometrics, but my endurance could improve some.

Back