Knife or Death

Yup, +1 penalty and +5 seconds. So the 1 extra penalty was the deciding factor (20 seconds or 30 seconds for each penalty IIRC).

I was surprised that Dan had issues with BallBuster. I figured with his Bladesports practice, chopping up rolling golf balls, those big foam balls would be a cinch! But he doesn't have to clear the table of the golf balls!
And yeah, that duck definitely seemed even easier (skinnier) than the chicken. Has ANYONE made it through the rope yet, this season?

RE: the rope. Not that I remember. Someone, I don't remember who, made it most of the way through. The rope was hanging on one strand.

A rope that has been stored outside can become very difficult to cut. Also, there are some ropes that are made to look like manila but aren't. We once got one in polypropylene by accident that had been made to look like natural fiber. Stretched oriented propylene fiber could make a reasonably good body armor alternative to Kevlar...

Even the initial food cuts got Dan a penalty. That’s a long horizontal slash to hold true, especially with nerves/adrenaline/cameras on you. I imagine if you’re even slightly off at the first (pick one...cantaloupe?), you’re easily going to be off by the end as the Blade travels in a line.
Yep. Especially with the shorter targets, like apples or onions. Not just the arc/trajectory of the swing, but if the angle of the blade is off just a little, as it slices through the first couple fruits/vegetables in the row, the flat of the blade will deflect it in the direction of the tilt.

A rope that has been stored outside can become very difficult to cut. Also, there are some ropes that are made to look like manila but aren't. We once got one in polypropylene by accident that had been made to look like natural fiber. Stretched oriented propylene fiber could make a reasonably good body armor alternative to Kevlar...
Some years back, I temporarily switched my EDC pocket knife to one with a partially serrated blade from encountering one of these weathered nylon/polypropylene ropes.

1" thick and a faded blue. I tried to cut it, and despite my plain edge being shaving sharp, I don't think I cut any deeper than a couple of millimeters after sawing away at it. It felt like I was trying to saw through a PVC pipe with a razor.

My buddy handed me his somewhat dull pocket knife with a partially serrated blade, and the serrations bit in enough to saw through that old rope.

I switched to a partially serrated blade for my EDC for a few months until I thought about it. Over decades of EDC'ing a pocket knife, that was the ONE time a serrated edge had a significant advantage over a shaving sharp plain edge. I switched back to plain edged on my EDC :p

Where Karate Dan beat our Dr. Dan was in the segment where they'd be extinguishing those flames. Dr. Dan fumbled a couple of 'em where Karate Dan extinguished them all, if memory serves me correctly. They were both pretty much on par with the balls and Dr. Dan had Karate Dan beat in the section before they cut down the ropes to climb up the stairs. Barring the extra penalty, Dr. Dan was actually faster and that Karate Dan was pretty darn nimble as evident by his 1st place showing in Knife Fight!

Karate Dan caught a couple of those balls with a tiny little nick. Close enough to count but there was a lot of luck involved.

Karate Dan was very good but it easily could have gone either way.

Had it been 10 to 11 penalties rather than 11 to 10 it would have been a sizable win for Dr. Dan, but that's not the way the chips fell this time. 5 seconds? Damn...

please don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to diminish karate Dan accomplishment. He cut incredibly well and he went head-to-head against one of the greatest cutters in the world and won. That's a hell of an accomplishment. That was a particularly talented field that he went against and beat them all.

I'm just lamenting the fact the gods of luck didn't favor our Dan on that day

Yeah I think of all the episodes this one was loaded ... almost if not all of the competitors on this show would have been in the final two on several of the shows ...

and I kind of thought Dr. Dan had this one ... but expected it to be close ... just maybe not 5 seconds close ... or to favor karate Dan ...

either way after hearing the conditions they ran the course in and how difficult it was from the people we know ... I think they have all done pretty well.

It also looked like after BallBuster and the swinging meat (that swinging meat thingy is really a lot of luck, as even if the meat hits the grill, it sometimes bounces/rolls off), that Dan was a little flustered when he got to the falling melons.

He was faster than Karate Dan. That one additional penalty was the deciding factor. Pity, cuz with the way he trains, I have no doubt he would've focused on whatever he needed to to be even more formidable for the Finale.

P.S.
Props to the kid with the messer making it through Dead Run with only 1 penalty in part 2. That's definitely testament to his eye hand coordination, to miss only one object in the whole run.

It also looked like after BallBuster and the swinging meat (that swinging meat thingy is really a lot of luck, as even if the meat hits the grill, it sometimes bounces/rolls off), that Dan was a little flustered when he got to the falling melons.

He was faster than Karate Dan. That one additional penalty was the deciding factor. Pity, cuz with the way he trains, I have no doubt he would've focused on whatever he needed to to be even more formidable for the Finale.

P.S.
Props to the kid with the messer making it through Dead Run with only 1 penalty in part 2. That's definitely testament to his eye hand coordination, to miss only one object in the whole run.

Dr. Dan’s and Karate Dan’s head-to-head did not have the steak and the grille. They used the water gallons and the extinguisher which is just slightly easier than the former. Karate Dan aced that one IIRC and hence eked out our Dr. Dan after all the penalties were tallied up :(

Dan has some serious moves, you can really see the football playing skills and techniques when he's doing his thing. Super impressive foot work, which I think is a key to his success

If anyone that missed it, I had a friend save the whole episode:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1UV2ZuQeoSuVhZ8o1V4wjqg0YGfaFIfAe/view?usp=sharing

Thanks for the links Jonny! Sitting down to watch now. :cool: Wish there was a way to watch the full episode of Sam's run.

It was a damned close race however you see it! I think if Dr. Dan had a slightly smaller blade, he would have taken it.

I agree Jonny! Don’t know how long the Super Assassin is bit maybe Dr. Dan and Nathan incorporated that factor among others when finalizing the K18. I’m interested to know if Dr. Dan is cooking up a custom version of such knife since he’s developed his own protos per his IG.

As an aside, I was very surprised when Karate Dan and his blade struggled against the 400 lb. ice block! I rewatched the episode and realized that Dr. Dan was the more efficient and the better cutter which is like duh! After all the guy is a multi Bladesport winner but as a layman I was seeing more precise and more efficient cuts where his muscle memory served him best. Karate Dan had better hand eye coordination in the episode so like Lorien had said, maybe it was the lack of wearing his glasses (Dr. Dan) in favor of contact lenses which ultimately cost him those crucial few seconds (penalties).

Back