• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Bad Knife outlet; Buyer beware!

Bought a knife from knife outlet, paid $85.00. Knife craftsmanship was subpar, but what I really couldn't live with was the "leather sheath" they sold with this knife. This sheath is bubble gum machine quality. Absolute trash! Wrote a very polite (much TOO polite) email and asked why. Fred wrote back and said "I don't know why" "You can return it". Nothing on their site about a return policy so I called and asked Fred about shipping charges for returns. His response? "You can send it back but we're not paying for it". Now I'm no snowflake (about as far in the opposite direction as you can get actually) so I don't get "hurt feelings". However, if you're going to be flagrantly rude to your paying customers, you BETTER be selling top quality products and selling them at the best prices around. Knife outlet IS NOT on both counts! You get what you get there and then you're stuck with it unless you want to pay shipping. BEWARE.

Bought a knife from knife outlet, paid $85.00. Knife craftsmanship was subpar, but what I really couldn't live with was the "leather sheath" they sold with this knife. This sheath is bubble gum machine quality. Absolute trash! Wrote a very polite (much TOO polite) email and asked why. Fred wrote back and said "I don't know why" "You can return it". Nothing on their site about a return policy so I called and asked Fred about shipping charges for returns. His response? "You can send it back but we're not paying for it". Now I'm no snowflake (about as far in the opposite direction as you can get actually) so I don't get "hurt feelings". However, if you're going to be flagrantly rude to your paying customers, you BETTER be selling top quality products and selling them at the best prices around. Knife outlet IS NOT on both counts! You get what you get there and then you're stuck with it unless you want to pay shipping. BEWARE.

I don't know what knife and sheath your referring to as you left that information out. Just thought I'd mention that most businesses don't pay for return shipping unless it was an error on they're part. It's been my experience that for $85.00 for a knife and sheath, not to expect much

What is so hard for you understand about their shipping and return policies? You are wanting to return the knife because you don't like it. Therefore the cost of shipping is on you, not them.

https://knifeoutlet.com/terms-and-conditions.html
Terms & Conditions
Simple rules. We don't sell to people under the age of 18. We do not make credit available. We don't ship C.O.D. Sorry, no Paypal. If you wish to pay by money order, simply mail it to us with a note explaining what you want. Don't forget the $7.95 shipping charge unless all products on the order feature free shipping. We accept Visa, Master card, Discover and American Express accounts.
Paypal doesn't like knives and they don't allow us to accept Paypal on the site. If you wish to pay with Paypal just call us at (877) 567-2616 and we'll take care of it.
Returns. We can accept returns for any reason 30 days following the order shipment date. If the return involves a defective product or an error on our part, we will provide a prepaid shipping label by email. After 30 days we refer you to the manufacturer for a warranty claim. Returned items must be complete and unused. In other words they must be in the same condition they were in when we shipped the order.

What is so hard for you understand about their shipping and return policies? You are wanting to return the knife because you don't like it. Therefore the cost of shipping is on you, not them.

https://knifeoutlet.com/terms-and-conditions.html
Terms & Conditions
Simple rules. We don't sell to people under the age of 18. We do not make credit available. We don't ship C.O.D. Sorry, no Paypal. If you wish to pay by money order, simply mail it to us with a note explaining what you want. Don't forget the $7.95 shipping charge unless all products on the order feature free shipping. We accept Visa, Master card, Discover and American Express accounts.
Paypal doesn't like knives and they don't allow us to accept Paypal on the site. If you wish to pay with Paypal just call us at (877) 567-2616 and we'll take care of it.
Returns. We can accept returns for any reason 30 days following the order shipment date. If the return involves a defective product or an error on our part, we will provide a prepaid shipping label by email. After 30 days we refer you to the manufacturer for a warranty claim. Returned items must be complete and unused. In other words they must be in the same condition they were in when we shipped the order.
30 days for returns, any reason, no restocking fee. They'll pay for returns for defective merchandise or their errors.

That's pretty much comparable to the most generous return policies I've seen among knife dealers.

Their policy is reasonable, and they don't make the knife so they're not responsible for sheath quality.
What answer would one expect when a retailer is asked why the product sucks?

The email response could certainly have been more polite, although without seeing the email he was responding to it's hard to say if it could have been interpreted as snarky.

Yeah, I have purchased from Fred many times and he is direct and to the point when he talks and that is wonderful! I returned one knife back to him in my many purchases and I called first and it was not a problem. It was a few years ago and I don't know if I paid return shipping. If I did, it was even a thought or concern to me. And for me not to remember, that is proof that it was no biggie. His private sale emails are always great each month and his prices are not an issue, and less than anybody else.

Only bought once from Fred.Everything was on the up and up.The shipping prices to Canada were reasonable.

His monthly private sale featured, some of the sweetest deals out there.

Last edited:
they don't sell the sheath "with" the knife. The sheath comes with the knife. It's not their product, they aren't responsible for the quality.
Make an informed purchase next time. Their return policy seems more than generous.

Returning something because you don't like it is on you, retailers don't sell things for people to sample and decide their feelings on. They would never make any money if they operated that way.
Perhaps if you had purchased something worth many hundreds of thousands of dollars, but you bought an 85$ knife that you didn't even disclose to us as to what it even is.

Great first post..

Hit and run “feedback” is frustrating, it’s the reason I have a red “1” next to my name.
Since you pointed it out I figured I'd go back and have a look. What a blast from the past! Not exactly a hit and run like this thread. Guy you had problems with is a 20 year member with 5k posts and 90 positive feedbacks. This thread is by a joined today 1st and only post guy. There's no comparison between the two.

Nice to see loyal customers. They are important to the success of a business.

Very few retailers make the products that they sell. Yet, they are responsible for the quality of those producers under federal and state law unless they clearly disclaim all warranties, with specific language, before sale. That has been federal law since 1975. Yet many retailers, some quite renown, try to bury you with post-sale "fine print" that has no legal effect since 1975.

I sent one item back in about 1993. The seller had used the circumference of the khukuri as it's "length." He was in my state. He tried the "all sales are final" gambit, citing the language on his eBay "store site" and "as is" in the solicitation of a bid. But you can't sell "as is" with specific descriptions or with specific warranties, although many try.

Did the seller here say anything about the sheath at all? What is "bubblegum machine quality" - beyond "I am unhappy"? We will likely never know.

I reversed payment on a BSA knife that had one tool rusted shut on delivery, and another BSA knife totally missing a bone scale on the side not shown - same seller. Both described as "excellent condition."

I take it the OP came here just to attack in passing. "Zoom and boom." A bubblegum machine quality review. Not too impressive.

Back