Knife Pic Competition

Wow. I'm lovin' this thread. You guys are good. :thumbup:

Many great photos with spectacular perspectives--and traditional ones.

One thing in general that will help ANYONE'S photos, is to pay close attention to the small details: Give equal spacing from borders, look for odd reflections, keep distracting objects or even patterns on a background from interfering...

Especially the tips. Our eye is going to look at a knife and study it right to the tip. It's a natural focal 'point'. Make sure the tip is uncluttered from the background patterns. Move it to a spot where it is distinct and not crowded.

Do that and you just made a really good shot--a GREAT shot.

Please keep them coming. I'm inspired. :)

Coop

Hinderer XM-18 3.5"

blueclipopen.jpg

blueclipclosed.jpg

3 of 4 Begg Clandestine Combat Fighter prototypes:
Begg_CCF-Prototype-Trio_Front.jpg

A Busse prototype that is as of yet unnamed. I've nicknamed it "The Dark Knife" until Jerry comes up with something better. ;)
Busse-The_Dark_Knife-2c.jpg

In the spirit of this display, I'm going to add some shots of mine that I wouldn't call my typical 'portfolio' shot (which I do mostly).

Here's a couple from a while ago:

orig.jpg

This is the only shot I've ever done of a knife and gun together, and I tried to give it context. From 2002:

orig.jpg

Thanks for starting this thread. :)

Coop

This is really interesting. What seems to come through so clearly in almost all of the above photos is each photographer's fundamental enthusiasm for the knife they've captured so carefully. The pro knife photography game is a little different but even pros like Coop and wanabes like me have made photos that remain special even though technically they don't hold a candle to the regular pro fare. Another way to say it I guess is that a personal connection shows through in these pictures that's very difficult to fake or copy. The image below is one of mine featuring a favorite old knife from my collection - a Gerber Paul custom folder with scrim. I've always loved the knife, the scrim and especially this picture of it:
orig.jpg

Nice shots everyone.

007-1.png

006-1.png

008-1.png

Ban Tang BT4 Fattie. Coop thanks for the advice about the tip of the knife. Obviously I took this one before I read it.

IMG_1712.jpg

Don't really have favorites, but this image of a Spyderco Orange Military is a bit more graphic than the rest of mine.

In the spirit of this display, I'm going to add some shots of mine that I wouldn't call my typical 'portfolio' shot (which I do mostly).

Here's a couple from a while ago:

orig.jpg

This is the only shot I've ever done of a knife and gun together, and I tried to give it context. From 2002:

orig.jpg

Thanks for starting this thread. :)

Coop

I love that little Gerber Coop. What model is it?

Back