Knife picks for various situations!

XtianAus

Gold Member
I know these types of threads have been done alot, but I always enjoying reading peoples inputs and their pictures!
Plus choices/experiences and favourites change.
So if you're not sick of these threads, come join in!

Pick your favourite and best performing knives that you would want to have on you in these various situations.

Rules:
~ Must include at least one GSO knife in at least one of the situations.
~ You must choose at least 1 knife or a max of 3 choices per scenario.
~ You can include knives you do not own only if you legitimately plan on buying them in the near future.

Bonus points for pics!

SCENARIOS
Hiking: Carothers field knife only.
Camping: Swamp rat ratmandu or Gso 6 paired with a budget folder.
SHTF/BUG OUT/rely your life on: Gso 6 & Gso 4.1 & Schrade schf 52.
Zombie Apocalypse: Gso 6, Ratmandu and budget tactical machete.

q99XE9i.jpg

4J56H9L.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry no pics 😕 but I always take my 2.7 with me when I go for short hikes w my kids. Whatever I need it for it gets the job done .

Hiking:
Carothers Field Knife, Necker 2 and Victorinox Spirit Tool.
828090895ef46135a7a1de4a7eff47cc.jpg

Camping:
Carothers Field Knife, GSO 6, Victorinox Spirit Tool and Gransfors Bruk SFA.
c6ce75d09dee014d569c3ab69a74418b.jpg

SHTF:
Carothers Field Knife, GSO 6, Strider SnG and Condor Hudson Bay because the FK and SnG are carried everyday and the GSO 6 and Hudson Bay are in the van.
f3f7f414569ce1188695ba41a384af12.jpg

Zombies Apocalypse:
A Lightsaber while I ride on the back of a Unicorn. Sasquatch will be my sidekick and he rides his trusty Velociraptor.

^^^ LOL, that last sentence is just so friggin hilarious!

Haha I had to be a smartass on that part!
I won't cancel out the possibility of a viral outbreak that could cause cannibalistic tendencies, but the thought of dead tissue coming back to life seems "Fronkenstein-ish".
I could be wrong though. Mel Brooks is a damn genius!

Haha I had to be a smartass on that part!
I won't cancel out the possibility of a viral outbreak that could cause cannibalistic tendencies, but the thought of dead tissue coming back to life seems "Fronkenstein-ish".
I could be wrong though. Mel Brooks is a damn genius!

Sweet pics standard
Especially the 6. But youre making the wait time for the new ones killer.

And hey, i never said realistic situations haha
I too do not think it is possible for to happen, but where's the fun in that!?

Sweet pics standard
Especially the 6. But youre making the wait time for the new ones killer.

And hey, i never said realistic situations haha
I too do not think it is possible for to happen, but where's the fun in that!?

Thanks bud!
I'm still pretty shocked that the 6 was so far down the line. I'm going to get in on one once the presale happens.
I just had to yank people's chain with the zombie apocalypse stuff! I have friends that love those shows and all I can do is roll my eyes.

Thanks bud!
I'm still pretty shocked that the 6 was so far down the line. I'm going to get in on one once the presale happens.
I just had to yank people's chain with the zombie apocalypse stuff! I have friends that love those shows and all I can do is roll my eyes.

I really think the new spec 6 one is going to be unbeatable against anything in its size. Super keen for mine. Hopefully i am not expecting to much from it :D
How are you finding your 4.7? Looks like an absolute tank of a knife.

And i am with your friends on that one..i love zombie shows/movies lol...but i am certain it wouldnt ever happen in reality, but hey!

Thanks bud!

Before my boy went off to college I'd come in and he'd have The Walking Dead on. I was the same as you, I'd roll my eyes and say bud, what in the world are you watching that for?!

Then one night I walked by and Daryl Dixon is using a Busse TGLB. What the heck, got my attention now! And then another dude pulls out a doggoned SR Rattlehawk a bit later. That did it :D

So for the fun of it on scenarios:

Hiking: Swamprat RMD, GSO 4.1, CPK FK

3HsEXLb.jpg

Camping: I...like...big...blades (and I cannot lie) for camping if it's a drive-up spot, just for the fun factor. Let's go with KDSH, GSO 10, and Swamprat Chopweiler, or maybe a NMFSH.

SHTF/Bugout: Swamprat M9, GSO 10 or Swamprat Ratweiler. Maybe even the Rat Mastiff.

Z/A: KDSH for sure. Then add a SYKCO 1111 and either a GSO 4.7 or CPK FK. Sorry, no pic of the 1111.

ZpTtKZs.jpg

Last edited:
I really think the new spec 6 one is going to be unbeatable against anything in its size. Super keen for mine. Hopefully i am not expecting to much from it :D
How are you finding your 4.7? Looks like an absolute tank of a knife.

And i am with your friends on that one..i love zombie shows/movies lol...but i am certain it wouldnt ever happen in reality, but hey!
I feel the same way about the 6. The size is just right for so many different tasks.
The 4.7 is a tank for sure. Just a tad bit bigger and heavier than the FK, but not ridiculous. I'm going to try to use it a bit before I move from this house.

Before my boy went off to college I'd come in and he'd have The Walking Dead on. I was the same as you, I'd roll my eyes and say bud, what in the world are you watching that for?!

Then one night I walked by and Daryl Dixon is using a Busse TGLB. What the heck, got my attention now! And then another dude pulls out a doggoned SR Rattlehawk a bit later. That did it :D

So for the fun of it on scenarios:

Hiking: Swamprat RMD, GSO 4.1, CPK FK

3HsEXLb.jpg

Camping: I...like...big...blades (and I cannot lie) for camping if it's a drive-up spot, just for the fun factor. Let's go with KDSH, GSO 10, and Swamprat Chopweiler, or maybe a NMFSH.

SHTF/Bugout: Swamprat M9, GSO 10 or Swamprat Ratweiler. Maybe even the Rat Mastiff.

Z/A: KDSH for sure. Then add a SYKCO 1111 and either a GSO 4.7 or CPK FK. Sorry, no pic of the 1111.

ZpTtKZs.jpg

That show is amusing but I can see how it's addicting.
The one zombie flick I liked was World War Z just because it was somewhat believable.

That's one heck of a nice selection you chose!

Thanks bud. I was just trying to stay inside Christian's parameters and have some fun. At least stay inside them as close as I could ha!

Ya I've watched that flick a couple of times. It's a good one for sure. :thumbup:

Looks like a lot of nice steel has taken up residence in Cali recently, too :)

SCENARIOS
Hiking: new spec 4.1 or 4.7, I'll need to handle both side by side to decide!!!
Camping: 2.7, 4.1 and 12
SHTF/BUG OUT/rely your life on: 4.7 or 6
Zombie Apocalypse: 12 (duh), Miller Bros Blades m8, tactical slaughter hammer of some kind like this MBB or Cold Steel. I've heard people talk about using knives or swords to battle zombies because they don't run out of ammo, but can you imagine how an edge would hold up in a post apocalyptic setting when it's constantly slamming into skulls and bone? I'd go with something heavy and blunt because it never needs to be sharpened! What is it I've heard those preppers say? "The hardest part of a zombie apocalypse would be hiding my excitement".

Also, honorable mentions would go to my Leatherman surge and Silky bigboy. The Leatherman would be added into most scenarios and the Silky would be needed for camping.

I keep forgetting how much of a beast the M8 is and seeing it next to the 4.7 sure did remind me!
What beast of a knife for sure.
Great pictures and contribution SN

Thanks, Xtian! Fun thread :D

Yes, HK, I do declare they're all MBB. Not mine, sadly, but here is the un-cropped pic I found on Google.

Back