Knife Recommendation?

I'm a Spydie fan, with a handful of Spyderco knives (a Dragonfly, 440V Native, SS Native, and a SpyderCard). I find that for daily carry I either go with the Dragonfly (when I want something light and small) or the 440V Native (usually when I'm wearing jeans).

I'd like something now that's in-between the size of the Dragonfly and the Native. Maybe with a 2.75" to 3" blade, fairly lightweight.

Any recommendations? I've been considering a Calypso Jr. Lightweight, but would like some others to choose between. I like Zytel, but have a lot of Zytel knives and wouldn't mind trying something else (micarta? g-10?)

Thanks,

------------------

--Frank C.

How about a Delica? Also, the Calypso Jr. you mention seems like a good choice. I've been looking at it myself.

If you're looking to try a new handle material, how about a Rookie or a Standard in G-10? Both have blades around three inches--the Rookie a thin, pointy blade and the Standard a thicker, wider blade.

------------------
- Guyon
AKTI Member since 2000!

"The hardest knife ill-used doth lose his edge"
-William Shakespeare, Sonnet 95

FrankC-

Call up SMKW and tell them you want a Spyderco Rookie in G-10. For 39.99, you cannot go wrong. Excellent knife- rock solid and totally underrated. Plus, they may not be around much longer in the Spyderco family. I'd say it would be an excellent addition to your collection. Heck, they sold for $99.95 originally....

clip

p.s. if you get one, and don't like it- drop me a line and I'll take it off your hands...
wink.gif

I will second the great deal on the rookie. I bought 2! They also have the standard for $42. Both knives have been discontinued. The phone number is 1-800-251-9306

------------------
Dennis Bible

C49 Wenger Jr., the best knife they make (made).

------------------
James Segura
San Francisco, CA

The calypso jr. lightweight is currently my daily carry knife. Normally I dislike zytel knives because of the "cheap" feeling I get when holding one (though I know the material is still very good). This was not the case with the calypso lightweight. I'm not sure why, maybe it was the scales, but I liked the knife right out of the box. The calypso jr. micarta is also a great knife.

Agree with the above posts but no one has yet mentioned the Calypso Jr. Micarta / in AUS-8. Great knife. Really a classic. Though it would be hard to argue with the Wegner Jr or G-10 Rookie.

------------------
Roger Blake

Or an absolute sure bet would be to take stjames' suggestion. The Wegner Jr. is awesome, hands down Spyderco's best smaller knife. (3" blade or less) Good luck finding one- they are discontinued- and it will cost you anywhere from $78.00 to over $100.00.

All the ones listed thus far are great choices. You can't really go wrong with any of them. Just buy them all! You'll have them all eventually anyways.
biggrin.gif

I would recommend that if you're thinking about a Wegner Jr.- start looking now. If you enjoy your Spydercos, and coming to this forum, sooner or later someone is going to put the idea in your head that you NEED a Wegner Jr. (You do of course) I'd try to get one now before they are gone forever.

Let us know if you decide on anything, I'd be curious to see what you got.

clip

This is why this place is so great; I started with one choice (Calypso Jr) and now I have a bunch to check out.
smile.gif

I like the Calypso, but it looks almost like a larger version of the Dragonfly. Nothing wrong with that, but I wouldn't mind something different.
smile.gif
I've only seen pictures of the fuller-sized Wegner; is the Jr. model the same shape, just smaller?

I'll do some shopping and see what turns up.

------------------

--Frank C.

Frank, I'll go with Stjames and clip ... Wegner Jr's the one ... a bargain if you can still find it.

I've only seen pictures of the fuller-sized Wegner; is the Jr. model the same shape, just smaller?

AFAIK, yes, tho the smaller Wegner Jr seems even more solid, possibly because material thickness (ie, blade and G-10) are not smaller in the same proportions as the overall size/length.

This knife almost defines light and small, but conversely has tremendous functionality owing to a generous cutting edge length, thick spine almost right up to the tip, and great ergonomics.

A great all-around knife, especially those partial to liner-locks.

If you want to try Mirarta and be in the middle of the road try either a Jess Horn or a Goddard Jr. I think you will be very pleased with either.

------------------
Bill
Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia

Thanks for the help everyone. The Wegner Jr. looks fantastic, but I couldn't pony up the cash for one right now.

Ended up getting a Calypso Jr. Lightweight; it just arrived. Sharp as can be (sharper than any other Spyderco I've gotten, and they were themselves quite sharp!).

Also picked up a Carbon Fiber ladybug for my keychain. How does CF hold up? Should I expect it to get quite scratched up from the keys?

Thanks,

------------------

--Frank C.

Back