Knife Regrind. Looking for recommendations

So recently Ive contacted Tom Kriend looking.to have a regrind done, and as Ive read he is no longer doing regrind work. My question is.. who is it you guys are trusting with your regrinds now? Ive been doing some research and Ive found a.fellow named Richard J on here that some are happy with and also Brad Southard (found through google). I just need some recemmendations as to who I should have regrind one of my knives.

Both Richard J and Brad Southard would be great candidates. I do my own re-grinds and it's actually quite fun for the most part. If you have a semi-decent belt sander and some good ceramic belts you could do it yourself.

Just a general question: do you think blade heat treat will be affected by regrinds? I'm also looking for a regrind.

I had Reese Weiland do a Microtech Scarab for me and he did a nice hollow grind with a hand satin finish. He also is very reasonable with his pricing and is just a super cool guy to deal with. I cant recommend him enough.

Well currently Richard J can not do regrinds. He is still doing sharpening tho! What a great guy he is to talk to! Brad Southard is not doing regrinds any longer also. Ive contacted a couple more people waiting to hear back. I wonder if anyone is still doing knife regrinds

Are you looking for forum members and/or private individuals only? There is a cutluary shop local to me that does it (I've had 2 reground there, I also use to have all my knives sharpened there till I learned to do it myself). I was more than happy with the work and being local I was able to pick my knives up just 2 days later from being reground. I know for a fact they still sharpen as one of my friends just took me there on a shopping trip a few weeks ago and they were sharpening a knife while we were lookig around, I'm not 100% if they still do regrinding but its a very well known shop around the whole state and it doesn't seem like they would stop offering a service that's almost all profit for them. If your cool with a shop as opposed to a private individual get in touch with me [email or PM] and I'll be happy to get you their contact info.

Edit: I don't want to be in violation of any advertising policy's here so I'm not mentioning the name or even city/state in open forum, I hope that's correct.

Last edited:
Both Richard J and Brad Southard would be great candidates. I do my own re-grinds and it's actually quite fun for the most part. If you have a semi-decent belt sander and some good ceramic belts you could do it yourself.

Your actually the one who kind of convinced me to try a regrind myself after seeing a few posts of yours! I reground my delica which is a relatively easy one to do but it was fun and turned out great.

Just a general question: do you think blade heat treat will be affected by regrinds? I'm also looking for a regrind.

As long as you work slow and keep the blade cool it should be fine. Its no different than a knifemaker doing the post HT grinding on the knife itself.

What exactly is a regrind for you? Do you want to turn a FFG into a full convex grind? Meaning do you want to regrind the whole knife from edge to spine or do you just want to thin the final edge bevel(say the first 1/4" inch of the edge)? If you want to just thin the edge, Scott Gossman does a great job. I sent him my Scrapyard 711 and just told him to put the edge on that he would want if it was his knife. It came back with a thin compound grind. Thin flat part of the blade up to the belly then gradually widening to the tip. A slicer that still has a robust tip for prying into stumps. It made the knife totally different. In a good way. :D

Back