Knife Review: Extrema Ratio T4000 C

Included in this review of the Extrema Ratio T4000 C, a compact classic Tanto with Extrema Ratio's tactical sheath and handle, are a video with an overview and detailed measurements, galleries of the packaging, sheath, and knife, plus insights into how it is to use.

Let's take a closer look.

(This thread is a new approach for me regarding sharing my reviews. Forums are where I came from, and the discussion on forums is something I hope to be involved in and inspire. It has become too much work to convert the reviews published on my website into forum versions, so I need to try something else to stay in touch with the forums.

To the Moderators, there is a reciprocal link at the end of every review on Tactical Reviews. If you have any concerns over this approach please let me know.)

Click on the photo below to go to the full review, but please come back here to discuss.

The video tour of the T4000 C:
In case you haven't seen this video overview and vital statistics of the T4000 C, here it is. This video covers a quick tour of the knife and sheath and a detailed technical measurements section.

A good look round the T4000 C's Sheath - Things to look out for here are:
Even though 'Compact' the sheath manages to fit in a lot of features and details. Solidly constructed and made to fit the compact knife perfectly. On the back is a set of PALS/MOLLE webbing and strap, with the front also having webbing for mounting a small pouch or other item. A gap in the welt at the base of the sheath allows for free flowing drainage. To comfortably accommodate the thick blade stock the welt is similarly sized.
A strong double press-stud retaining strap wraps the handle and keeps the knife securely in place. you can adjust the position of the retaining strap as it is held in place with a Velcro adjusting system. There is an anti-catch smooth plastic insert backing the sheath to prevent wear and damage to the back of the sheath when sheathing the knife.
With there not being a specific belt loop, using the MOLLE strap, you can make your own belt loop to fit the size of the belt.

What is it like to use?

It's a tanto - nice - I always like a tanto. There is a practicality of having an almost chisel-like tip and what I refer to as the secondary point (where the tip and main edge meet) for various cuts instead of using the actual tip of the knife.
The elegant lines are simply a pleasure to look at as well as to use, and being the compact knife class from Extrema Ratio this is a really useful day to day blade. Something you are more likely to pick up and use, as it is very practical.

I knew after measuring the factor edge I would want to re-profile the edge bevel, 25DPS is too wide/heavy for a small knife, even 20DPS would be more than I want. But before doing this, with the sharpness measuring a respectable 281 BESS average I wanted to see how it fared. It would not shave arm hair with this edge, however...

Factory edge put to some minor fire prep tasks. The wood here is fully seasoned so much harder than any green wood. Kindling and feather sticks, perfectly good with these little pieces of wood, using the edge out of the box.

Once you have checked out the full review, please come back here to discuss.

You forgot your disclaimer from your site:​

The test sample/s featured in the articles published on this website have been provided for technical testing and review by the manufacturer. Test samples are retained by the reviewer following publication of the completed review…​

You forgot your disclaimer from your site:​

The test sample/s featured in the articles published on this website have been provided for technical testing and review by the manufacturer. Test samples are retained by the reviewer following publication of the completed review…​

That is why there is a permanent disclaimer on my website so I can't forget. But fortunately I've always got you to help out.

With my reviews you will find a wealth of measurements and information that are not subjective. Take from any review what you want.

Simple human nature would indicate that a negative review by you would result in no more free knives for Subwoofer CPF. Your failure to state your relationship with the manufacturers is disengenuous at best, if not a straigh out con.

You also request donations as if you are a non-profit. That’s chutzpa.

Last edited:
Simple human nature would indicate that a negative review by you would result in no more free knives for Subwoofer CPF. Your failure to state your relationship with the manufacturers is disengenuous at best, if not a straigh out con.

You also request donations as if you are a non-profit. That’s chutzpa.
You clearly have a problem with an enthusiast finding a way that works for them to create knife related content. Of course everyone should take what they read on the internet with a pinch of salt - to do anything else is naive.

Exactly for the purpose of remaining honest and clear (and not forgetting) about the way things are I included the Disclosure page. This is a permanent feature. You instead have decided to throw about accusations of dishonesty when I provide all the information up front.

As I stated previously most of my review content is objective. Measurements, calculations, photographs, all presenting factual information. No opinion, no bias; simple facts. Of course there is then the aspect of an enthusiast being enthusiastic, and looking at what something is good at. Is a knife a good hammer? Of course not, so instead consider its strengths.

Bear in mind that the greatest bias in any review is typically due to buyer's remorse and the need to publicly justify the purchase and seek reassurances. So in fact the reviews you should be most wary of are those of private individuals who are significantly more biased and don't provide anything like the technical and objective information I do.

The reason for creating a forum post is exactly as I state - I love forums and want to support them. Raising topics for discussion is part of that support. Not criticising people that create content.

I have disabled all discussion and commenting on my website and encourage people to visit Bladeforums (in fact I am advertising Bladeforums). Do you do that? Or do you discourage people by criticising them?

I am an enthusiast, and I run a review website as a 'hobby job' in my spare time and at my own expense as I choose to enquire and investigate various gear that interests me, and then share that. This works for me.

Yes I have a donate button should any of the content consumers that either find my output useful or enjoyable decide they would like to support my work. I ask this as I can only just about justify what it cost me to do things the way I do as a leisure activity. There are a lot of hidden costs, and even if you factored in the 'profit' from the value of samples reviewed, it does not cover it.
FYI - for openness and clarity I have received a total of £0.33 in donations - no one seems to want to give any financial appreciation for content creators, just take take take. This is fine, everyone does it; eventually paywalls go up.

It is also not possible to provide the level of testing and insight by 'turning over' items as you suggested. Each sample enters a reference library for comparative testing. In effect, to me, they are of no financial value.

I have taken a lot of time and bothered to reply to you in detail on this occasion as it seems you have not actually thought beyond your own fixed ideas on the subject.

You clearly have a problem with an enthusiast finding a way that works for them to create knife related content. Of course everyone should take what they read on the internet with a pinch of salt - to do anything else is naive.

Exactly for the purpose of remaining honest and clear (and not forgetting) about the way things are I included the Disclosure page. This is a permanent feature. You instead have decided to throw about accusations of dishonesty when I provide all the information up front.

As I stated previously most of my review content is objective. Measurements, calculations, photographs, all presenting factual information. No opinion, no bias; simple facts. Of course there is then the aspect of an enthusiast being enthusiastic, and looking at what something is good at. Is a knife a good hammer? Of course not, so instead consider its strengths.

Bear in mind that the greatest bias in any review is typically due to buyer's remorse and the need to publicly justify the purchase and seek reassurances. So in fact the reviews you should be most wary of are those of private individuals who are significantly more biased and don't provide anything like the technical and objective information I do.

The reason for creating a forum post is exactly as I state - I love forums and want to support them. Raising topics for discussion is part of that support. Not criticising people that create content.

I have disabled all discussion and commenting on my website and encourage people to visit Bladeforums (in fact I am advertising Bladeforums). Do you do that? Or do you discourage people by criticising them?

I am an enthusiast, and I run a review website as a 'hobby job' in my spare time and at my own expense as I choose to enquire and investigate various gear that interests me, and then share that. This works for me.

Yes I have a donate button should any of the content consumers that either find my output useful or enjoyable decide they would like to support my work. I ask this as I can only just about justify what it cost me to do things the way I do as a leisure activity. There are a lot of hidden costs, and even if you factored in the 'profit' from the value of samples reviewed, it does not cover it.
FYI - for openness and clarity I have received a total of £0.33 in donations - no one seems to want to give any financial appreciation for content creators, just take take take. This is fine, everyone does it; eventually paywalls go up.

It is also not possible to provide the level of testing and insight by 'turning over' items as you suggested. Each sample enters a reference library for comparative testing. In effect, to me, they are of no financial value.

I have taken a lot of time and bothered to reply to you in detail on this occasion as it seems you have not actually thought beyond your own fixed ideas on the subject.

I've been reading/looking at your reviews since your first. My comments have been carefully considered and edited and were only made after reading your website more than once.

I've been reading/looking at your reviews since your first. My comments have been carefully considered and edited and were only made after reading your website more than once.
So you are also a CandlePowerForums user then? (as my first reviews were posted there long before having a website)

Back on topic, do you have any comments about the T4000 C?

Back